Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i determine if particular sockets are enabled in my kernel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i determine if particular sockets are enabled in my kernel?

hi,

i am trying to use wireshark following the steps to get started in that app documentation. it says that i must be sure that my machine can support packet capture or that "packet capture" was enabled when the kernel was compiled.

i am not sure how to check this.

Please advise.
    “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Linux 3.5.0-21-generic, KDE 4.9.4, Plasma Netbook,
    Grand Unified Bootloader (Grub) 0.97-29ubuntu66 (Legacy version)

Dell MINI 9, Intel Dual Core Atom (2x) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, 32-bits,
    STEC PATA 32GB SSD on IDE Bus, 2Gb RAM.

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

it should be ,,,, but you must run wireshark as root to do it ,,,, like "kdesudo wireshark"

if you want to get into network security check out Backtrack linux , it has more network security and penetration testing tools than you could study in a year.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      it should be ,,,, but you must run wireshark as root to do it ,,,, like "kdesudo wireshark"

if you want to get into network security check out Backtrack linux , it has more network security and penetration testing tools than you could study in a year.

VINNY
      Don't you need patched drivers too in some cases?

Backtrack although the Gold Standard, is a little old and has been reborn as Kali (no new releases yet.) In the meantime though, Backtrack is where it is at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
        Don't you need patched drivers too in some cases?

Backtrack although the Gold Standard, is a little old and has been reborn as Kali (no new releases yet.) In the meantime though, Backtrack is where it is at the moment.
        perhaps but I had no prob. with it last time I used it ,,,,,that being in 12.04 however .

Humm had not herd of Kali (except for my niece that is) will half to search that one up.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

thank you vinny,

you were right. i will look into backtrack too.
          “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Linux 3.5.0-21-generic, KDE 4.9.4, Plasma Netbook,
          Grand Unified Bootloader (Grub) 0.97-29ubuntu66 (Legacy version)

Dell MINI 9, Intel Dual Core Atom (2x) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, 32-bits,
          STEC PATA 32GB SSD on IDE Bus, 2Gb RAM.

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

Comment

Originally posted by oznola View Post
            thank you vinny,

you were right. i will look into backtrack too.
            The thing about Backtrack/Kali is that it is not beginner friendly. I would just install the necessary tools and let live.

Comment

Working...
            X