This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot Splash Ugly

My gawd the boot splash is so ugly after installing the Nvidia drivers. The font's are huge and ugly on start-up and shut-down. Can anything be done to fix this ugly?

You can install the grub configuration module by typing " sudo apt-get install kd-config-grub2". You can then configure your bootscreen in System Settings - Startup and Shutdown.
    sigpic

Comment

Same problem here. Dont know what happened between 12.04 and 12.10 but startup sure did get uglier.

Comment

From what I understand this is a plymouth issue in which the resolution gets messed up after installing the proprietary Nvidia drivers. Looking for a fix now! I actually think plymouth is ugly and am looking for a way to disable it and just text-mode boot.

Here is one way I've found to fix it, but I'll wait till someone more knowledgeable chimes in before I try it.

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/05/sim...-plymouth.html
        Last edited by Wallace; Oct 29, 2012, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
          You can install the grub configuration module by typing " sudo apt-get install kd-config-grub2". You can then configure your bootscreen in System Settings - Startup and Shutdown.
          This only allows you to configure grub. The problem is post grub, most likely a plymouth issue, as Wallace said.

Comment

This did it for me:
            http://askubuntu.com/questions/6033/...-splash-screen

Comment

Yup the second option worked for me..thanks!

Comment

This is what I always have to do due to that problem. Go to the grub file located in (/etc/default/). Edit the line that has (GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash") and change it to (GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet vga=792 splash"). I do also change the GRUB_GFXMODE setting to 1024x768. You have to edit that file as root. Once done, go to the konsole and run (sudo update-grub2). Information about VGA setting for the linux cmd line settings is abundant but I do believe if you search here there is some information too.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallace View Post
                  My gawd the boot splash is so ugly after installing the Nvidia drivers. The font's are huge and ugly on start-up and shut-down. Can anything be done to fix this ugly?
                  Hello

Does this file not exist for 12.10? I got as response:
                  Code:
                  kd-config-grub2 kann nicht gefunden werden
                  (can not be found)
                  Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
                  I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                    Hello

Does this file not exist for 12.10? I got as response:
                    Code:
                    kd-config-grub2 kann nicht gefunden werden
                    (can not be found)
                    It should be kde-config-grub2

Comment

Yes, thank you. How stupid of me, not to have stumbled over this myself.
                      Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
                      I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Working...
                      X