X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to use old oss modules

Hi.

For some games I need the old oss modules.

snd-seq-oss
    snd-pcm-oss

However the Ubuntu kernel is compiled without those modules.

In the past I have just downloaded the ubuntu kernel source and recompiled it including those modules.

Is there another way to get them so I can avoid the hassle of having to do this (its annoying due to the frequency of kernel updates)?

Cheers

you could try the "alsa-oss" or "oss-compat" packages one or the other.........the alsa-oss will try to put a wrapper around the program that requires the oss , the oss-compat enables the alsa compatibility modules.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks for the reponse vinny.

However the alsa-oss and compat packages do not actually contain the needed modules.

The only way I can get certain games to work so far is by recompiling the kernel with those modules - but I really can;t be bothered to keep compiling the kernel after each update.

if I try alsa-oss - aoss it doesn;t work - I have a intel HDA card btw..

---------------------------------------
      ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libaoss.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
      ---------------------------------------

I have tried both the alsa-oss and alsa-oss :i386 packages

Its actually preventing me using (k)ubuntu full time, on Arch the modules are compiled in (but not loaded unless specified) which is far easier

Anyone know how I can use oss modules 'without' compiling a new kernel ?
      Last edited by yossarianuk; Apr 03, 2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

did you try using padsp to run that application?

Comment

Originally posted by Quintasan View Post
          did you try using padsp to run that application?
          Thanks for the advise however this also doesn't work........

--------------------------------------------
          padsp ./paintball2

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pulseaudio/libpulsedsp.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
          --------------------------------------------

Just to confirm I have the following packages installed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
          dpkg -l |egrep "pulse|alsa|oss-"c
          ii alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1 all ALSA driver configuration files
          ii alsa-oss 1.0.25-1 i386 ALSA wrapper for OSS applications
          ii alsa-utils 1.0.25-3ubuntu2 amd64 Utilities for configuring and using ALSA
          ii bluez-alsa:amd64 4.101-0ubuntu6 amd64 Bluetooth ALSA support
          ii gstreamer0.10-alsa:amd64 0.10.36-1ubuntu1.1 amd64 GStreamer plugin for ALSA
          ii gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio:amd64 0.10.31-3ubuntu1.2 amd64 GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
          ii libcanberra-pulse:amd64 0.29-0ubuntu2 amd64 PulseAudio backend for libcanberra
          ii libpulse-mainloop-glib0:amd64 1:2.1-0ubuntu4 amd64 PulseAudio client libraries (glib support)
          ii libpulse-mainloop-glib0:i386 1:2.1-0ubuntu4 i386 PulseAudio client libraries (glib support)
          ii libpulse0:amd64 1:2.1-0ubuntu4 amd64 PulseAudio client libraries
          ii libpulse0:i386 1:2.1-0ubuntu4 i386 PulseAudio client libraries
          ii libpulsedsp:amd64 1:2.1-0ubuntu4 amd64 PulseAudio OSS pre-load library
          ii libpulsedsp:i386 1:2.1-0ubuntu4 i386 PulseAudio OSS pre-load library
          ii oss-compat 2ubuntu1 amd64 Open Sound System (OSS) compatibility package
          ii pulseaudio 1:2.1-0ubuntu4 amd64 PulseAudio sound server
          ii pulseaudio-module-bluetooth 1:2.1-0ubuntu4 amd64 Bluetooth module for PulseAudio sound server
          ii pulseaudio-module-x11 1:2.1-0ubuntu4 amd64 X11 module for PulseAudio sound server
          ii pulseaudio-utils 1:2.1-0ubuntu4 amd64 Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound server
          -----------------------------------

If I recompile the ubuntu kernel with

CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS:
          CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS:

I get the old oss modules - the pulseaudio / alsa oss emulation doesn't appear to work without them...

lspci shows the device as

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
          Last edited by yossarianuk; Apr 06, 2013, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X