This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interupted during installation

Things were going fine until I bumped my desk and it caused my over sinsitive mouse to activate; this interupted my upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10. When I try tto restart I do not get my old login screen but a darkscreen prompting for login and password for 12.10. {not the terminal} The system will not take my login and passsword even when I have tried to boot to an older version of 12.04; it still comes up 12.10 and wants a loging. Q? is there a way to "force" the system to boot and then restart/resume the install?
    I am dual boot with Ubuntu that is how I can currently post.
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

If you are using a wired connection you can use the Linux Console (LC) to do an apt-get upgrade. To get to the LC hit the Tab key at the GRUB boot screen and just type init 3 (or just a 3) and hit Enter. Log in, then sudo apt-get upgrade/password.
    If you use wireless then someone more familiar with that will have to help as I've never used it except at a remote location through the GUI.
    GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Originally posted by luckyone View Post
      If you are using a wired connection you can use the Linux Console (LC) to do an apt-get upgrade. To get to the LC hit the Tab key at the GRUB boot screen and just type init 3 (or just a 3) and hit Enter. Log in, then sudo apt-get upgrade/password.
      If you use wireless then someone more familiar with that will have to help as I've never used it except at a remote location through the GUI.
      You should use
      Code:
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      for major upgrades.

Some other commands that might be useful:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update # Gets the latest package info, best to run this first
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade # Will upgrade packages even if they require packages to be removed (by removing the packages not needed) this is needed for major version changes when the dependencies change
      sudo apt-get install -f # Tries to fix broken packages
      sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop # Make sure everything is installed that should be installed
      These are in the order they should be executed.
      Last edited by james147; Nov 20, 2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the responces; however I was in the early stages of the installation and I now can not get back into the OS {Kubuntu} to restart the process. I will try the the tab key and 3 to see if that gets me in.
        I had accessed the upgrade with the sudo apt-get install update-manager followed by sudo update-manager -d command. My system had already downloaded and was 'installing' when the interupt occured. I will report back soon if unable to log-in or much later if I am able too.
        Last edited by wanderingarcticfox; Nov 20, 2012, 11:21 AM.
        Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Comment

If you cannot boot the system then you can boot a livecd, mount and chroot into the broken system then do the update from there.

Comment

Thx James147; I am hoping to fix this without a live CD or fresh installation, I already am sharing Music, Pictures and Documents between the two OS's. Here is where I am right now.

Tab 3 enter; then down arrow to root enter; then sudo apt-get update gets this return>

not using locking for read only lockfile var/lib/dpkg/lock

promted dpkg was interupted manually run 'sudo dpkg --confige -a' to correct
            I ran that and got this return

dpkg error: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system

Any ideas on the way to unlock this in the root?

Comment

I'd try sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock at init 3 next. Then perhaps a sudo apt-get -f install.
              GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

IF all the packages had been downloaded AND were still being installed and not configured yet ,,,,,I would
                1-do as @luckyone has sead and
                Code:
                sudo rm -rf /var/lib/dpkg/lock
                ,,,,then
                Code:
                cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
                and
                Code:
                sudo dpkg -i *.deb
                all the packages you DL'd should be hear and that comand will have dpkg install them all and it should go to configuring them afterwards if not when it gets done installing do the
                Code:
                sudo dpkg --confugure -a
                VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thx Luckone and Vinny Wright; I printed out Vinny's reply and after a good nights sleep will proceed and report back.

Comment

Starting to get some where, new error messages

I finally remembered my log-in and the passwrod allowed me to run 'sudo apt-get update' with the same error

Then I ran the 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' and installation resumed for a while then stopped and gave the following out-put and returned to the 'prompt' and I have not a clue of what to enter.

while update -initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-33 generic
                    Errors were encountered while processing:
                    Kde-workspace-bin
                    Kubuntu-desktop
                    bluez

I know that I am running the installation so a lot of guessing on my part returns only the 'read only', which I believe the resone I cannot fix broken but really I am rather lost here.

I am not in the terminal but the LC [Linux Console]
                    Last edited by wanderingarcticfox; Nov 21, 2012, 10:18 AM. Reason: add note to bottom

Comment

solved and here is how

I thought i would list what it took to resolve this issue but must make it clear that I am using a dual boot Ubuntu/Kubuntu 64-bit system set-up. I am in K-12.10 now but all the above entries were from U-12.04 9that I will upgrade next) These are the command lines I entered, I will not include the error messages because they migh be different on someone elses syste, but the commands show cleaning and fixing. The first part is in the Linux Console via <tab><3><enter>

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get -f install

sudo apt-get --fix-missing install

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get autoclean

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get upgrade >>>>>installation resumed then hung at the ir installation so I <ctrl><alt><del> and booted into the desktop from th Linux Console
                      Then in the terminal

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get -f install

sudo apt-get -fix-missing install

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get update

I know the last update is really not needed but I always do that out of habit and it does not hurt the system or take very long [under 30 seconds]

***Note for Newbees and semi-newbees like myself, becareful not to react to quickly if you accidently interupt things during a distibution upgrade; then you will not need this information.
                      Thanks to all that responded and special thanks to Vinny for telling me about Root-Book a year ago

Comment

Working...
                      X