This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't install Kubuntu with chip Pentium (R) M

Hi all. I tried to install Kubuntu 12.10 on my laptop, chip Intel Pentium (R) M Processor. But i can't install with both USB boot & DVD. When i run installer, system will notice a error:
    This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: pae
    Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU
    This problem appear when i install Linux OS, i tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Chromes OS, JoliCloud OS, but with Windows it run normally.
    I can't find solution of this problem. Could u help me. Thank for ur help!

With I think they switched to pae being mandatory from 12.04 onwards. Just read this: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/how-t...n-non-pae.html

I know its inconveniencing but its only affected a minimum number of users so don't hate on Cannonical. By the way, You did not search for a solution. I googled the issue and this was the first link!

Comment

Thanks bro . Because i have just changed a old laptop with another configuration, and that error is first time so i don't know how search...

Comment

You can install 32 bit Kubuntu 12.04 (LTS) without issue on that laptop.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I installed Kubuntu 11.04 LTS on my laptop but Google Chrome run slowly . I think my laptop configuration not enough...!

Comment

Originally posted by seoernghiepdu View Post
            I installed Kubuntu 11.04 LTS on my laptop but Google Chrome run slowly . I think my laptop configuration not enough...!
            what are the specks of your computer? CPU, RAM,GPU .....if your not sure ,, in a konsole type these commands to see ,,for CPU
            Code:
            cat /proc/cpuinfo
            ,,,,for RAM
            Code:
            free -m
            this will show in MB's,,for GPU
            Code:
            lspci | grep -i vga
            VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Configuration:
              CPU: Intel Pentium (R) M Processor 1.5GHz
              RAM: total used free shared buffers cached
              Mem: 488 448 39 0 2 59
              -/+ buffers/cache: 386 102
              Swap: 501 251 250

GPU: Intel Corporation 82852/855M Intergrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

Can i understand not exactly about System requirement of software publisher, perhaps?. I read on support page & some forums of Kubuntu & Google Chrome, they said minumum of configuration is chip 800MHz & RAM 256 MB for both. But when i run Chrome on Kubuntu, it run slowly, although peripherals as keyboard, mouse...run normal speed but software program run very slowly, sometimes it react slower some seconds than hardware impact. I have tried to using default browser onKubuntu (as a dragon) but situation be improved not significant...
              Should i how understand exactly about System required configuration, bro?. Thanks
              Last edited by seoernghiepdu; Jan 30, 2013, 11:07 PM.

Comment

See System Requirements
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Oh lol, unexpect has different of Wikipedia & Ubuntu forum disscussion topic. Should i use what version of Linux with that conf...?

Comment

Install kubuntu-lowfat-settings and reboot. See if that helps
                    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                    K*Digest Blog
                    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I doubt one should expect decent performance from Chrome with only 512 MB RAM...

Comment

It's ok with Kubuntu low fat, thanks bro ...!

Comment

My laptop has the same video card.

I use Crunchbang on it. It runs out of the box.

By default it is Openbox, but I do: apt-get install xfce4* - and xfce4 runs fine.

If all else fails try Crunchbang and see if it will run with KDE
                          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Also I definitely have to give a shout out to Bodhi. Give it a go (live-cd/usb is recommended). Absolutely brilliant distro for old laptops and I think it is sort of orientated at lower end hardware. Also E17 is a joy when it comes to limited resources without sacrificing basic functionality.

I genuinely feel that you won't get a satisfactory experience with your hardware and something like KDE.

Comment

Working...
                            X