This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightdm freezes with intel_drv.so: undefined symbol

After recent upgrade to Kubuntu 12.10 (Quantal) when I start lightdm it freezes after “checking battery state – OK”. No usefull info in xorg log, but in /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log I can see “/usr/bin/X: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so: undefined symbol: drmGetCap”

Some aditional info:

- Linux 3.5.0-23-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 24 13:05:29 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

- lspci -nnk | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2e32] (rev 03)

- lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 12.10
    Release: 12.10
    Codename: quantal

- ldd /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
    linux-gate.so.1 => (0xb7730000)
    libpciaccess.so.0 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpciaccess.so.0 (0xb75da000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0xb75ae000)
    libudev.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0 (0xb759f000)
    libdrm_intel.so.1 => /lib/libdrm_intel.so.1 (0xb7594000)
    libdrm.so.2 => /lib/libdrm.so.2 (0xb7589000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xb73df000)
    libz.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0xb73c6000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7731000)
    librt.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0xb73bc000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0xb73a1000)

The same kubuntu's version executed from DVD on the same hardaware hasn't problem. The main diference is the linux kernel version: “3.5.0-17-generic”

Thanks for your help, tell me if additional info is needed

First, if kernel 3.5.0-17 is still on the system, you can try and boot into that kernel and see if the system is working.

1) Reboot the system
    2) Hold down shift key
    3) Select boot older kernel
    4) Select 3.5.9-17-generic

See if it works.

Have you tried to reconfigure the lightdm?

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    Restart he system and see if it is working.
    Last edited by Thiudans; Feb 11, 2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I tried with older linux version. If I remember, 3.5.9-19(or 20)-generic. The lightdm worked, but I had other problems like network configuration and so on. So I gave up to try older linux versions.
      Yes, I did sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm many times. Probably "one hundred times"!

Comment

Originally posted by jreinaldo View Post
        I tried with older linux version. If I remember, 3.5.9-19(or 20)-generic. The lightdm worked, but I had other problems like network configuration and so on. So I gave up to try older linux versions.
        Yes, I did sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm many times. Probably "one hundred times"!
        OK, try :

Code:
        sudo apt-get install kdm
        This will install the KDE Display manager. You will be prompted to choose which DM to use while the istallation process completed. Choose kdm from the menu. restart and see if it works. If it does, you have a lightdm issue, so you can safely remove and reinstall lightdm:

Code:
        sudo apt-get remove --purge lightdm
        sudo apt-get install lightdm
        You wil be prompted again during the instal to choose a display manager. Choose lightdm, reboot and test. If it does not work, you can try to re-install the x server:

Code:
        sudo apt-get --reinstall xserver-xorg
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
        Reboot and test.

Comment

I installed kdm.
          It doesn't work. It only confirmed the initial problem. The /var/log/kdm.log says:
          /usr/bin/X: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so: undefined symbol: drmGetCap

So, I guess it's an intel driver problem. How can I confirm(or dismiss) my surmise? And, if true, where can I get help?

Thanks

Comment

First verify you have an Intel chip:

Code:
            lspci | grep VGA
            You should see something like
            Code:
            00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
            If you do, try to reinstall the Intel driver:

Try:

Code:
            sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg-video-intel
            Last edited by Thiudans; Feb 15, 2013, 03:52 PM.

Comment

lspci | grep VGA
              00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

I had done the reinstall and reconfigure xserver-xorg-video-intel.

I did it once more, but...what I get in the /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log is:

/usr/bin/X: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so: undefined symbol: drmGetCap

Comment

OK, so we have reinstalled the X server, reinstalled the driver and reinstalled the Intel driver. We could try and remove the Intel driver, and you eould default to VGA mode. But I don't think that would actually tell us anything useful. It seems to be the case that you have a kernel problem. If I recall correctly, you have more than one kernel and the older kernel works correctly as far as lightdm is concerned, but other issues ocurred

You could revert to the old kernel and do:

Code:
                sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a
                This will take a while, and it may fix the other issues you had with the older kernel. I think it would be best if we had a known good running kernel.

Comment

I went back until linux 3.5.0-17 (the same kernel version on the DVD, that works) and the problem was the same. So it may be a misconfiguration or some garbagge lost somewhere.

I give up.

Thiudans, thank you for your support.. I'll be back to Kubuntu 12.04 and wait for a LTS version.

Comment

Working...
                  X