This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade after install?

I was looking for a thread about upgrading... it was called something like 'Warning' and a poster proceeded to offer the experience after looking at apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade.

So, two questions: 1) where is that thread? 2) since, 13.04 is just around the corner (I think), I thought to use 'apt-get upgrade' after I install 12.10 for someone.

Or does anyone have any recommended steps?

Also, I might do the same with my system? It was installed around Nov. of last year. Or I should use 'dist-upgrade' soon for mine? It was my understanding that there's a bit less risk for things to go wrong, if you dist-upgrade when the next version is close(r) to release. Although, with rolling release distros, you should just dist-upgrade on a regular schedule but watching for any news or warnings issued by distro devs? Well, if you want to use the latest software.

I appreciate any advice and help (in advance). Thanks!

Originally posted by kdeputer View Post
    I was looking for a thread about upgrading... it was called something like 'Warning' and a poster proceeded to offer the experience after looking at apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade.

So, two questions: 1) where is that thread? 2) since, 13.04 is just around the corner (I think), I thought to use 'apt-get upgrade' after I install 12.10 for someone.

Or does anyone have any recommended steps?

Also, I might do the same with my system? It was installed around Nov. of last year. Or I should use 'dist-upgrade' soon for mine? It was my understanding that there's a bit less risk for things to go wrong, if you dist-upgrade when the next version is close(r) to release. Although, with rolling release distros, you should just dist-upgrade on a regular schedule but watching for any news or warnings issued by distro devs? Well, if you want to use the latest software.

I appreciate any advice and help (in advance). Thanks!
    When 13.04 becomes available Muon Notifier will pop up and tell you. It will then do the upgrade for you. I quite recommend this approach rather than worrying about the CLI unless you are eager to learn.

Comment

A little clarification on apt-get (upgrade/dist-upgrade) and K(U)buntu version upgrades might be useful, as the terms are a bit confusing.

You probably are referring to this thread:
      http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...Latest-Updates

when using apt-get to update|upgrade|dist-upgrade this refers to packages only, not to upgrading to a newer version of K(U)buntu. That has its own tool, and as mentioned, you will be prompted for this when the next version is released. There are settings for this in the Software Sources section in Muon's settings which determine what type of release (if any) you want to be prompted for - normal, LTS, etc.

Back to the apt-get stuff

apt-get upgrade will update you to the latest packages , but will not install any new packages in doing so

dist-upgrade does the same, but will also install any required new packages. So if you add the kubuntu-updates ppa, for example, and used upgrade with apt, you would not necessarily get a complete KDE upgrade as there would be a small number of new packages that would not be installed, ones that the upgraded packages might need in their new version.

Comment

Thanks, claydoh. I believe I understood the distinction but thanks for clarifying as it's a very good detailed explanation!

'apt-get upgrade' seems to be good for keeping or using less risk for a stable system while 'dist-upgrade' provides the latest and up-to-date stuff but requires a bit more scrutiny and caution when doing so. In other words, you better know what you're doing.

This other computer I'll be installing Kubuntu 12.10 on, will be on a traditional IDE HDD but other SATA drives are on the same setup. There should be no problems, right? I haven't had to worry about that configuration before.

I think I just have to go into the BIOS to set the IDE for the 1st HDD to be bootable.

I was wondering if there is a recent or up-to-date step-by-step for installing but that goes past initial setup. However, I don't remember much manual configuration since Muon did a lot of it. It was just clicking options and choosing (or searching) the software. In Debian, I had to edit sources list.

A few extras I am being requested to install include VirtualBox but I noticed that there is a recent one configured for 12.10 Ubuntu which I can use.

Comment

Originally posted by kdeputer View Post
          Thanks, claydoh. I believe I understood the distinction but thanks for clarifying as it's a very good detailed explanation!

'apt-get upgrade' seems to be good for keeping or using less risk for a stable system while 'dist-upgrade' provides the latest and up-to-date stuff but requires a bit more scrutiny and caution when doing so. In other words, you better know what you're doing.
          No not quite so extreme All the package managers default to dist-upgrade, it is perfectly safe, and has been for many many years now The real scrutiny comes from what extra repositories one has added. If you use LTS, and do not add any PPA's there should be nothing to worry about. If one adds a PPA, say for the latest KDE, then using upgrade would leave a number of things behind. Luckily, one has control of this completely so in the end it is purely up to you what fits your needs

This other computer I'll be installing Kubuntu 12.10 on, will be on a traditional IDE HDD but other SATA drives are on the same setup. There should be no problems, right? I haven't had to worry about that configuration before.

I think I just have to go into the BIOS to set the IDE for the 1st HDD to be bootable.

I was wondering if there is a recent or up-to-date step-by-step for installing but that goes past initial setup. However, I don't remember much manual configuration since Muon did a lot of it. It was just clicking options and choosing (or searching) the software. In Debian, I had to edit sources list.

A few extras I am being requested to install include VirtualBox but I noticed that there is a recent one configured for 12.10 Ubuntu which I can use.
          There should be no problems mixing sata and ide, setting the ide one as the first drive is a safe way to go

Good gosh I miss having desktop PC hardware to fiddle with ....<sigh>

Comment

It went okay but I installed 13.04 (raring?) and I used unetbootin. I didn't see an option for 12.10 for some reason (which was odd) so I chose the daily build which turns out to be 13.04.

There's two problems with this now. One, I think there is a bug with the screensaver or X-Server. When you leave the computer long enough or have inactivity for a certain amount of time, the system doesn't wake up. It's a pitch black screen and touching the keyboard or moving the mouse doesn't wake the system up. Is there anything that can be done about that to fix it?

Two, I'm being asked to install Insyc and Google Drive. 13.04 or raring is not mentioned but I suppose it would work? Perhaps, I should do a new install and use 12.10? I can select my own .iso if using unetbootin or use dd to create the image (.iso).

Any advice?

Comment

It'll be another month or so before 13.04 is likely to become half-way stable.
              Although, the past several releases I've been quite lucky from the first beta onward.

Providing you have enough disk space and like tinkering you should/could install 12.10 along side and dual boot.
              That's how I'm set up, one stable install (that never gets used) and one to be at the edge.

Comment

Working...
              X