X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointing Kubuntu 12.10

Hi,
    I am really disappointed about the new Kubuntu version 12.10. I mean every new version had some minor bugs. They were eliminated after some weeks - fine, no problem. But this version 12.10 still has major bugs. And I have only one computer and I need it running fine. So I am back to Kubuntu 12.04 LTS.
    What was my experience? The start-up process and the shut-down was long - okay, minor problem. The sound was terrible. Usually is used ALC888 analog. It is no longer there. I found another analog device. But I could not store the new settings. Systemsettingsrc was not writeable I go told. But other settings I could change and store. Sometimes Dolphin worked fine. Other times I got the message that the dolphinrc file is not writeable. These are major bugs - not okay, bad problems. At the end of the start-up process is a sound. But not at version 12.10. After the sound was to hear for about a minute you are not allowed to touch any key. Once I started Kontakt too early. It simple stoped in the middle of start-up and crashed. I hope somebody will fix these problems.
    On the other hand with the version 12.10 came the new Gimp 2.8 software and a new version of LibreOffice. Why is this software not available for Kubuntu 12.04 LTS? I would appreciate it to have at least the newest versions of other applications on my computer.
    I am still a fan of Kubuntu. But this reminds me in another OS with a W... Sorry to use such strong words. Wouldn't it be better if there is only one Upgrade (new Kubuntu version) per year? And that upgrade should be really good tested and in fine condition. My friends are simple user of their computers. They all now keep the LTS version.
    Kind regards, Sigurd

Your experience is, of course, your experience. But, what you have described isn't/hasn't been what (many) others have to say about their move to 12.10, myself included.

Was this an upgrade from 12.04, or did you do a fresh install? If it was an upgrade, how much 'customization' was done in 12.04, and did/do you have PPA and/or other third-party (non-standard *buntu) repositories in use?

There is so much that could affect a successful upgrade (assuming it was an upgrade). Even a fresh installation, if one keeps their /home directory intact, can have unintended consequences.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

All in all I have had no issues but I can say sound has been "jerky". Not all the time and I usually have many pulseaudio apps running. Have to shut down all those pulseaudio apps to let it restart to solve the issue but it tends to come back. Haven't had a chance to track down why. Other than that it has been solid for me.
      Last edited by MoonRise; Oct 21, 2012, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Issues with 12.10 aside (I am still on 12.04 so I can't comment), you can run the latest GIMP and LibreOffice in 12.04 (I do without any problems). Here's how:

GIMP
        http://www.noobslab.com/2012/08/inst...in-ubuntu.html

LibreOffice
        http://www.libre-software.net/how-to...ntu-linux-mint
        Last edited by benny_fletch; Oct 21, 2012, 12:26 PM.
        Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
        tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Mine is running great, no bug reports or crashes as of yet.

If your worried about bugs never use a program hot of the press, there will always have bugs.
          Rob

Comment

As 12.04 is LTS, you will by definition NOT get new versions of software generally speaking, at least not right away - the 5 year support is a new thing, and there will be some small version bumps that will fix bugs, but I have not seen anything that specifies exactly what may see these. Historically, LTS get few, if any, new versions of things, just patched versions of existing ones for security and major bugs. There are exceptions, as Kubuntu often ship the minor KDE versions for LTS after testing (Lucid had 4.4.2, and now has 4.4.5, for example).

As to the config files being unwritable, two possible reasons for this come to mind - a failing drive can exhibit this (in my case 2 separate drives exhibited the same thing, in 12.04 before going belly up). Another possibility is using sudo (instead of kdesudo) to run various GUI tools, though the permissions problem is usually persistent until fixed.

Comment

Hi,
              Thank you benny_fletch. That may help to install it. I will try it tomorrow.

I would like to answer your questions snowhog:
              Your experience is, of course, your experience. But, what you have described isn't/hasn't been what (many) others have to say about their move to 12.10, myself included.

Was this an upgrade from 12.04, or did you do a fresh install? If it was an upgrade, how much 'customization' was done in 12.04, and did/do you have PPA and/or other third-party (non-standard *buntu) repositories in use?
              First I did a usual upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10. I did a lot of customization. But everything was inside of the things Kubuntu offers. The only third party software I use is Teamviewer to help my friends. Later I tried a new installation from DVD inclusive formatting the software partition "/" .

There is so much that could affect a successful upgrade (assuming it was an upgrade). Even a fresh installation, if one keeps their /home directory intact, can have unintended consequences.
              Yes, I kept my "/home" directory intact. I have it on a separated partition. But when I installed (upgrade and new installation) I used the manual option and marked the "/home" partition as "/home" partition again. I don't want to loose all my settings and emails for all the different software I use inclusive the OS.
              Is there another way to go without creating every setting again?

Kind regards,
              Sigurd

Comment

Originally posted by SigurdF View Post
                Hi,
                Yes, I kept my "/home" directory intact. I have it on a separated partition. But when I installed (upgrade and new installation) I used the manual option and marked the "/home" partition as "/home" partition again. I don't want to loose all my settings and emails for all the different software I use inclusive the OS.
                Is there another way to go without creating every setting again?

Kind regards,
                Sigurd
                I, too, have a separate home partition. In that partition I have a directory called common that contains Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Mail, etc. My actual home directory has symlinks to the folders in common. When I do an upgrade, I rename the old home directory to something else. Then I do a new installation and let it recreate the home directory. Once booted into the system, I recreate the symlinks to common.

By doing it this way, any problematic configuration files are not a problem as the default ones are used. I have access to all of my documents, mail, bookmarks, etc. I do have to re-customize KDE itself, but that usually isn't a terribly long process. After a period of time, once I am sure I don't need anything from my old, original home directory, I delete it.

I should add, that the reason I do this, is not because of Kubuntu itself, but that I install and test numerous distros and by having my documents and data in a common folder allows me to have access to them regardless of the distro I am testing. It also allows backing up just my data by backing up the common directory.

I have found in the past, not so much with KDE, but with other desktops some old customizations and configuration files can lead to an unstable system. Another thing to try, if you suspect that may be the problem, is to create a new user and log in to that user and see if the problem exists. If the problem goes away, it is usually a configuration problem with the upgraded user.

Comment

Hi,
                  I tried to upgrade a third time. I did everything as described at the Kubuntu website. And I got so much problems:
                  1. After the BIOS the process stoped. I had to press to ON button for 3 seconds and start again.
                  2. Now after the BIOS I got a grub file and i selected start ubuntu.
                  3. Dolphin did not work. I got the message: The process for the file protocoll died unexpectedly.
                  4. Kontact did not work. I got the message: The Akonadi personal information management service is not operational. And: The process for the file protokoll died unexpectedly.
                  5. LibreOffice did not start at all.
                  6. Sound is very bad.
                  7. I could not download from Muon Software Center.
                  I restarted the computer again. After the BIOS I got the grub file again. Now I selected to start ubuntu with advanced settings. Here I choose the recovery mode. After a restart it seemed to work better. I had to go throught it again.
                  Now it seems that most things run. At least I hope so. I will watch it.
                  But one thing is still there: The bad sound. And it looks like the system settings store the settings only during the session. After restart the settings are lost. Please have a look at the picture "Selection_001.png". These are the standard settings. But I need the settings as shown in picture "Selection_002". So, what can I do to keep the settings for Phonon?
                  Kind regards,
                  Sigurd
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by SigurdF; Oct 22, 2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                    I still have another problem: "Search Service". It tells me that the "file indexing service is not running".
                    The icon must be in the task bar. Do I start anything before it comes up the application most likely won't run (even system settings).
                    Is there a way to terminate this Search Service completely?
                    Regards, Sigurd

Comment

Try System Settings/ Desktop Search/

As for me I've been very impressed with 12.10 on a fresh install and updated to a full KDE. Full KDE fixed several issues I was having.
                      GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

You have some nasty problems!
                        I have upgraded several computers and did a few new installs without serious problems so my question is what hardware are you running?

The search service is something I never use as it's even on this quite powerful laptop a drain on the system and a simple Ctrl+F does nearly the same.
                        Go to system settings andsearch for Nepomuk or Strigi, the icon is called Desktop Search, take away the check mark for Nepomuk Semantic Desktop.

Comment

Using the locate command and using recoll to make a deep search index of a few selected directories is all the search I need.

Comment

Working...
                          X