X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMail can't delete emails

Using kubuntu 12.10
    Selecting Folder > "Move all messages to trash" Does move them - can see them veing removed visually.
    Pointing cursor to trash > popup meassage "Total messages xxx"
    open trash > no messages showing!
    Either restarting KMail, OR opening inbox > all same messages re-appear!
    Other than that, KMail is working perfectly.
    Any suggestions ??

Check your account's settings, and make sure your trash folder location setting is not a blank entry. You may have to select one if it is. I saw this happen once or twice when testing kmail upgrades a few releases back. The change you may not take effect immediately unless you restart akonadi, or reboot. If it is an IMAP account, it can take a bit for things to be sorted out when things are synced between the server and your computer, depending on your connection speed.

Comment

Where do I find "account's settings" ?

Comment

In kmail's settings I am not in a KDE desktop at the moment, but I think it is settings >> accounts >> select the account and click "modify".
        Look for an advanced tab, and look for trash location, where you can specify a folder. Select the existing trash folder you want to use.

Comment

There is no "modify" in kubuntu 12.10>System Settings>Password & User Account.

Comment

kmail's settings menu

Comment

No help there either. Went to search Bugzilla - found that IT IS a problem. Guess I'll have to wait unless someone on this Forum knows something we don't!!
              Your help is very much appreciated - Thanks.

Comment

In KMail: Settings | Configure KMail | Accounts, select the correct "Receiving" account, click Modify | Advanced. Click the icon next to "Trash folder." Navigate to the Trash folder for the account, select it, and click OK.

Comment

"Click the icon next to "Trash folder." Navigate to the Trash folder for the account, select it, and click OK. "
                  No such thing here!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	640162

Comment

Ah, you're using POP3! A very different MUA (mail user agent) protocol than IMAP4. POP3 is a one-way protocol: it copies from your mailbox to local storage -- here, that's KMail -- and considers itself finished. Anything you do with emails in KMail will not be reflected back to the mailbox.

Still, though, something appears weird. You have not selected Leave fetched messages on the server, which normally means that your mailbox should be purged each time KMail copies messages. However, that appears not to be happening, based on your original description. The messages remain on in your mailbox, which is why they continue to reappear in KMail. A quick Google search showed some old bugs that I thought would have been fixed by now. Do you have a link to the Bugzilla you mentioned earlier?

Also...if it's at all possible to switch to IMAP4, I'd encourage you to do so. It's a much better protocol for many reasons: folder support, online/offline operation, subscriptions, and much better handling of sent items and trash folders.

Comment

Working...
                    X