X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akonadi and IMAP acting up again.

Hi Guys,

I thought I had this one sorted, but it turns out its back.

For some reason KMail2/Akonadi has been a pain in the neck for ages with it going off line all the time and needing to be reset repeatedly using the akonadi console to keep email coming in. It seemed to be fixed with kde 4.9 when I started running that (for a couple of months in fact) but its back now for some reason and its driving me nuts.

I have to repeatedly restart the server, or pound on the reset button tens of times, or reboot to get the stupid connector to come out of "off line" and connect. And then a few minutes later its off line again.

Where does this off line trigger come from and if its a time out of some sort how do I change it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, as far as I'm concerned kmail 2 is not ready for main stream yet (and never has been) and is the one reason I'm not rolling Linux desktops out to more of my clients (and no, I don't want to use Thunderbird, this is meant to be the default mail client, how can it be so broken?).

Peter.

I feel your pain ...

What version of KDE?

Comment

I've found Kmail and Kontact to be pleasant from 4.8 and rock solid from 4.9 but I have noticed that with upgrades between major KDE versions everything goes to **** i.e. 4.8 to 4.9. A useful trick is to empty out all the config and cache files between upgrades which is irritating but seems to solve the problem.

I feel bad for you though because when Kontact works its undoubtedly the best PIM I've ever seen.

Comment

Hi Guys, thanks for the input. I'm using 4.9.3 at the moment.

I just find it amazing that a system that was working quite well, and was in line with the unix view of the world (KISS) has been replaced by this complex piece of junk that adds nothing at all to the usability as far as I can see. I don't know a single person that is using any of the supposed benefits of Akonadi, it just adds complexity and breaks things.

What configs would you suggest I blow away and re-configure?

Ta

Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by pnunn View Post
          What configs would you suggest I blow away and re-configure?
          I think this is still relevant: Reset Nepomuk and Akonadi

Code:
          akonadictl stop
          rm -rf  ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/* 
          # we should also clean KDE temporary folders before start KMail
          rm -rf /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER /tmp/ksocket-$USER /tmp/kde-$USER
          akonadictl start
          Clean up Nepomuk data

Code:
          qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver org.kde.NepomukServer.quit
          rm -r ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk
          rm -r ~/.kde4/share/apps/nepomuk
          nepomukserver
          A button that did all this in system settings would be really useful.
          Last edited by blackpaw; Nov 22, 2012, 05:12 PM. Reason: tidy up

Comment

Ok, this seems to have sorted it, but, I think there was an issue with fonts that was killing it as well (when I started akonai from the command line, every time I restarted it, I got lots of errors about the font configuration being bad. I've been mucking around with infinallity and I'm wondering if that was causing problems as well. Why fonts would be breaking akonadi I have no idea, but it seems to be working now that I've renamed /etc/fonts/infinallity to /etc/fonts/infinallity.hold.

Now, however, the font rendering is terrible. But I can work on that I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by pnunn View Post
              Ok, this seems to have sorted it, but, I think there was an issue with fonts that was killing it as well (when I started akonai from the command line, every time I restarted it, I got lots of errors about the font configuration being bad. I've been mucking around with infinallity and I'm wondering if that was causing problems as well. Why fonts would be breaking akonadi I have no idea, but it seems to be working now that I've renamed /etc/fonts/infinallity to /etc/fonts/infinallity.hold.
              I get this every time I start a GUI program from a Konsole window:
              Code:
              Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
              Is that what you were seeing? If so, then not to worry...it's just a message indicating that the XDG specs are changing, and that applications should be looking for font configuration details in a different place eventually.

Comment

Working...
              X