Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Image colors inverted with java album generator (Jalbum)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image colors inverted with java album generator (Jalbum)

I use a picture album software called Jalbum. Since installing Quetzal, it is inverting the colors on certain of my images, but I can find no common denominator among the image properties. Some have been modified with Gimp, some not. Even images which were ok before are no inve

I have been using Kubuntu for about 7 years and I know that the installation method for Java has changed several times in that period. I wonder if this could be the cause of the problem.

$ java -version
    java version "1.7.0_09"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.3) (7u9-2.3.3-0ubuntu1~12.10.1)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.2-b09, mixed mode)

I realize this is probably not the proper forum, but I am getting no answers on the Jalbum forum and thought I would give it a try. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by joneall; Dec 30, 2012, 03:39 AM. Reason: Problem resolved
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Just rebooted (with some difficulty...) Kubuntu 12.04 and the pictures are fine there.

$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_24"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11.5) (6b24-1.11.5-0ubuntu1~12.04.1)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b12, mixed mode)

What can this be due to?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Problem with java versions

It has been suggested to me on the Jalbum forum that the problem could be due to the OpenJDK version of Java and that I should use Oracle's version instead.

So I downloaded Oracle's RPM file (There is no deb file) and converted it with alien (ignoring the comment "Use the --scripts parameter to include the scripts") and installed that with dpkg.

But I still see

$ java -version
      java version "1.7.0_09"
      OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.3) (7u9-2.3.3-0ubuntu1~12.10.1)
      OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.2-b09, mixed mode)

and Jalbum still shows inverted colors on some images.

Installing java on Ubuntu has always been a mess, sometimes being in the repositories and sometimes requiring downloads from Sun and then Oracle. What do I have to do to get Oracle's java?

's frustrating.

Comment

You have to set one java to be the default, as you can have more than one at the same time.

Alien may work at converting rpm's but it isn't always 100%. I'd suggest uninstalling that and look here:
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java Sections 3 and 5 should get you running. You could also try installing the icedtea jdk package openjdk-6-jre and then following section 5.
        Last edited by claydoh; Dec 29, 2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Installing Oracle (this week...) Java corrects problem.

Thanks a lot, claydoh, that did it. I used the dutch script and installed only the JRE. I have bookmarked the page. Now I have

$ sudo update-alternatives --config java
          There are 3 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection Path Priority Status
          ------------------------------------------------------------
          * 0 /opt/java/64/jre1.7.0_10/bin/java 2000 auto mode
          1 /opt/java/64/jre1.7.0_10/bin/java 2000 manual mode
          2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java 1061 manual mode
          3 /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java 1071 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

No idea what auto and manual modes are.

Still don't understand how that can invert colors on some pictures but not all. One more point to add the the list of things I do not understand. Older I get, longer becomes the list.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X