This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I install Ubuntu's Unity on my installed Kubuntu 12.10

I have already installed Kubuntu 12.10, I would like to install Ubuntu's Unity on top of it so that like in Ubuntu where you log off you can log back on with Unity or KDE or GNOME etc.

Please let me know if you need any clarification or further information.

Thank you.

should be as easy as

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

you will see programs from both desktops in both desktops.
    Last edited by pauly; Oct 26, 2012, 04:56 PM.

Comment

you can also install gnome-shell as well.

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

Comment

Originally posted by pauly View Post
        should be as easy as

you will see programs from both desktops in both desktops.
        If you do this you will end up with a lot of Ubuntu packages, and if you don't like what you did your going to have a lot to clean up, you should use what Pauly said. That will give you the look and feel of Unity.
        Rob

Comment

Hold that! That's not Unity! I just downloaded it.
          Rob

Comment

Got it!

Code:
            sudo apt-get install unity
            Rob

Comment

Thank You!

Originally posted by Robtygart View Post
              Got it!

Code:
              sudo apt-get install unity
              I appreciate your help pauly & Robtygart.

Comment

Hi IndianArt and welcome to a very friendly and helpful forum!

Just to chime in you possible results.

You really should not have any kind of problems after you have installed Unity.

I have KDE installed over Unity on an old toshiba lappy and I can easily move between the two at login.

And, it has also not affected a second user on the laptop.

Good luck and please come back and tell us how things went!

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hello!
                  In order to avoid all that extra-packages always coming with any desktop environment, staying in your system when you decided to remove it, I've made a little script to install, for example, ubuntu-desktop and make an uninstallation script after installation. It just makes use of the 'find' command to make a list of packets before and after the installation:
                  Code:
                  #!/bin/bash
                  num_version=$(lsb_release -rs)
                  sudo dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall | cut -f1 > before_install
                  sudo apt-get update
                  echo "#!/bin/bash\
                  " > uninstall_ubuntu-$num_version.sh
                  sudo dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall | cut -f1 > after_install
                  diff before_install after_install | grep '>' | awk '{print $2}' | sed -e :a -e N -e 's/\n/ /g' -e ta \
                  | sed 'i\sudo apt-get remove --purge\' | sed -e :a -e N -e 's/\n/ /g' -e ta >> uninstall_ubuntu-$num_version.sh
                  echo "sudo apt-get autoremove -y
                  sudo apt-get autoclean
                  sudo apt-get clean" >> uninstall_ubuntu-$num_version.sh
                  chown $USER uninstall_ubuntu-$num_version.sh
                  chmod u+x uninstall_ubuntu-$num_version.sh
                  rm before_install after_install

#I create an specific folder at my home directory to keep all the uninstaller scripts (in case it doesn't exists yet):
                  mkdir ~/uninstallers 2>/dev/null
                  #I move there my new uninstaller script:
                  mv uninstall_ubuntu-$num_version.sh ~/uninstallers
                  It creates a new folder called ~/uninstallers where a new script, uninstall_ubuntu-12.04.sh (for example) will have been created too.
                  I'm a newbie at scripting, so any constructive comments will be appreciated

Comment

Keeping logs / Experimenting

logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile

Installing the Unity (simulation) with the logsave:
                    Code:
                    logsave Install-Unity.txt sudo apt-get install -s unity
                    There will be Install-Unity.txt file - and it will be have the list of installed files
                    Log of sudo apt-get install -s unity
                    Wed May 1 14:10:35 2013

Reading package lists...
                    Building dependency tree...
                    Reading state information...

The following NEW packages will be installed:
                    account-plugin-facebook account-plugin-flickr account-plugin-generic-oauth
                    account-plugin-google account-plugin-twitter apg appmenu-qt appmenu-qt5
                    at-spi2-core avahi-utils bamfdaemon brasero-common compiz compiz-core
                    compiz-gnome compiz-plugins-default cracklib-runtime cups-pk-helper
                    dconf-tools desktop-file-utils evolution-data-server
                    evolution-data-server-common friends friends-dispatcher friends-facebook
                    friends-twitter gconf2 gcr geoclue geoclue-ubuntu-geoip gir1.2-accounts-1.0
                    gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-dbusmenu-glib-0.4 gir1.2-dee-1.0 gir1.2-ebook-1.2
                    gir1.2-edataserver-1.2 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gdata-0.0
                    gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0 gir1.2-goa-1.0
                    gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0 gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0
                    gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-3.0 gir1.2-messagingmenu-1.0
                    gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0 gir1.2-notify-0.7 gir1.2-packagekitglib-1.0
                    gir1.2-pango-1.0 gir1.2-peas-1.0 gir1.2-rb-3.0 gir1.2-signon-1.0
                    gir1.2-soup-2.4 gir1.2-unity-5.0 gir1.2-webkit-3.0 gkbd-capplet
                    gnome-bluetooth gnome-control-center gnome-control-center-data
                    gnome-control-center-signon gnome-control-center-unity gnome-desktop3-data
                    gnome-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-keyring gnome-menus
                    gnome-session-bin gnome-settings-daemon gnome-user-guide gnome-user-share
                    gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio
                    gstreamer1.0-x gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-bin gvfs-common gvfs-daemons
                    gvfs-libs hud humanity-icon-theme hwdata indicator-application
                    indicator-appmenu indicator-bluetooth indicator-datetime indicator-messages
                    indicator-power indicator-printers indicator-session indicator-sound
                    indicator-sync libaccount-plugin-1.0-0 libaccounts-glib0 libaccounts-qt1
                    libappindicator3-1 libatk-bridge2.0-0 libatspi2.0-0 libbamf3-1
                    libbrasero-media3-1 libburn4 libcamel-1.2-40 libcanberra-gtk3-0
                    libcanberra-gtk3-module libcap2-bin libcolumbus0-0 libcolumbus0-0-common
                    libcompizconfig0 libcrack2 libdbusmenu-qt5 libdecoration0 libdee-1.0-4
                    libdmapsharing-3.0-2 libebackend-1.2-5 libebook-1.2-14 libecal-1.2-15
                    libedata-book-1.2-15 libedata-cal-1.2-18 libedataserver-1.2-17 libframe6
                    libfriends0 libgail-3-0 libgck-1-0 libgcr-3-1 libgcr-3-common
                    libgdata-common libgdata13 libgee2 libgeis1 libglewmx1.8 libglibmm-2.4-1c2a
                    libgmime-2.6-0 libgnome-bluetooth11 libgnome-control-center1
                    libgnome-desktop-3-4 libgnome-menu-3-0 libgnomekbd-common libgnomekbd8
                    libgoa-1.0-0 libgoa-1.0-common libgpod-common libgpod4 libgrail6
                    libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 libgstreamer-plugins-good1.0-0
                    libgstreamer1.0-0 libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common libgtop2-7
                    libgtop2-common libgweather-3-1 libgweather-common libibus-1.0-0
                    libido3-0.1-0 libindicator3-7 libisofs6 libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0
                    libjson-glib-1.0-0 libjte1 libmessaging-menu0 libmetacity-private0a
                    libnm-gtk-common libnm-gtk0 libnux-4.0-0 libnux-4.0-common liboauth0
                    libpackagekit-glib2-14 libpam-cap libpam-gnome-keyring libpeas-1.0-0
                    libpeas-common libprotobuf7 libpwquality1 libquvi-scripts libquvi7
                    librest-0.7-0 librhythmbox-core6 libsecret-1-0 libsecret-common
                    libsignon-extension1 libsignon-glib1 libsignon-plugins-common1 libsignon-qt1
                    libstartup-notification0 libsystemd-daemon0 libtelepathy-glib0
                    libtimezonemap1 libtotem-plparser17 libudisks2-0 libunity-common
                    libunity-core-6.0-5 libunity-misc4 libunity-protocol-private0
                    libunity-webapps0 libunity9 libwacom-common libwacom2 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0
                    libwebkitgtk-3.0-common libwnck-3-0 libwnck-3-common libwnck-common
                    libwnck22 libxkbcommon0 libyelp0 libzeitgeist-1.0-1 media-player-info
                    metacity-common mousetweaks nautilus-data nux-tools policykit-1-gnome
                    python-cairo python-dirspec python-gconf python-gnomekeyring python-gtk2
                    python-libxml2 python-mako python-markupsafe python-notify python-smbc
                    python-xdg python-zeitgeist python3-crypto python3-httplib2 python3-oauthlib
                    rhythmbox rhythmbox-data rhythmbox-mozilla rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder
                    rhythmbox-plugin-zeitgeist rhythmbox-plugins rhythmbox-ubuntuone
                    session-migration signon-keyring-extension signon-plugin-oauth2 signon-ui
                    signond system-config-printer-common system-config-printer-gnome
                    systemd-services systemd-shim ubuntu-system-service udisks2 unity
                    unity-asset-pool unity-common unity-lens-applications unity-lens-files
                    unity-lens-friends unity-lens-music unity-lens-photos unity-lens-shopping
                    unity-lens-video unity-scope-gdrive unity-scope-musicstores
                    unity-scope-video-remote unity-services unity-webapps-service yelp yelp-xsl
                    zeitgeist zeitgeist-core zeitgeist-datahub
                    0 upgraded, 268 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                    The removal of the Unity desktop is a bit easier with the installation list /1/:

Code:
                    sudo apt-get purge account-plugin-facebook account-plugin-flickr account-plugin-generic-oauth ...<snip>... zeitgeist zeitgeist-core zeitgeist-datahub

1. Copy & paste the package list to the kate/kwrite and press the 'Ctrl J' to join/remove the line breaks.

AskUbuntu - How to completely remove desktop?: http://askubuntu.com/questions/73993...remove-desktop
                    Last edited by Rog131; May 01, 2013, 05:53 AM.
                    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
                      logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile

Installing the Unity (simulation) with the logsave:
                      Code:
                      logsave Install-Unity.txt sudo apt-get install -s unity
                      There will be Install-Unity.txt file - and it will be have the list of installed files

The removal of the Unity desktop is a bit easier with the installation list /1/:

Code:
                      sudo apt-get purge account-plugin-facebook account-plugin-flickr account-plugin-generic-oauth ...<snip>... zeitgeist zeitgeist-core zeitgeist-datahub

1. Copy & paste the package list to the kate/kwrite and press the 'Ctrl J' to join/remove the line breaks.

AskUbuntu - How to completely remove desktop?: http://askubuntu.com/questions/73993...remove-desktop
                      Thaks for letting me know about logsave command, cos I didn't. The script given above does that line breaks removal using sed command by itself.
                      And creates the uninstallation script after.
                      But logsave would give me the oportunity not to install it but getting the list of packets that would be, and making an uninstallation script without the need of first installing everything. Great

Comment

Working...
                      X