This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 12.10: no Network Printing

I have added two HP networked printers using the AppSocket/HP JetDirect connection. One, a Deskjet 5550 on a Belkin print-server, has to be added using the IP address, but I have added the laser printer, CP3505 both by 'discovering' it on the network and by using its IP address in a JetDirect connection.

The print system is definitely finding the networked printers. However, neither print test, self test nor the printing of a short text document from kate start up the print queue icon in the system tray. Calling up the relevant print queue from System Settings/Printers shows that no documents are being passed to the print queues.

I have rebooted several times and reinstalled the printers several times, but the situation does not change.

Do you think reinstalling CUPS would help?

Roy Leith

HP Packeges in Muon Package Manager

I just have a HP Photosmart C7280 and I use the packages hplip with the hplip-gui to configure the printer. This I did after setting the IP address in the printer. I have found that I need to use the System Settings>Printers to set it as the Default printer and also to do double sided printing.

Hope this helps

Comment

Hi, NoWorries,

No. it doesn't help! That is more or less what I did, so my printers should work.

I was hoping everyone would say that it was totally broken and that a fix was in the works. Now I am going to have to look more deeply.

Thanks for your comment. It assures me that I am not wasting my time trying to get them to work.

Roy Leith

Comment

I have a similar Print issue that Roy has. HP2605dn Kubuntu 12.10.

In my case I had installed 12.10 at Alpha on a HDD partition with updates till now and the printer was working fine.

Installed the 12.10 release on a SSD Friday. Just tried printer yesterday and no luck.

Rebooted to the Older 12.10, did update and print still worked. Then went to system settings, clicked "Printers", removed printer, clicked add new printer and now no print.
        Then I noticed a second "Printer settings"? as I recall in system settings and clicked that, did setup a new printer and it now prints.

The released version of 12.10 only has the "Printers" icon and no "Printer settings" icon. I don't remember seeing this distinction before.

Edit see http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...nting-in-12-10 for possible fix.

Ken.
        Last edited by lcorken; Oct 23, 2012, 09:17 PM. Reason: Solution??
        Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Kubuntu 12.10: no Network Printing - Solved

Thanks Icorken,

That link solved it!

Systemsettings - > Printer (Reject print jobs). If you put that checkmark, the printer rejects all printings. That checkmark is put in by default in the new 12.10 distribution.

Unchecking that allowed me to print on both printers. There are still odd things going on. The print queue icons do not appear in the system tray, although that could be because the print time of my test page is so short. One of the printers got itself into a bit of a pickle. I will test things more thoroughly when I next boot up.

Roy Leith

Comment

Working...
          X