This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade hosed system.

Please see thread in 12.04 about upgrading to 12.10.

I am unable to get any desktop now. Stuck in login hell.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

What happens when you try to login?

Comment

Originally posted by pnunn View Post
      Please see thread in 12.04 about upgrading to 12.10.

I am unable to get any desktop now. Stuck in login hell.
      Are you booting into grub rescue? If so, this happened to me during the upgrade today. Its easy to reinstall grub2 from a live disk. Alternatively you can use grub rescue itself, though there are probably more steps. A quick google will help.

Comment

I just get thrown back to the login prompt.

Comment

I'm not sure what I'm booting into. I don't think its rescue.

Comment

Try a console login then run startx, see if it tells you anything useful.

Comment

I can't find your 12.04 thread. If by "login hell" you mean the greeter comes up, you log in, then it takes you back to the greeter, there are a couple of things you can try. Both will require that you hit CTRL-ALT-F1, and log in to the text screen.

1. Try moving your /home/yourusername/.kde directory out of the way. One way of doing this is

mv ~/.kde ~/.kde-save

then try restarting kde:

sudo service lightdm restart

and see if you can log in.

Edit: if you have done an upgrade, you might still beusing kdm, as I am, in which case the command would be:

sudo service kdm restart

and this also works:

sudo service kdm stop
              sudo service kdm start

2. If that works, then the problems are most likely either with a plasma widget, or with compositing. You can remove your plasma widgets by deleting your .kde/share/config/plasma* files. The other thing might be that compositing is broken, and you can fix that by editing .kde/share/config/kwinrc and, in the [Compositing] section, change the "Enabled" value to false.

3. If that doesn't work, then you are probably missing a required package. You can try, again from the text console:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop

4. I f you are not getting the greeter, then look at you /var/log/Xorg.0.log file for errors, as it's likely a video driver problem.
              Last edited by doctordruidphd; Oct 19, 2012, 07:29 AM.
              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thanks so much for your extensive reply. The other thread is called upgrade to 12.10 in the 12.04 thread.

The greeter bits I had already done and have switched back to kdm to try and get things working to no avail.

The --reinstall suggestion however installed a heap of "unselected" packages which got me thinking. I looked in the apt cache and there are a lot of packages there (I thought they were removed when installed) so tried to do reinstall * from that directory but that gives a bunch of errors saying can't find any pacgage by regex blah and unable to locate package blah (even though it is there).

Still no joy though. It does take longer to go back to the greeter now though so I think its trying harder

What is the base kde package I can try reinstalling that would trigger a rebuild?

Thanks.

Comment

kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package that installs all of the required kde files. There is some possibility that you have incompletely installed packages. Just for the fun(?) of it try:

sudo apt-get install -f
                  sudo dpkg --configure -a

and see if that picks up any stragglers from the upgrade.
                  I would suggest at this point, if you have tried renaming your .kde directory and that didn't work, that you may want to start looking at possible video driver problems. /var/log/Xorg.0.log would be the place to start. /var/log/kdm.log might also be helpful if you are using kdm.
                  We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thanks again for the insight but I've just bitten the bullet and backed up everything and started a clean install. Hope it goes better than the upgrade did.

Comment

Working...
                    X