This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package managers cannot access mounted KB12.10 ISO DVD

I am trying to do an update of 12.04 on an HP110 netbook, to which I have connected a Pioneer USB optical drive. I have 3 boxes to update and want to do it from an ISO DVD so that I'm not up all night. The ISO's torrent-downloaded md5 was correct, and I've burned a DVD. I'm ready to go, and I'm completely stalled.

Muon appears simply baffled. The OS recognizes the ISO DVD, and in Dolphin I can mount it without any apparent problem. I can see in the displayed dir "boot, casper, dists, install, ioslinux," and etc dirs. But Muon's Software sources>Other software>Add CD-ROM button, when clicked, does nothing except repeatedly ask for me to mount a CD. By now I'm more than used to Muon's screwing up, so bye bye Muon...

In Synaptic, Settings>Software sources>Other Software>Add volume gets the job done. I now see "cdrom:[Kubuntu 12.10_Quantal Qeutzal_..." listed at the top of the "other software" window.

But...when, after a "reload" and "apply", I request that the updates be done, I get this; "Please insert the disk labeled: Kubuntu 12.10_Quantal...". It's in the drive, as it was when Synaptic recognized it, read it's label, and placed in i the software sources list. Now is cannot find it.

I have NO idea what to do next. All suggestions are welcome!
    Last edited by tomcloyd; Oct 23, 2012, 02:54 PM. Reason: Abandoning thread.

No response to this. Got the job done via another path. Abandoning the thread.

Comment

This is not muon's fault here, it is the fact that the image iirc does not support this method. The discontinued Alternate CD allowed this, but the standard install image, now too large , requires a DVD. I should look, but I am on my phone and browsing the image download site is a pain. Do they offer 2 separate install images?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd View Post
        wow @tomcloyd ,,,kinda short dont ya think.
        perhaps you could enlighten us as to how you overcame the problem and maby have helped some one else trying to upgrade the same way!!

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd View Post
          How did you finally accomplish this? It would be good for future reference.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            I should look, but I am on my phone and browsing the image download site is a pain. Do they offer 2 separate install images?
            Do you mean this page?

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Yes, I agree, it is not very obvious that there are two different versions here. The big blue buttons should be differentiated from each other.

Comment

Sorry I meant the cdimage.ubuntu.com site, which is where one would have grabbed the alternate iso and the previous DVD image.

There is only one image type now, for each cpu architecture.

Comment

And the Kubuntu page needs to be fixed to clarify the image size.

Comment

Sorry I meant the cdimage.ubuntu.com site, which is where one would have grabbed the alternate iso and the previous DVD image... There is only one image type now, for each cpu architecture.
                  Yep, alternate went bye-bye. Thus my quick how-to post: Approximate a CLI with the Server ISO

Comment

But that does little for multi-system upgrades as tomcloyd was attempting, right?

Comment

But that does little for multi-system upgrades as tomcloyd was attempting, right?
                      I'm actually not sure. I've never performed an upgrade using a live image, so I'm not even sure how it's supposed to work.

Comment

You cannot, but if someone has a multi unit deployment to upgrade, there must be a way to do so, but I have not found it.

Aah that is because it is not possible, using the install image

" Offline upgrade options via alternate CDs are no longer offered for Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server. Please ensure you have network connectivity to one of the official mirrors or to a locally accessible mirror and follow the instructions above."
                        The installation method used in the Alt disk was different from the livecd, as I think it actually installed all packages, while the livecd simply copied a base image to disk, so there are not enough packages on it to perform an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Yep, alternate went bye-bye. Thus my quick how-to post: Approximate a CLI with the Server ISO
                          A guy could also use the mini CD iso (34MB for the Quantal version) and use that for the CLI install, though it may take a little longer as the debs are coming from the online repos as opposed to on the CD itself.
                          The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
                            A guy could also use the mini CD iso (34MB for the Quantal version) and use that for the CLI install, though it may take a little longer as the debs are coming from the online repos as opposed to on the CD itself.
                            There's only one problem with that: the mini ISO has a non-standard layout for its EFI subdirectory. You can't boot a machine into UEFI mode using the mini ISO by itself. Instead, you have to install the EFI shell into your EFI system partition, boot the shell, and then manually load the EFI image on the ISO. That's a fairly opaque set of steps.

Comment

Working...
                            X