This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing php mails within localhost env.

There is one very small and powerful tool that makes our web.dev life a several tons easier. Unfortunatelly, that little thingy is available only for windoze. Here is the link for that thingy >> Test Mail Server Tool.
    The brief description on the webpage tells everything about that tool and what it does. It captures smtp port 25 and mimics sent mail, automatically firing up your default mail client so that one doesn't need to setup and configure mail server in order to test php script, or to test mail directly on remote server with real email accounts, etc. Quite handy, indeed.

Now, I've been -fighting- with postfix mail server here on Kubuntu for a three or four hours and I won, I managed php mail() function to send and to work with postfix, but .. I just don't know how to make Kmail to read mails from www-data file where all outgoing emails are.

Actually, what I would like to accomplish is the same thing as that Test Mail Server Tool is doing. Just to mimic smtp:25 in localhost environment in order to test php_mail scripts (the default mail() function), without any mail server configured, if that's possible. And I believe it is.. Even if it isn't as this is the server in it's nature, what would be more better than postfix?
    I don't need mail client autostarting.. (generally, I don't use offline mail clients for a years) I don't need specifically Kmail, any other will do fine, .. just to force mail sent from a web form, web-page .. to view that mail from mail client.

How can I achieve this? I've tried several (bunch of, more precisely) tuts on this, but none applied in my scenario.
    This is by the way, the last thing left for me to setup on this K baby. Apache works, php works.. virtual hosts works.. local subdomains works... sending mails works.. but.. I need to see them. Those test mails. Yes, I can view them with nano or kate.. but, that's quite suicidal hardcore way of previewing sent mails within localhost.

Thanks in advance.
    "If women are able to fake orgasm, we are than able to fake the whole relationship."

Webmin has a simple mail reader for system emails and is useful for server setup and maintenance ect... Even has a config tool for Postfix.

Comment

Thanks. This did the trick.

Sees all, displays all. Not the source, but the message body, just as particular client or user sees when opens it's mailbox .. exactly what I needed. This thing doesn't even care about mail server.. nor the daemons or groups able to send mail.. yikes. And the name of the application tells everything. This is complete administartor suite that runs in a web browser. Startup and running services are there to manupulate with ... too. With a million more options and views for anything. You name it.. it's there.

Handy tool this is, quite cool thing to play with.
      This one should be added to the default list of Kubuntu software.

sixonetonofun, I owe you a beer.
      "If women are able to fake orgasm, we are than able to fake the whole relationship."

Comment

Working...
      X