This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub2 problems after upgrade

Hopefully someone will be helped by my experience.

My Kubuntu is on sda3, but upgrading left me with the bootloader on sda - which meant that I could not boot the other partitions. Anyway, sorted that out by reinstalling Ranish partition manager, except I now could not boot sda3. There were two problems: First the partition bootloader had to be reinstalled, but secondly it turned out that the old kernel 3.2.0.32 had been uninstalled and the new kernel 3.5.0.17 installed. OK, but the grub.cfg had not been updated only showed the non+existant 3.2.0-32. To solve that I had to uninstall and purge all grub2 files and reinstall. Voila!

To avoid this in the future, you can use a live CD and load the program "boot-repair" and run it. It has saved me a lot of reinstallation time in the past.

Comment

Thanks, and I tried to save time by not downloading the live CD.

Have an idea what caused my problems. I knew that disk space would be tight, so before upgrading I uninstalled and purged the two oldest of the three kernels. This problably confused the grub2 installer, to make it delete the third old kernel and not updating grub.cfg. Actually the sym-link in the root to vmlinuz-old points to the new kernel as well.

Comment

Working...
      X