• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu has spyware

For your info

Stallman: Ubuntu spyware makes it JUST AS BAD as Windows

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12...buntu_spyware/
    Last edited by 1richard; Dec 10, 2012, 03:53 PM.

RMS is essentially correct on this, Canonical/Shuttleworth pretty much dropped the ball multiple times on this one (decision making, implementation, community involvement and communication). Given their track record, that doesn't come as a surprise to me.

Of course the feature is in Unity's dash only, so it doesn't really affect the users of alternative desktops.

Comment

I think Ubuntu Lens was a bad move all the way around, It should not be installed by default. I don't really care for Unity in the first place, but getting amazon adds for crap I don't want too. Hopefully it will get some users to look towards Kubuntu.
      Rob

Comment

Sooooo I guess the first third of this article will likely raise some hackles. ;0

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20197...e-desktop.html

I guess that we could all form a Brook Farm.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by 1richard View Post
          For your info

Stallman: Ubuntu spyware makes it JUST AS BAD as Windows

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12...buntu_spyware/
          So James Bond is reading your documents!

Comment

Can I take a moment and throw some criticism in another direction? Bear with me, this will be short.

Canonical, through it shopping lens, favors Amazon, to the exclusion of other online retailers. Fine, whatever. Where's the reciprocation? Why doesn't Amazon favor Canonical in what ought to be a scratch-our-backs search exchange?

The relationship is disturbingly not mutual.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              Can I take a moment and throw some criticism in another direction? Bear with me, this will be short.

Canonical, through it shopping lens, favors Amazon, to the exclusion of other online retailers. Fine, whatever. Where's the reciprocation? Why doesn't Amazon favor Canonical in what ought to be a scratch-our-backs search exchange?

The relationship is disturbingly not mutual.
              Well...Canonical gets money from Amazon, it isn't really a mutual exchange of results (if Amazon preferred Canonical, there would be money going the other way as well).

And Amazon is just the head-opener, they are adding more "online results" providers in 13.04, so it will not be just amazon that gets dash searches. It's a sad effort to monetize users.

Comment

Depending on how its used probably not such a bad thing. But if they get greedy and go extreme with it and data mine to the extent other companies do... Which I'd imagine they will simply because its there. Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Think I'll go brush my teeth 3 or 4 times then gargle. Maybe even take a shower...

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                  Well...Canonical gets money from Amazon, it isn't really a mutual exchange of results (if Amazon preferred Canonical, there would be money going the other way as well).
                  You're right, of course. I suppose I was desperately clutching at straws, or even just a shred of a single straw, attempting to uncover even a whisper of a hint of something that could be deflected in some direction away from Canonical. Perhaps, here, there's no such whisper of a hint of a straw to be so clutched.

Comment

Working...
                  X