This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New User - Broadcom BCM4322 issue

I have just upgraded to the latest version of Kubuntu (removed and old Mac 10.5 OS off the macbook). My first attempt, I didn't have it hard wired as the installer couldn't see the wireless card. I read a lot of articles and tried to install the BCM drivers - no luck, Ndis wrapper - no luck, the STA - no luck.

I am new to Kubuntu (and linux in general). So I probably typed a lot of commands wrong. I then re-installed the Kubuntu instance with the hard-wired connection in place allowing it to upgrade.

This time the wireless card can be seen by Kubuntu but it won't find any networks to connect to. Here is the information about my Broadcom wireless card:

03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Apple Inc. AirPort Extreme
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort+ <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 256 bytes
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 23
    Region 0: Memory at 93200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: wl
    Kernel modules: wl, ssb

If I am posting this in the wrong forum, please let me know. I wasn't sure where to post the question.

Possible a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1075407

Otherwise, in a Konsole:

sudo modprobe -r b43
    sudo modprobe -r b43legacy

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

That should automatically download and install the firmware and turn on the wireless. Make sure your Mac doesn't have a mechanical wireless on/off switch that got mistakenly turned off. Ditto for a keyboard toggle.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

This guidance should still be applicable to your BCM4322: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx

Comment

As usual, I forgot something...

You should install "firmware-b43-installer", which will run the b43-installer app.
        And that will only for for a BCM4322 IF the "lspci" command show the port as given by:
        BCM4322 (only 14e4:432b)
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I have read through the articles mentioned and some others and found that after the second install (when I had my laptop connected via the internet). The Broadcom STA drivers were already installed. I then went back and found some articles about the STA drivers not auto starting. I looked at the following file:

/etc/modules

I noticed that the wl.ko (the STA drivers, i think) was not in the file. So I found this command that adds it to the file:

echo wl | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

Now when I boot I get the wireless to work.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, anybody know how to stop the KDE daemon from asking for a password? I assume it is asking for this password so the network manager can gain access to my Wireless connections password.

Comment

One way: Network Management Settings, Other, Store Connections Secrets: In file (unencrypted)

That avoids kwallet.

Comment

You can also just disable KWallet in System Settings/Account Details/KWallet
              GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Got it - thanks!

Comment

To my knowledge, the 'b43' driver does not support 4322 chips, so going with the 'wl' (broadcom sta) driver is probably the correct option.

Comment

As I said:
                    And that will only for for a BCM4322 IF the "lspci" command show the port as given by:

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      I managed to miss that part. It probably is 432b since it's a/b/g/n capable (I assumed we were talking about 14e4:4322).

Comment

Easy to do. I missed a piece of info on another thread and posted info relating to what I thought was a similar sitution. The OP accused me of trying to hijack the thread.

Comment

Working...
                        X