Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will a usb wifi adapter add support for WAP?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will a usb wifi adapter add support for WAP?

hi,

i would like to use an old ibm t-42 laptop as a audio client on my WLAN. the t-42 oem wifi card only supports WEP subsequently i have thought i might get around this shortfall by picking up a usb wifi adapter. in particular this one which linuxwireless.org says will work with linux.

my question is will it add the WAP encryption that i am looking for?

thank you.
    “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Linux 3.5.0-21-generic, KDE 4.9.4, Plasma Netbook,
    Grand Unified Bootloader (Grub) 0.97-29ubuntu66 (Legacy version)

Dell MINI 9, Intel Dual Core Atom (2x) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, 32-bits,
    STEC PATA 32GB SSD on IDE Bus, 2Gb RAM.

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

Originally posted by oznola View Post
    hi,

i would like to use an old ibm t-42 laptop as a audio client on my WLAN. the t-42 oem wifi card only supports WEP subsequently i have thought i might get around this shortfall by picking up a usb wifi adapter. in particular this one which linuxwireless.org says will work with linux.

my question is will it add the WAP encryption that i am looking for?

thank you.
    WAP is not really an appropriate encryption system for WiFi. It's designed for GSM networks, instead you should look at WPA/WPA2 with AES or TKIP. In that case it will work just fine. I've never seen an issue with WPA/WPA2 with either AES or TKIP ever.

Comment

hi,

thank you dmeyer, i miss wrote WAP

that's good news then. i can use my t42 for something after all..
      “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Linux 3.5.0-21-generic, KDE 4.9.4, Plasma Netbook,
      Grand Unified Bootloader (Grub) 0.97-29ubuntu66 (Legacy version)

Dell MINI 9, Intel Dual Core Atom (2x) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, 32-bits,
      STEC PATA 32GB SSD on IDE Bus, 2Gb RAM.

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

Comment

Working...
      X