This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dist-upgrade to Quantal causes freeze at gear logo

Did a dist-upgrade from precise to quantal on my desktop last night.
    Then, rebooted. Grub loaded fine, booted into linux, the gear logo came up with the five dots. Then the system just hangs - the five dots all go dark and the screen freezes, and keyboard is unresponsive. I can't get a tty prompt and ctrl-alt-del does nothing. When I boot into a text console, and run 'service lightdm start', the console shows some output, then the words "Checking battery state." And then it seizes again (only this time the keyboard actually responds - as in puts characters on the screen).

I've googled all over, and found people get similar problems with this, almost unanimously it's declared to be a problem with the ati graphics drivers my desktop needs. I installed quantal on my macbook a few days ago, and it works fine (because - I assume - it has the nvidia chipset, not radeon). I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling fglrx, reinstalling lightdm (because it always starts when this guy comes along), reinstalling kubuntu-desktop. I even found after a search through these forums a way to restore the legacy fglrx drivers. Still seizes at the gear logo. It only lets me pass if I completely remove fglrx in any form from my computer. But then my dual monitor system doesn't work, along with all the other functions I need.

Is there anything, besides a clean install, that I have not tried?

EDIT:
    Yes, I have also tried booting with an earlier kernel. Still freezes.
Working...
X