X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youtube accelerated download?

Hi!

Is there any way for an accelerated download from Youtube?
    There are already a lot of "download videos from youtube" addons at firefox online repository.
    Most of them works ok if you just want a couple of funny, music or sports videos.
    However, if you want to download for offline access, a big video ( > 1h, probably a few hundreds MBs), you're just out of luck.
    Chances are that your download will freeze somewhere in the middle of the proccess and you'll probably have to abort (except if pause-resume works for you).

For being more specific, I was trying to download a couple of playthrough videos (of an old DOS adventure game), because I got lost and couldn't continue.
    Viewing them online isn't a good option, because if you try to move the slider back and forth you'll have to wait for a long for the video to cache locally.
    The only comfortable solution (at my personal opinion), is have the video downloaded and moving through it with vlc (or any other player).

At windows it's easy enough to accelerated download a video with fdm addon, but I couldn't found such an addon for linux (although I didn't tried running them on wine).
    What I found, is the flash video downloader (firefox addon), which reveals the direct http link of the video.
    Copying the direct link at Kget (or axel, aria2 or any other download accelerator), will let you have the video at your hd (in acceptable time, without failling in the middle).

If someone knows a direct way to do this (rather this workaround), or just a different way to accomplish this task, please tell us.
    TIA!
    Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
    nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
    eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Check out the command-line utility in the package youtube-dl.

Comment

With Firefox, I use video download helper addon which gives you the (quick) option to use downthemall addon to get an accelerated download. It works with almost any web site with embedded flash videos.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ownloadhelper/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/

EDIT: Make sure to play with the downthemall settings to get the best download speeds.
      Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

THANKS Guys!!!
        I'll try both.
        Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
        AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
        nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
        eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

Working...
        X