This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encryption (Kgpg and Kleopatra)

Trouble with both kgpg and Kleopatra. A Forum search on "kgpg" shows I've had a lot of problems with this before --- sorry, guys, but here's another one.

Kgpg gives this: "GnuPG failed to start. You must fix the GnuPG error first before running KGpg." The "details" are:
    "gpg: WARNING: unsafe enclosing directory permissions on configuration file '~/.gnupg/gpg.conf' " I don't know what that means. The file gpg.conf is set to allow only the user (me) to read and write.

Past problems with Kgpg led to using Kleopatra. This new QQ Kleopatra encrypts OK (using a key imported from an earlier installation), but trying to decrypt the very file I just encrypted returns this:
    "Filename.gpg > Filename: Decryption failed: Bad passphrase" even though I was never ASKED to enter a passphrase!

There's something very basic wrong here, I think. I'm using keys imported from a .gnupg on my backup hard disk; Kleopatra's "Look up certificates on server" doesn't seem to do anything. I have the server set as hkp://subkeys.pgp.net with port 11371 and a search with my key name partly typed in seems to begin but stop immediately.

EDIT1: Booting up today, Kleopatra's Self-Test gives this: [Test Name] Gpg-Agent Connectivity [Result] not reachable. So it's not connecting to the key server...

EDIT2: Kgpg is now working --- apparently I didn't have the gpg.conf permissions set widely enough. Chmod 700 did it; here's the advice:
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index...c=78127.0;wap2 . Kleopatra is still not working but my encrypted files are now easily accessible.
    Last edited by werdigo49; Jan 29, 2013, 05:08 AM. Reason: Kgpg success
    -- Werdigo49
    Registered Linux User #291592
    Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)
Working...
X