Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muon reports application update problem - what to do next?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon reports application update problem - what to do next?

Alerted that there were updates to process, I click on the provided system tray icon and get the Muon Update Manager. The window display tells me that there is one "Application Update", and it's text line reads simply "Report a problem". I click on it to see if I can get more information. The detail area at the bottom of the window tells me "The list of changes is not yet available. Please use Launchpad instead."

Huh? What am I supposed to do with this cryptic stuff? I have no idea.

All suggestions welcome.

The "list of changes" is just information about new features or fixes in the update, it's not a problem if it's not yet available. If you really think there's a problem run in a terminal

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    This will update anything that needs to be updated and if not, will give you some information on what the problem is.

Comment

Thanks! Perfect solution. As a frequent GUI user I forget that apt-get is more powerful, to put it mildly.

Worked perfectly.

Comment

You will be much better served if you use sudo apt-get dist-upgrade instead of sudo apt-get upgrade.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

And right you are! - thanks for pointing this out...

from man apt-get

upgrade

upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently
          installed on the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list.
          Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved and
          upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or
          packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of
          currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the
          install status of another package will be left at their current version.

dist-upgrade

dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also
          intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages;
          apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade
          the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary.
          So, dist-upgrade command may remove some packages.

Comment

Working...
          X