This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox Search Engine Icons Missing After Profile Restore

I usually use FEBE to make a back up of my firefox profile and I use it to restore it. In this case I forgot to do that, so I just decided to copy over my profile folder from my back up. Everything worked fine but the search engine icons were missing when I opened the menu. However, when I select a search engine, the icon shows up fine. Since I am doing a dual boot with Win 8, I did a FEBE back up and transported the profile to Win 8. In win 8 the icons work as designed. So I did a FEBE back up of the Win 8 install, and imported it in to a fresh firefox profile in kubuntu. The icons still do not work as designed in Kubuntu. I am lost as to why it works in win 8 but not Kubuntu when I use the same profile.
    Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Apr 25, 2013, 07:13 PM.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

No one?
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Ok this happened to me again! This time I have some idea what cause the problem, standard firefox firefox gnome. Then I did the upgrade from Quantal to Raring it reverted me to the GTK version of firefox. After removing that, and fixing things so the blue-shell ppa version was pinned, and would download properly, I am stuck in the same exact situation! This time there was nor profile restore, just a simple change in versions.

NOTE: I will leave it up the staff to decide of this should be moved to the raring forum. (PS: Raring isn't Developmental any more! )
      Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Apr 27, 2013, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Ok so I tried making a new profile, installing organize search engines, and the problem still persists.

Comment

Did a clean kubuntu install tonight of raring. Stock Firefox from blue shell and I installed "organize search engine" plug ins and tree style tabs. Restarted Firefox and no icons. Can some one test these three things(well more when you count kmoz and Firefox-KDE) and see if they can reproduce? Can anyone comment if favorite icons is handled differently in the latest build for raring?

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Did another clean install of Raring. I did the install using the firefox installer this time, rather then removign it and installing via the ppa. Add "Organize Search Engines" add on and it worked! Firefox seemed pretty KDe integrated but I dod not have kmozillahelper or firefox-kde-suppot installed. I added the PPA, pinned the firefox PPA release, installed kmoz and firefox-kde, and the add on seems to be working fine.

So my question is what exactly is it the firefox installer does? Any idea on why it seems going from the GTK version to the KDE version of firefox broke it last time? Could it have changed the line endings?

Comment

Well it broke again, and again I can confirm it is likley gtk related, and here's why. Now like most of you, I assume, I try to pull in as a few gtk based packages as possible. That said for GTK compatability, I generaly try to pull in all the gtk2-engines-* and gtk3-engines* so that when I play with GTK themes in the GTK config I am not missing any dependencies. Directly after installing the GTK Engines and restarting firefox the search engine icons disapeareared with the add on installed.

Comment

Trying to test this further, I purged the firefox installer, pined the blue shell ppa, installed firefox and firefox-kde-support from blue shell ppa. Next, I installed the organize search engine add on. Then ,I installed each gtk2 and gtk 3 engine one by one restarting firefox between each and every theme install. Once I was done installing each and every engine, the add on still worked when I restarted firefox. So I tried adding kmozzillahelper, restart firefox, and icons still work. Last but not least, I go to GTK+ Config in System Settings->Application appearance. I selected the xfce-4.6 theme from from both drop down boxes. And finally after all that work..the search engine icons break! So again, I have tracked this down to something GTK related. Any ideas why gtk config breaks the add on?

Comment

The answer was painfully obvious.....Application Appearance -> GTK+ Config -> Show Icons in GTK Menus..

Comment

Working...
                  X