This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to correctly load Nvidia drivers for gforce gs 7300 video card

I am unable to download and correctly install the drivers through additional drivers. When I do, I get a resolution that is too large upon reboot. The system also becomes unreponsive. What do I do?

We need more info about your system and OS distro. For example 12.10, 12.04, etc.. Also are you running 32 bit. There is no such thing as too much.

Next if you are using a Live CD, you can more than likely boot from the CD using the "try Kubuntu" and this will greatly assist you in repairs. Once you are able to access the HDD on your machine copy your files;
    • /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    • ~/.nvidia-settings-rc

and attach them here.

If for some reason you cannot find these, just let us know. That should be enough to get the ball rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
      We need more info about your system and OS distro. For example 12.10, 12.04, etc.. Also are you running 32 bit. There is no such thing as too much.

Next if you are using a Live CD, you can more than likely boot from the CD using the "try Kubuntu" and this will greatly assist you in repairs. Once you are able to access the HDD on your machine copy your files;
      • /etc/X11/xorg.conf
      • ~/.nvidia-settings-rc

and attach them here.

If for some reason you cannot find these, just let us know. That should be enough to get the ball rolling.
      I am also sure his card is now a legacy driver. I think the latest driver he can use is 304.xx

Source: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

Comment

My system is Kubuntu 12.10 (64 bit version). I am running a AMD 64 bit athelon processor (2 ghz). I have already downloaded the driver from Nvidia. When I try to install the driver (which is a run file), I load in the command SH and then the name of the file. It begins running the program but, part way though the process it gives me a message that I need to be in root. I then get in root by entering sudo -i. When I enter the same SH command, the command prompt does not recongize the command. WHen I try to CD in the root, it say that the directory does not exist. What am I doing wrong here? I have tried everything that I can think of to get this driver to load. Please help.

Comment

Originally posted by ronnowoy View Post
          My system is Kubuntu 12.10 (64 bit version). I am running a AMD 64 bit athelon processor (2 ghz). I have already downloaded the driver from Nvidia. When I try to install the driver (which is a run file), I load in the command SH and then the name of the file. It begins running the program but, part way though the process it gives me a message that I need to be in root. I then get in root by entering sudo -i. When I enter the same SH command, the command prompt does not recongize the command. WHen I try to CD in the root, it say that the directory does not exist. What am I doing wrong here? I have tried everything that I can think of to get this driver to load. Please help.
          Do not install nvidia drivers from the website unless you want to do it the very very hard way.

Uninstall the driver then:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get install linux-source
          sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
          sudo apt-get install linux-image
          sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
          That should give you 304.xx driver which is the latest one that still supports your graphics card.

Comment

WOW!! It worked. Thank you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ronnowoy View Post
              WOW!! It worked. Thank you so much.
              With pleasure.

Comment

Working...
              X