X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalyst 13.1 (dual Radeon) I have a few problems

Hello community

----@Kubuntu-DV6:~$ uname -a
    Linux Kubuntu-DV6 3.5.0-23-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 24 13:15:40 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I installed Kubuntu 12.10 awhile ago on my HP pavilion DV-6 with AMD APU 3410MX and dual radeon 6520g(apu) and 6755g2.
    I have had problems with my dual radeon but I thought it was solved (maybe it is),so after manually installation of Catalyst 13.1 I have problems shutingdown my Kubuntu(sudo shutdown -h now also do not work) and if I put my Kubuntu to sleep it goes to sleep but after it wakes up I have black screen and nothing works(crtl+alt+F1 do not work).

I found this similar bug for my dual radeon but only the 13.1 driver solved the problem I think.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1085704

I do not know if this shutdown problem or sleep and wake up problem is linked with the Catalyst 13.1 but it started after the installation.

Also I have Win7 on my Notebook + Chakra Linux(it works well with Catalyst 12.8 and Kernel 3.6.6)+Fedora 18(only testing)

This is my first post on the Kubuntu forum and I am using Kubuntu since 12.04 on my Desktop.

I hope some one can help me.

Maybe I am on the wrong forum section but I still do not know what the problem exactly is,so if I am on the wrong forum section and an Admin sees it please move it to the right section to solve my problem.

If I need to provide more information please say it.

edit:thanks for moveing the post ,I was obviously on the wrong forum section.
    Last edited by NatsuPower; Feb 02, 2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

You made a back-up for old, default drivers, first, than, You removed them, the default drivers, rebooted, before Catalyst installation .. those were Your steps, right? Or You didn't .. (we don't know that)? The point is that You can't just "slap" them over the old ones, like with m$ env, where you can do that and it will work, Linux is still a server. A little bit comlpex, sure, You know that by your self, already. In order to work stable, some simple rulez must be followed. Otherwise, minor problems can occur. However, catalyst is a crap. AMD support is misearable. And I am just a noob here, so, just guessing.
      Last edited by Bald.Penguin; Feb 03, 2013, 11:55 AM.
      "If women are able to fake orgasm, we are than able to fake the whole relationship."

Comment

@Bald.Penguin I did not made a back-up of the old driver.I have removed the fglrx-updates driver first and rebooted then manually installed the Catalyst 13.1 following this German guide http://wiki.linuxgaming.de/index.php...n_%28Ubuntu%29 Methode 1 (GUI-Methode) and it worked fine my first problem was solved with it but I have yet this new shutdown problem and black screen after sleep.

Yeah the amd driver is **** so is the driver my problem?(but the driver works fine)

Comment

Ok obviously the driver is the problem so how to remove a manually installed Catalyst?
          I do not see the Catalyst(fglrx) in Muon or the Software center.

I want to remove the Catalyst 13.1 reboot and try again to install it maybe this will work.

Comment

OK it seems I have solved the problem.

After the manually installation of Catalyst 13.1 I switched from High-performance mode to low-performance mode after that I had those above problems but I solved it the same way.

Switch to High-performance mode and reboot and then switch to low-performance mode and reboot and then all works no problem.

I will mark this tread as solved.

Edit: not solved it ,the problem was only gone for a reboot xD

Can some one help me already or show some command line magic to show what the problem exactly is to solve it?

and the same problem now I have on Chakra Linux after the update to Catalyst 13.1 with Linux Kernel 3.7.5
            Last edited by NatsuPower; Feb 08, 2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

OK I have done some testing on both Kubuntu 12.10 and Chakra Linux.

It is exactly the same behaviour of the Catalyst 13.1 driver so the same problems.

The switching from High to Low performance mode do not work how it should so if I switch to High-performance it works all well no shutdown or sleep problem no kernel panic no force shutdown but on Catalyst I see it is on High-performance and if I type
              [----@Chakra-DV6 ~]$ aticonfig --lsa
              * 0. 00:01.0 AMD Radeon HD 6520G
              1. 01:00.0 AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series
              * - Default adapter
              (the xorg.conf changes never on both systems after switching and the same card stays selected)

so my low power mode is selected but the gpu cooler on the left side is working and it is hoter.(low mode=no gpu cooler working+cooler)

If some one need more info to help me please ask me.

Comment

Some one with the same notebook told me a workaround how to bring the Low performance mode to work.

1.Reinstall 12.04
                2.Install fglrx with jockey and switch to Low performance mode
                3.Upgrade to 12.10

Yeah this worked better than installing 12.10 and than installing the fglrx driver but still I do not have the option to switch from low to high performance mode but this is not Kubuntu problem it is to AMD driver.

This driver is still terrible working on Low performance mode with little cpu usage 50 C hot(it should be 40 C) and bad batterer live.

I will mark this thread as solved as it is working now some how but only a good AMD driver can solve the problem.

thanks for the help

Comment

I can't believe yet, my laptop works with Ubuntu 12.04 and recently I have installed the AMD Driver 9.012 (Catalyst 13.1 I guess) and I couldn't shutdown or reboot it normally. I was thinking that the problem was a installation of another driver (for Intel VTUNE), so I test (accidentally I read that here, and said WTF!) change to High Performance mode, reboot, change to Low Performance mode, reboot again, and voilà ...

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by romeluko View Post
                    I can't believe yet, my laptop works with Ubuntu 12.04 and recently I have installed the AMD Driver 9.012 (Catalyst 13.1 I guess) and I couldn't shutdown or reboot it normally. I was thinking that the problem was a installation of another driver (for Intel VTUNE), so I test (accidentally I read that here, and said WTF!) change to High Performance mode, reboot, change to Low Performance mode, reboot again, and voilà ...

Thanks a lot!
                    Nice to hear if you solved your problem but be careful with every new version of Kubuntu and Catalyst maybe it do not work with the next version.

I changed my main Linux system on my Notebook to openSUSE 12.3 with Catalyst 13.3-beta3 it works how it should and still keeping Kubuntu 12.04.

Comment

Working...
                    X