This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE freeze randomly AFTER Firefox or Thunderbir minimized

KDE freezes totally on my ThinkPad T61 with nVidia Quadro NVS 140 (no proprietary drivers installed yet) after few "minimize" actions on Firefox or Thunderbird.

Steps to reproduce:
    * open firefox, google chrome, some other windows
    * use computer for a while, browse internet
    * minimize, maximize Firefox/Thunderbird couple of times
    > then, after one minimize more KDE freezes

After 2,3 freezes I installed SSH server and now after freeze I can at least cleanly shutdown/reboot the computer.

Any suggestions? I will start with nVidia proprietary driver installation.

I've had this problem before, back when I was using openSUSE, KDE 4.7-something if I remember. The cure was to disable the button effects. Try this:

Go to System Settings > Workspace Appearance > Window Decorations, then under the images of the windows, click the button that says "Configure Decoration...". You'll see a toggle for "Enable Animations", turn it off, then log out and back in again.

That worked for me with openSUSE a while back, and since, even now with Kubuntu, it's one of the first things I turn off. Don't know what it's suppose to do to begin with, it doesn't seem to make any difference in the appearance that I can see.
    Computers don't make mistakes. They only execute them.

Comment

I'm having the same issue. I'll try disabling decoration animations. As far as I can see, the only difference it makes is with fading in/out on mouse-over of buttons (which glow red/blue). It's nicer with the animal, subtly, but if it's causing firefox to crash, I can say goodbye. We'll see if it works.

Comment

Working...
      X