This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alsa Vs Audigy + flash + Pulse Audio, workaround

There is one weird decision from the team that makes and maintains Quantal distro,
    which is why on some configurations (mine for example), adobe flash, audio in general - do not know "where should go to".
    That decision is - preconfigured and installed Pulse Audio.

Pulse server/framework, whatever it is, is - a little bit - not good for Audigy cards.
    Now add increddibly greedy decisions and "support" from Adobe Flash on the top of that.

If there is at least one more additional VGA HDMI audio port beside default audio device,
    just as it is in many pc cases (ATI HDMI for example), the following situation may occur :

Video clip video runs smoothly, great, but without sound, all of the sudden. During that period, the audio (amarok, mp3, etc.) runs ok, but not as expected. Flash and HTML5 video or any video stream - nope. Silence. A card, instead of being identified as SB Audigy 4 [SB0610] with all the bass and treble equalizer hardware becomes SB Audigy2 [duplex stereo] .. :mad:
    Well, it's some kind of identify.

Pulse Audio bug, most likely. Or not.

When I log in as root, not as a normal sudo => root, and start KDE, Phonon throws the right choice for audio hardware, with all the options and everything is ok.
    KDE asks if I would get to keep audio devices found, however, after the normal login, everything is the same as before. ( That is why you should never fool your self to login and work as primary system root, especially when You want to write configuration files with root only permissions. If You only want to check some portion for good, it's ok than. ) Flash will draw, but will not sing, the audio is ... well, is not that what it should be.

Fortunately, the solution to this preconfigured "Pulse auto-decision" is - simple because, alsa is beautifully preconfigured by default as well. Works great.

If someone ran into similar trouble as I did,
    kill all programs that run in the background, using audio, etc. .. then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio
    You may or may not want to remove all other pulse leftovers manually.
    Also, kmix, may or may not be removed, because there are better hard-core alternatives for mixer application.
    Reboot.

After that, there is only good old Alsa and everything works as it should. Flash, audio, another video at the same time .. no errors, no more wrong auto-decisions by Pulse.
    JUST alsa - does the job perfectly. At least, precisely and correct for Audigy2/Audigy4 based sound cards.

Those who are struggling with adjusting / modifying Alsa files, it does not hurt to stop by here >> Alsa Wiki
    .. and here .. some more interesting information >> Multiple Cards

As for the mixer, the mixer at all, rather than a kmix, this really works nicely >> QasTools

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	647923

I assume that pulse has a very good role if it runs on a netbook or notebook, or when audio network sharing of any kind is all about, but when it comes to regular php/dev PC, PulseAudio is only the excess.. therefore, this just can't be applied as bug category, because drivers for Windoze do suck, too, and are hard to find and to assign properly. Harder than ALSA. In fact, ALSA is the top choice for SB Audigy models, no doubt.

All of You "Creative" folks who have a desire to try out this distro, and use it for good (don't know about other sound cards, other than Audigy models), with more than one audio hardware available on desktop system, should be aware of this.
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Feb 01, 2013, 09:49 AM.
    "If women are able to fake orgasm, we are than able to fake the whole relationship."

I personally think Pulse is brilliant. Never had an issue with it that can't be fixed either through Phonon or Alsamixer from the commandline. Sometimes people swear by pavucontrol but I've never needed it. Often, uninstalling Pulse has left me with many other headaches.

'd like to point out that Pulseaudio works hand in hand with Alsa. Alsa tends to have more simplistic and sane defaults which is why people often jump to removing pulse but its generally wiser to just try a few default troubleshooting steps to get pulse working before bringing out the nukes. Switching from the gstreamer to the vlc phonon backend is usually a cure for most playback headaches.

Pulse is pretty much a must for very complex audio set-ups like multimedia through one set of speakers, and notifications through another etc. This is particularly true for complex home media setups.

Nonetheless, I would like to extend my thanks to you for your very detailed post and although it might have been necessary in your case, I would like to warn most people who happen upon this thread to try other solutions first.

Note to noobs/95% of people: ask for help, there is a reason we default to pulse and kmix because it works more often than not and simplifies the overall experience.

P.S. Qas Tools looks cool. Never heard of it before. TIL.

Comment

Originally posted by Bald.Penguin View Post
      As for the mixer, the mixer at all, rather than a kmix, this really works nicely >> QasTools
      Interesting...does QasTools allow you to direct sound from different sources (programs) to different sinks (outputs)?

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
      Pulse is pretty much a must for very complex audio set-ups like multimedia through one set of speakers, and notifications through another etc.
      Yep...I rely on Pulse and VeroMix to correctly route sound on my setup. Normal audio through the speakers; my SIP client (currently Yate) through a USB headset.
      Last edited by SteveRiley; Feb 01, 2013, 09:49 AM.

Comment

@dmeyer

Nonetheless, I would like to extend my thanks to you for your very detailed post and although it might have been necessary in your case, I would like to warn most people who happen upon this thread to try other solutions first.
        Yes, it was.
        Everything works out if Alsa is configured correctly. And Kubuntu 12.10 64bit does have perfect alsa configuration, out of the box. Thank you Kubuntu developers for that. Audigy cards are quite rock-solid regarding hardware and possibilities, but that's where it stops. There is no good original software for it (even for windoze). Creative never provided enough for their customers from that point. And we are on our own.

It was necessary in my case to try out this simple removal approach, and that doesn't means that I hate or swear at pulse "auto-decisions", as I stated. In my case, this is winwin combination as every sound now goes through WAVE and FRONT channels in stereo mode. Doesn't matter how much audio sources I play now simultaneously, it just plays and outputs as it should. With both Bass and Treble - Tone hardware support - system wide, while flash doesn't loose sound anymore. Cheers.

@SteveRiley

Adobe. I just hate them. They blew - everything. When they bought Macromedia, they bloated - everything (except PS). I hate flash because of them, and I know that I am not the only one. The worst, a must have plug-in (unfortunatelly) for any operating system (you name it). Dreamweaver for example, was EXCELLENT web design suite, fast and quite reliable. We all (web designers) just loved that piece of software.. Now? What is Dreamweaver? Dreamweaver (suite, entire) has become a pile of crap. Huge bloat code that eats your hard drive space, and does nothing more than one simple Kate or Notepad++ or notepadqq, or gedit with two or three additional plugs, can't do for you.

Interesting...does QasTools allow you to direct sound from different sources (programs) to different sinks (outputs)?
        Yes. I believe that's "QasHctl" part of package, a mixer/channel router for ALSA's more complex "High level Control Interface", however, I still didn't played with, as I don't need that. All I need is stable web dev/design machine that can provide high-quality stereo sound output while I am working.
        Last edited by SteveRiley; Feb 01, 2013, 09:51 AM.
        "If women are able to fake orgasm, we are than able to fake the whole relationship."

Comment

Working...
        X