This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox installer shoud have been removed as default

It's very sad that Firefox doesn't integrate in KDE. But having Firefox installer available in the programs list is just weird. It should have been removed. People might think Firefox is supposed to be a good browser on this platform while it's clearly unsupported by Kubuntu default.

It's there because a great many Linux users use and want Firefox as their browser.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If you have strong feelings about it, better file a bug report. Also, not sure what do you mean with 'unsupported'. All packages found in main and restricted parts of the archive are officially supported
      As for the KDE integration, search the forums, you'll find relevant info
      sigpic

Comment

yup and it's not that difficult to integrate it, and if you don't want it in your menu. It's pretty easy to remove.

Comment

I am on FIrefox right now. But it's usability is sh*t since 12.04 i think. New users might feel Firefox is somewhat preferred by Kubuntu but it's the browser with least integration that greatly reduces the experience.

This post is not about me but about newcomers. Usual linux users would know how to install firefox. Don't think they need a shortcut to that.

I install linux on my friends PC. It would be embarassing for me to tell them not to use firefox or apply a fix on every computer i deploy kubuntu. IMO, the installer should be removed as default or apply a fix by default

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Nayar View Post
            I am on FIrefox right now. But it's usability is sh*t since 12.04 i think. New users might feel Firefox is somewhat preferred by Kubuntu but it's the browser with least integration that greatly reduces the experience.

This post is not about me but about newcomers. Usual linux users would know how to install firefox. Don't think they need a shortcut to that.

I install linux on my friends PC. It would be embarassing for me to tell them not to use firefox or apply a fix on every computer i deploy kubuntu. IMO, the installer should be removed as default or apply a fix by default

Regards
            To satisfy a few people. When the majority can figure it out on their own. If a person can obtain and install Kubuntu then they can figure out how to configure Firefox or install something else. Firefox works great for me. Just as good as it does on Windows.

Comment

I just think the installer should be removed for the time being because installing firefox using it, then having it not work well for some things requiring a number of extra steps just makes us look bad (and sloppy).

Comment

Wow! I have no problem what so ever with Firefox. Please let me know what these problems are, maybe I am just not seeing them.
                Rob

Comment

For some it is the theming, others it is the lack of the KDE file picker, but for anyone installing FF fresh, it is the lack of any "open-with" settings. It has no clue as to which program to open, as it does not follow any standards other than any gnome or gtk ones. On top of that, instead of a list of programs to select in a simple, straightforward manner, one has to navigate to the exact location of the binary, if you know where it is and the precise name it has. It is just a bit sloppy and does not look good. Nothing at all against FF, just the big flashy installer that installs something a bit broken at the moment for Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    For some it is the theming, others it is the lack of the KDE file picker, but for anyone installing FF fresh, it is the lack of any "open-with" settings. It has no clue as to which program to open, as it does not follow any standards other than any gnome or gtk ones. On top of that, instead of a list of programs to select in a simple, straightforward manner, one has to navigate to the exact location of the binary, if you know where it is and the precise name it has. It is just a bit sloppy and does not look good. Nothing at all against FF, just the big flashy installer that installs something a bit broken at the moment for Kubuntu.
                    What I did when Thunderbird asked I did

/usr/share/applications/

Correct?
                    Rob

Comment

But how does one know that?

Comment

i agree that the firefox installer should be removed simply because its redundent. what is the point of an installer if we have package management. while i understand that the target uses of the firefox installer are new users I feel this does them a diservice by not introducing them to how installing programs really is done on kubuntu. Not to mention that kde intrigration is unavilable for firefox at this time.
                        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          But how does one know that?
                          Code:
                          locate -i firefox
                          lol

Yes your right, most new users, are not going to know that.

Also, why not have installers for other browsers too?
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Robtygart View Post
                            Also, why not have installers for other browsers too?
                            And thus the thinking that there shouldn't be a dedicated Firefox installer at all. There's no reason to "feature" one browser over another, especially when the one given the boost has chosen not to integrate very well with the Linux way.

Comment

If you have ever used Puppy Linux the first time you click the browser button it gives you a box with a List of the top browsers, Firefox, Chrome, opera, and I think another.

I think its a good idea, if your getting Windows people who only know about IE your going to have some annoyed new users, they are going to be starting out with Rekonq, maybe not knowing about other options.

I found a screen shot...

Click image for larger version

Name:	puppy-5-choose-browser.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	640139
                              Last edited by Robtygart; Oct 20, 2012, 10:47 PM.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X