This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firefox

A do nothing rant follows, proceed at your own risk.
    If easily offended proceed no further.
    I've been wanting to get this off my chest for a while, and what better place than a soapbox.....

<RANT>All I want is for firefox to work in kde/kubuntu correctly. And IM NOT TALKING ABOUT OPENENING DOWNLOADED CONTENT DIALOG OR OPEN WITH DIALOG. I'm referring to the GDF FILE PICKER!!!
    example, go to facebook. select add photo, browse for photo. and that browse for photo open GDF dolphin. so i can see a GDF preview of all the files in front me!!!</RANT>

That is why I hate using firefox... the only integration with kde... or any other system for that matter, is hacked on by third parties...

Why they cannot use standards I do not know...

I do wish more programs would us qt rather then gtk, it makes life so much easier

Comment

I couln't care less. I am NOT on any of these timewasters. With friends I communicate through landline phones and emails. So, for me: Firefox gets the Thumb up.
      Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
      I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

facebook was just an easy example, I have two online retail shops that require pictures of items for sale. SOOOOO much easier to find the pic I'm looking for when I can actually see the pics, change thumbnail sizes and be in an environment that I actually want to be in. It's part of why I pick kde/kubuntu cause dolphin kicks the others arse. firefox is still probably the best browser out there but on kde/kubuntu it's just

Comment

Talking to a couple of Friends the other day they use OS X and Windowz they both had problems with Firefox.

So far Firefox is my favorite. I even have add-ons to BLOCK Facebook.

As for uploading photos, there are some applications and widgets that can help with uploading quickly.

There is Flickr or your cloud storage, if you don't have one check my sig.
          Rob

Comment

thanks Robtygart. Not sure if you totally didn't read my rant or what, but you got another posting point. WTG...
            Seriously? How is flickr or cloud gonna help my firefox filepicker for posting to my biz, or to my facebook for that matter?

Q: soo, i got this problem with my modem
            A: no prob, soak it in milk dude....

Comment

When uploading pictures I usually use an application or widget that will upload your photos to Facebook or whatever photo hosting your using, and its a lot quicker then needing to use the browser.

As for the cloud, again it works well for image hosting, and again can be uploaded using Ubuntu-one.
              Rob

Comment

I have been going through some of the problems you guys are having but I haven't seen any real flaws accept for the Thunderbird/Firefox I had. Could someone post a screen shot of the file picker problem so I can understand what is happening.

File picker for Flickr (I don't know about Facebook I don't use it) works.

I have been hearing a lot of bad reviews about Firefox lately, is this just something new or is it only KDE?
                Last edited by Robtygart; Nov 02, 2012, 01:56 PM.
                Rob

Comment

2 images, first is rekonq with dolphin file picker
                  second is firefox and not dolphin file picker
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for posting that.

So if I am understanding you correctly, you want your results pre-filtered? Pictures only, docks only.......

Does it help to change the filter tab to only show what your uploading?
                    Rob

Comment

I think I found something that may help, by providing the standard file preview as found in Ubuntu's firefox.

try installing firefox-gnome-support. This had no extra deps for me to install, and after relaunching FF file dialogs give an image preview when one is selected. Not thumbnails for all images as KDE does, but it is a help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	640154

I think this is because of how Debian and thus Ubuntu package FF into the various bits that it does. The fact that the Gimp has the standard gtk file chooser with previews made me that perhaps something was missing that might help, seems I might be correct.
                      Last edited by claydoh; Nov 02, 2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Thank you both, but no thanks. I want dolphin to just work, it just works with chromium, chrome, opera, etc....what the F Why does mozilla have to hard code that crap in?

Dolphin can any size the preview. Dolphin rocks!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Well its a setting, because mine is working fine.
                          Rob

Comment

show us

Comment

Alrighty then.... Thanks to facebook kubuntu page I've got my firefox and my dolphin too.
                              This one is now solved, thanks for listening to me rant.
                              https://www.facebook.com/notes/kubun...85048244909292

Comment

Working...
                              X