This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

enter password for keyring 'default' to unlock

After installing GNOME in order to see if I would like it (I did not), I now get a message

enter password for keyring 'default' to unlock

every time I log on. This sucker blocks the keyboard, so I cannot do anything else until I kill it. Not being in GNOME, I can't figure out where to set a null password for it.

Suggestions, please.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

What's the output of
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep keyring

Comment

$ dpkg -l | grep keyring
      ii gir1.2-gnomekeyring-1.0 3.6.0-0ubuntu1 amd64 GNOME keyring services library - introspection data
      ii gnome-keyring 3.6.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 GNOME keyring services (daemon and tools)
      ii libgnome-keyring-common 3.6.0-0ubuntu1 all GNOME keyring services library - data files
      ii libgnome-keyring0:amd64 3.6.0-0ubuntu1 amd64 GNOME keyring services library
      ii libgnome-keyring0:i386 3.6.0-0ubuntu1 i386 GNOME keyring services library
      ii libpam-gnome-keyring 3.6.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 PAM module to unlock the GNOME keyring upon login
      ii python-gnomekeyring 2.32.0+dfsg-2ubuntu1 amd64 Python bindings for the GNOME keyring library
      ii signon-keyring-extension 0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 GNOME keyring extension for signond
      ii ubuntu-extras-keyring 2010.09.27 all GnuPG keys of the Ubuntu extras archive
      ii ubuntu-keyring 2012.05.19 all GnuPG keys of the Ubuntu archive
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Kill it with fire!
        --
        Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by Spadge View Post
          Kill it with fire!
          Huh?

Comment

Uninstall all the gnome keyring stuff with extreme prejudice if you're not using it.
            --
            Intocabile

Comment

I think a couple of the libs are used by Telepathy-KDE, thus not every one of those packages can be purged. I'll check my PC in a bit and reply here with that info.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                I think a couple of the libs are used by Telepathy-KDE, thus not every one of those packages can be purged. I'll check my PC in a bit and reply here with that info.
                spadge@Jupiter:~$ sudo dpkg -l | grep -i 'gnome keyring'
                ii libgnome-keyring-common 3.6.0-0ubuntu1 all GNOME keyring services library - data files
                ii libpam-gnome-keyring 3.6.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 PAM module to unlock the GNOME keyring upon login

Those ones, probably.
                --
                Intocabile

Comment

Code:
                  for i in `sudo dpkg -l | grep -i 'gnome keyring' | awk '{print $2}'`; do sudo apt-get remove $i; done
                  sudo apt-get install gnome-keyring libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0:amd64 libpam-gnome-keyring
                  I wonder if that would just reinstall all the others that were removed as well as the named four.
                  --
                  Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
                    $ dpkg -l | grep keyring
                    ii gir1.2-gnomekeyring-1.0 3.6.0-0ubuntu1 amd64 GNOME keyring services library - introspection data
                    ii libgnome-keyring0:i386 3.6.0-0ubuntu1 i386 GNOME keyring services library
                    ii python-gnomekeyring 2.32.0+dfsg-2ubuntu1 amd64 Python bindings for the GNOME keyring library
                    ii signon-keyring-extension 0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 GNOME keyring extension for signond
                    ii ubuntu-extras-keyring 2010.09.27 all GnuPG keys of the Ubuntu extras archive
                    ii ubuntu-keyring 2012.05.19 all GnuPG keys of the Ubuntu archive
                    Keep the following:

* ubuntu-keyring
                    * ubuntu-extras-keyring
                    * libgnome-keyring0:amd64
                    * libgnome-keyring0:i386
                    * libgnome-keyring-common

Remove the others.

Comment

spadge@Jupiter:~$ sudo dpkg -l | grep -i 'gnome keyring'

Those ones, probably.
                      Telepathy-KDE doesn't need the main service package, or the library for PAM, but it does need the other two libraries.

Code:
                      for i in `sudo dpkg -l | grep -i 'gnome keyring' | awk '{print $2}'`; do sudo apt-get remove $i; done
                      sudo apt-get install gnome-keyring libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0:amd64 libpam-gnome-keyring
                      I wonder if that would just reinstall all the others that were removed as well as the named four.
                      That command would also cause the removal of Telepathy-KDE.

Comment

Ok, guys, thanks. I'll see at my next boot (tomorrow morning) if that works, but I expect it to do so.

Happy 2013!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          That command would also cause the removal of Telepathy-KDE.
                          It would mark it as autoremovable up until the apt-get install cmd was run, no?

Or is that not how it works?
                          --
                          Intocabile

Comment

It would mark it as autoremovable up until the apt-get install cmd was run, no?

Or is that not how it works?
                            No. The for loop runs apt-get remove individually on each item.

My machine has only the two libraries required for Telepathy-KDE:
                            Code:
                            steve@t520:~$ [B]dpkg -l | grep -i 'gnome keyring'[/B]
                            ii  libgnome-keyring-common  3.6.0-0ubuntu1  all    GNOME keyring services library - data files
                            ii  libgnome-keyring0:amd64  3.6.0-0ubuntu1  amd64  GNOME keyring services library
                            Here's the output of your for loop, running apt-get in simulation mode:
                            Code:
                            steve@t520:~$ [B]for i in `sudo dpkg -l | grep -i 'gnome keyring' | awk '{print $2}'`; do apt-get -s remove $i; done[/B]
                            NOTE: This is only a simulation!
                                  apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
                                  Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
                                  so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
                            Reading package lists... Done
                            Building dependency tree       
                            Reading state information... Done
                            The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                              android-tools-fastboot gconf2 gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg libgail-3-0 libgeoclue0 libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0 libnotify4 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0
                              libwebkitgtk-3.0-common zenity zenity-common
                            Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
                            The following packages will be REMOVED:
                              gksu gstreamer0.10-plugins-good kamoso kde-telepathy kde-telepathy-call-ui kde-telepathy-minimal libfarstream-0.1-0 libgksu2-0 libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0 libpurple0
                              libsoup-gnome2.4-1 libtelepathy-farstream2 libtelepathy-qt4-farstream2 telepathy-haze telepathy-mission-control-5 ubuntu-nexus7-installer
                            0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 17 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
                            Remv ubuntu-nexus7-installer [1.7~q]
                            Remv gksu [2.0.2-6ubuntu2]
                            Remv kde-telepathy-call-ui [0.5.2-0ubuntu1~ubuntu12.10.1~ppa1]
                            Remv kamoso [2.0.2-1ubuntu2]
                            Remv libtelepathy-qt4-farstream2 [0.9.3-0ubuntu2]
                            Remv libtelepathy-farstream2 [0.4.0-3]
                            Remv telepathy-haze [0.6.0-1]
                            Remv libpurple0 [1:2.10.6-0ubuntu2]
                            Remv libfarstream-0.1-0 [0.1.2-1ubuntu1]
                            Remv gstreamer0.10-plugins-good [0.10.31-3ubuntu1.1]
                            Remv kde-telepathy [0.5.0ubuntu2~ubuntu12.10.1~ppa1]
                            Remv kde-telepathy-minimal [0.5.0ubuntu2~ubuntu12.10.1~ppa1]
                            Remv libgksu2-0 [2.0.13~pre1-5ubuntu3]
                            Remv telepathy-mission-control-5 [1:5.13.1-0ubuntu3]
                            Remv libsoup-gnome2.4-1 [2.40.0-0ubuntu1]
                            Remv libgnome-keyring0 [3.6.0-0ubuntu1]
                            Remv libgnome-keyring-common [3.6.0-0ubuntu1]
                            NOTE: This is only a simulation!
                                  apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
                                  Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
                                  so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
                            Reading package lists... Done
                            Building dependency tree       
                            Reading state information... Done
                            The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                              android-tools-fastboot gconf2 gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg libgail-3-0 libgeoclue0 libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0 libnotify4 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0
                              libwebkitgtk-3.0-common zenity zenity-common
                            Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
                            The following packages will be REMOVED:
                              gksu gstreamer0.10-plugins-good kamoso kde-telepathy kde-telepathy-call-ui kde-telepathy-minimal libfarstream-0.1-0 libgksu2-0 libgnome-keyring0 libpurple0 libsoup-gnome2.4-1
                              libtelepathy-farstream2 libtelepathy-qt4-farstream2 telepathy-haze telepathy-mission-control-5 ubuntu-nexus7-installer
                            0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 16 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
                            Remv ubuntu-nexus7-installer [1.7~q]
                            Remv gksu [2.0.2-6ubuntu2]
                            Remv kde-telepathy-call-ui [0.5.2-0ubuntu1~ubuntu12.10.1~ppa1]
                            Remv kamoso [2.0.2-1ubuntu2]
                            Remv libtelepathy-qt4-farstream2 [0.9.3-0ubuntu2]
                            Remv libtelepathy-farstream2 [0.4.0-3]
                            Remv telepathy-haze [0.6.0-1]
                            Remv libpurple0 [1:2.10.6-0ubuntu2]
                            Remv libfarstream-0.1-0 [0.1.2-1ubuntu1]
                            Remv gstreamer0.10-plugins-good [0.10.31-3ubuntu1.1]
                            Remv kde-telepathy [0.5.0ubuntu2~ubuntu12.10.1~ppa1]
                            Remv kde-telepathy-minimal [0.5.0ubuntu2~ubuntu12.10.1~ppa1]
                            Remv libgksu2-0 [2.0.13~pre1-5ubuntu3]
                            Remv telepathy-mission-control-5 [1:5.13.1-0ubuntu3]
                            Remv libsoup-gnome2.4-1 [2.40.0-0ubuntu1]
                            Remv libgnome-keyring0 [3.6.0-0ubuntu1]
                            But even this is a little misleading. The first apt-get remove operates on libgnome-keyring-common. You can see that it will wipe out libgnome-keyring0, so the second apt-get remove actually won't do anything. But in any case, since APT refuses to allow broken packages, it will remove anything that depends on libgnome-keyring-common, including Telepathy-KDE.
                            Last edited by SteveRiley; Jan 01, 2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Ah yes, I see. Automatically removes everything that depends on what's being removed, tells you that you can autoremove everything that what you're removing depends on so long as nothing else does.

I get it
                              --
                              Intocabile

Comment

Working...
                              X