This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Kde Activity Manager Crash at Log-in

I recently rearranged my system to put my linux distros on my larger Hdd and Windows on my smaller, as I hardly use Windows anymore except for games. Everything went well except after the Kubuntu 12.10 install, everytime I boot into Kubuntu I get a crash notification that my KDE Activity Manager has crashed. At first I didn't pay it much attention, as in the past after a couple of updates/upgrades the problem usually went away. However, this time the problem persists. If I try to restart the manager it just immediately crashes again. Without it doesn't seem to affect me much as I rarely use the activities. If I press ctrl-esc I get the systems monitor as I should, but I guess that's not the same thing. Anyway, I went on the net looking for a fix and didn't find one, but found numerous posts reporting this crash going back to Narwhal. Any suggestions?

My system is a Dell Inspiron 531 with an AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual-core processor at 2.0 Ghz. I have two HDDs, one 269Gb with Kubuntu 12.10 and Linux Mint Maya loaded. I also have a 40 Gb drive with Windows XP Sp3. Memory is 4 Gb. Graphics are run with Nvidia GeForce 6150 nForce 430 which is the onboard one shipped with the computer.

thanx,
    capt-zero

Does the same thing happen for a newly created user?

Comment

To be honest, I haven't tried. Right now I'm in Windows; when I'm done I'll try creating a new user and see if it changes anything. I appreciate the feed back.

capt-zero

Comment

I just created a new user and the same thing happens. The activity manager appears to crash during the splash screen (the screen flashes for an instant and if you're looking you can see the crash notifier) and when the desktop appears there are two crash notifiers.

Comment

try this:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          sudo apt-get install -f
          sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Comment

Do I need to 'purge' kubuntu desktop first?

Comment

No, those commands are just confirm that everything installed correctly.

Comment

Followed your suggestions. The results to "sudo apt-get install -f" was:
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                Calculating upgrade... Done
                0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                capt-zero@capt-zero-531:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
                Building dependency tree
                The response to the command "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" was:
                Building dependency tree
                kubuntu-desktop is already the newest version.
                No change when I log out then log back in. Still getting the crash.

Comment

So, not a user config problem or a package problem... what happens when you run it from konsole? Does it give you any hints?

Comment

Never attempted to run kubuntu from the Konsole. Not too sure how.

Comment

Originally posted by capt-zero View Post
                      Never attempted to run kubuntu from the Konsole. Not too sure how.
                      james probably meant running kactivitymanagerd from the konsole

Comment

Opps yes

Comment

FYI, just to mention, I got tired of messing with the issue; so I just did a clean install and the problem has not returned. I can't mark the thread as solved, because the problem was resolved not solved. Thanks very much, james147 and kubicle for your assistance anyway. I appreciate the help.

capt-zero

Comment

A good example of keeping your data backed up and portable.
                            GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

I didn't have any data on there yet. My settings were set up in a separate "/home" partition.

Comment

Working...
                              X