X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

notebook with dual graphics

Hi,

I have a notebook that has both an Intel and a Nvidia graphics cards, I've installed Kubuntu on it and I found the installation selected the Intel graphics card and configured X to use it. Is it possible to modify this behaviour and make the Nvidia card the default one?

Thanks in advance!

--
    Toshiro
    http://www.perlhowto.com

Yes, but with some effort. We need to know a lot more, such as the brand and model of your laptop. Also, please show the output of
    Code:
    lspci -k

Comment

After using Bumblebee for I while I decided to just set the for the session appropriate video card at boot in the BIOS.
      Once started up on nVidia you can install the additional drivers.

But first follow SteveRiley's path because you might have a different set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
        After using Bumblebee for I while I decided to just set the for the session appropriate video card at boot in the BIOS.
        I, too, abandoned Bumblebee after nVidia binary blob started working properly on my T520 with the firmware set in discrete mode. Before the 304.xx series, the driver would fail to load for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Yes, but with some effort. We need to know a lot more, such as the brand and model of your laptop. Also, please show the output of
          Code:
          lspci -k
          Hi Steve,
          I have an ASUS R501VM N56VM with dual graphics. I have installed the extra packages from http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu which, as well as upgrading the video packages, it also upgraded my kernel to 3.7.0-7. It still only shows the Intel driver. The output that I get from the lspci commands is:
          Code:
          ~$ lspci -k
          00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)                                                                                             
                  Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1477                                                                                                                               
          00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)                                                                        
                  Kernel driver in use: pcieport                                                                                                                                             
                  Kernel modules: shpchp                                                                                                                                                     
          00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)                                                                           
                  Kernel driver in use: i915                                                                                                                                                 
                  Kernel modules: i915                                                                                                                                                       
          00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)                                                                    
                  Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd                                                                                                                                             
          00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)                                                                 
                  Kernel driver in use: mei
                  Kernel modules: mei
          00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
                  Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
          00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
                  Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
                  Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
          00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
          00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
          00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
          00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
                  Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
          00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
                  Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
                  Kernel modules: lpc_ich
          00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
                  Kernel driver in use: ahci
          00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
                  Kernel modules: i2c-i801
          01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 630M] (rev a1)
                  Kernel driver in use: nouveau
                  Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidiafb
          03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
                  Subsystem: AzureWave Device 2c97
                  Kernel driver in use: ath9k
                  Kernel modules: ath9k
          04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
          I am wondering if you have any suggestions as to what I can do to use the GeForce GT 630M video card and not the Intel Graphics Controller.

Comment

This...
            Code:
            01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 630M] (rev a1)
                    Kernel driver in use: nouveau
                    Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidiafb
            Shows that your nVidia graphics is detected. However, the kernel is loading the open source Nouveau driver. If the kernel were loading the binary driver, you'd see:
            Code:
                    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
            I'd recommend using nVidia all the time, unless you need longer battery life. This will be simpler to set up and operate than Bumblebee. In your BIOS/UEFI firmware setup, disable "integrated" graphics. On my ThinkPad, that means selecting "discrete" graphics. Next, boot into Kubuntu. If have an existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf, delete it. If you have an existing xrandrrc somewhere in your home directory hierarchy, delete it.

Run
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
            sudo apt-get install build-essential
            sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
            to install the binary driver.

Run
            Code:
            nvidia-settings
            to configure your card and create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I'm working from memory here, but I think that's what I did. Oshunluvr might chime in with more info, he's got a lot of experience with nVidia.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Firstly, I decided to revert back to the kernel 5.2.0-22 after trying the 5.7.0 kernel from xorg-edgers. So I now have my keyboard lights working and everything is back to "normal".

My BIOS has no option to alter the graphics, so I was not able to disable anything related to the graphic card. I was able to install the nvidia-current and the output that I got was:
              Code:
              ~$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree       
              Reading state information... Done
              The following extra packages will be installed:
                nvidia-settings pkg-config screen-resolution-extra
              The following NEW packages will be installed:
                nvidia-current nvidia-settings pkg-config screen-resolution-extra                                                   
              0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.                                                        
              Need to get 69.6 MB of archives.                                                                                      
              After this operation, 208 MB of additional disk space will be used.                                                   
              Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y                                                                                      
              Get:1 http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/ quantal/restricted nvidia-current amd64 304.51.really.304.43-0ubuntu1 [67.7 MB]                                                                                                     
              Get:2 http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/ quantal/main pkg-config amd64 0.26-1ubuntu2 [41.3 kB]         
              Get:3 http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/ quantal/main screen-resolution-extra all 0.15 [13.1 kB]       
              Get:4 http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/ quantal/main nvidia-settings amd64 304.51-0ubuntu2 [1,820 kB] 
              Fetched 69.6 MB in 18s (3,783 kB/s)                                                                                   
              Selecting previously unselected package nvidia-current.                                                               
              (Reading database ... 154717 files and directories currently installed.)
              Unpacking nvidia-current (from .../nvidia-current_304.51.really.304.43-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
              Selecting previously unselected package pkg-config.
              Unpacking pkg-config (from .../pkg-config_0.26-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
              Selecting previously unselected package screen-resolution-extra.
              Unpacking screen-resolution-extra (from .../screen-resolution-extra_0.15_all.deb) ...
              Selecting previously unselected package nvidia-settings.
              Unpacking nvidia-settings (from .../nvidia-settings_304.51-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
              Processing triggers for man-db ...
              Setting up nvidia-current (304.51.really.304.43-0ubuntu1) ...
              update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode
              update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-current/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode
              update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
              INFO:Enable nvidia-current
              DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/put_your_quirks_here
              DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/lenovo_thinkpad
              DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/dell_latitude
              DEBUG:Processing quirk ThinkPad T420s
              DEBUG:Failure to match ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. with LENOVO
              DEBUG:Quirk doesn't match
              DEBUG:Processing quirk Latitude E6530
              DEBUG:Failure to match ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. with Dell Inc.
              DEBUG:Quirk doesn't match
              Loading new nvidia-current-304.43 DKMS files...
              First Installation: checking all kernels...
              Building only for 3.5.0-22-generic
              Building for architecture x86_64
              Building initial module for 3.5.0-22-generic
              Done.

nvidia_current:
              Running module version sanity check.
               - Original module
                 - No original module exists within this kernel
               - Installation
                 - Installing to /lib/modules/3.5.0-22-generic/updates/dkms/

depmod.......

DKMS: install completed.
              Setting up pkg-config (0.26-1ubuntu2) ...
              Setting up screen-resolution-extra (0.15) ...
              Setting up nvidia-settings (304.51-0ubuntu2) ...
              update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-settings/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/nvidia_settings.conf (nvidia_settings_conf) in auto mode
              Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
              update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-22-generic
              :~$
              I tried running nvidia-settings and I got the output shown in the attached graphic and then quit. I decided to try re-running the nvidia-settings as root and this resulted in the Laptop screen only having 640x480 resolution.

After deleting the xorg.conf my system was back to behaving better and the lspci now gives
              Code:
                      Kernel driver in use: nvidia                                                                                  
                      Kernel modules: nvidia_current, nouveau, nvidiafb
              This now looks as though I am now using the nvidia driver. Is this correct?

I checked the output of Kinfocenter and now the OpenGL give the message "Could not initialize OpenGL". The X-Server now gives the output in the attached graphic.

Thanks for your help.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes, the kernel is now using the binary driver. But X isn't. May I please see the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Also, does your computer's firmware (BIOS or UEFI) allow you to switch graphics to "discrete only" mode or something similarly worded?

Comment

Yes, the kernel is now using the binary driver. But X isn't. May I please see the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
                  Hi Steve,
                  Well here is the Xorg.0.log file in all its glory.
                  Code:
                  [    23.487] 
                  X.Org X Server 1.13.1.901 (1.13.2 RC 1)
                  Release Date: 2013-01-03
                  [    23.487] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
                  [    23.487] Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-32-xen x86_64 Ubuntu
                  [    23.487] Current Operating System: Linux basil 3.5.0-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 2 21:47:30 UTC 2013 x86_64
                  [    23.487] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.5.0-22-generic.efi.signed root=UUID=11d33f11-6fc0-40a6-a86d-d76d76ff9549 ro quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux vt.handoff=7
                  [    23.487] Build Date: 04 January 2013  11:17:34AM
                  [    23.487] xorg-server 2:1.13.1.901+git20130104+server-1.13-branch.3a8c618a-0ubuntu0ricotz~quantal (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 
                  [    23.487] Current version of pixman: 0.28.2
                  [    23.487] 	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
                  	to make sure that you have the latest version.
                  [    23.487] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
                  	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
                  	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
                  [    23.487] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jan 10 14:04:30 2013
                  [    23.585] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
                  [    23.695] (==) No Layout section.  Using the first Screen section.
                  [    23.695] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
                  [    23.695] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
                  [    23.695] (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
                  [    23.695] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
                  	Using a default monitor configuration.
                  [    23.695] (==) Automatically adding devices
                  [    23.695] (==) Automatically enabling devices
                  [    23.695] (==) Automatically adding GPU devices
                  [    23.765] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
                  [    23.765] 	Entry deleted from font path.
                  [    23.765] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/" does not exist.
                  [    23.765] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
                  [    23.774] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi" does not exist.
                  [    23.774] 	Entry deleted from font path.
                  [    23.774] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
                  [    23.774] 	Entry deleted from font path.
                  [    23.775] (WW) The directory "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType" does not exist.
                  [    23.775] 	Entry deleted from font path.
                  [    23.775] (==) FontPath set to:
                  	/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
                  	/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
                  	built-ins
                  [    23.775] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules,/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules,/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
                  [    23.775] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
                  	If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
                  [    23.775] (II) Loader magic: 0x7f5bf5f74c40
                  [    23.775] (II) Module ABI versions:
                  [    23.775] 	X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
                  [    23.775] 	X.Org Video Driver: 13.1
                  [    23.775] 	X.Org XInput driver : 18.0
                  [    23.775] 	X.Org Server Extension : 7.0
                  [    23.775] (II) config/udev: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
                  [    23.776] (--) PCI:*(0:0:2:0) 8086:0166:1043:1477 rev 9, Mem @ 0xf7400000/4194304, 0xd0000000/268435456, I/O @ 0x0000f000/64
                  [    23.776] (--) PCI: (0:1:0:0) 10de:0de9:1043:1477 rev 161, Mem @ 0xf6000000/16777216, 0xe0000000/268435456, 0xf0000000/33554432, I/O @ 0x0000e000/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/524288
                  [    23.776] (II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension XTEST
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension SYNC
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension RENDER
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension RANDR
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension RECORD
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension DPMS
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension XVideo
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DGA
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DRI
                  [    23.776] Initializing built-in extension DRI2
                  [    23.776] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
                  [    23.898] (II) Loading /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so
                  [    25.208] (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
                  [    25.208] 	compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
                  [    25.208] 	Module class: X.Org Server Extension
                  [    25.208] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  304.43  Sun Aug 19 20:34:01 PDT 2012
                  [    25.208] Loading extension GLX
                  [    25.208] (==) Matched intel as autoconfigured driver 0
                  [    25.208] (==) Matched intel as autoconfigured driver 1
                  [    25.208] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 2
                  [    25.208] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 3
                  [    25.208] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 4
                  [    25.208] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
                  [    25.208] (II) LoadModule: "intel"
                  [    25.280] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
                  [    25.342] (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                  [    25.342] 	compiled for 1.13.1.901, module version = 2.20.17
                  [    25.342] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
                  [    25.342] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 13.1
                  [    25.342] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
                  [    25.342] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
                  [    25.361] (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                  [    25.361] 	compiled for 1.13.0, module version = 2.3.2
                  [    25.361] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
                  [    25.361] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 13.0
                  [    25.361] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
                  [    25.362] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so
                  [    25.384] (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                  [    25.384] 	compiled for 1.13.0, module version = 0.5.0
                  [    25.384] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
                  [    25.384] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 13.0
                  [    25.384] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
                  [    25.384] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
                  [    25.390] (II) Module fbdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                  [    25.390] 	compiled for 1.12.99.903, module version = 0.4.3
                  [    25.390] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
                  [    25.390] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 13.0
                  [    25.390] (II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
                  	i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G,
                  	E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM, Pineview G,
                  	965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33, GM45,
                  	4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, B43, Clarkdale, Arrandale,
                  	Sandybridge Desktop (GT1), Sandybridge Desktop (GT2),
                  	Sandybridge Desktop (GT2+), Sandybridge Mobile (GT1),
                  	Sandybridge Mobile (GT2), Sandybridge Mobile (GT2+),
                  	Sandybridge Server, Ivybridge Mobile (GT1), Ivybridge Mobile (GT2),
                  	Ivybridge Desktop (GT1), Ivybridge Desktop (GT2), Ivybridge Server,
                  	Ivybridge Server (GT2), Haswell Desktop (GT1), Haswell Desktop (GT2),
                  	Haswell Desktop (GT2+), Haswell Mobile (GT1), Haswell Mobile (GT2),
                  	Haswell Mobile (GT2+), Haswell Server (GT1), Haswell Server (GT2),
                  	Haswell Server (GT2+), Haswell SDV Desktop (GT1),
                  	Haswell SDV Desktop (GT2), Haswell SDV Desktop (GT2+),
                  	Haswell SDV Mobile (GT1), Haswell SDV Mobile (GT2),
                  	Haswell SDV Mobile (GT2+), Haswell SDV Server (GT1),
                  	Haswell SDV Server (GT2), Haswell SDV Server (GT2+),
                  	Haswell ULT Desktop (GT1), Haswell ULT Desktop (GT2),
                  	Haswell ULT Desktop (GT2+), Haswell ULT Mobile (GT1),
                  	Haswell ULT Mobile (GT2), Haswell ULT Mobile (GT2+),
                  	Haswell ULT Server (GT1), Haswell ULT Server (GT2),
                  	Haswell ULT Server (GT2+), Haswell CRW Desktop (GT1),
                  	Haswell CRW Desktop (GT2), Haswell CRW Desktop (GT2+),
                  	Haswell CRW Mobile (GT1), Haswell CRW Mobile (GT2),
                  	Haswell CRW Mobile (GT2+), Haswell CRW Server (GT1),
                  	Haswell CRW Server (GT2), Haswell CRW Server (GT2+),
                  	ValleyView PO board
                  [    25.390] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
                  [    25.390] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
                  [    25.390] (II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
                  [    25.390] (++) using VT number 7

[    25.391] (II) intel(0): SNA compiled: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.20.17+git20130107.b8c95982-0ubuntu0sarvatt~quantal (Robert Hooker <sarvatt@ubuntu.com>)
                  [    25.391] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
                  [    25.391] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
                  [    25.391] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
                  [    25.391] (II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
                  [    25.391] (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
                  [    25.403] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfbdevhw.so
                  [    25.418] (II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                  [    25.418] 	compiled for 1.13.1.901, module version = 0.0.2
                  [    25.418] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 13.1
                  [    25.418] (II) intel(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
                  	"Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
                  [    25.418] (==) intel(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
                  [    25.418] (==) intel(0): RGB weight 888
                  [    25.418] (==) intel(0): Default visual is TrueColor
                  [    25.418] (--) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile (GT2)
                  [    25.419] (**) intel(0): Framebuffer tiled
                  [    25.419] (**) intel(0): Pixmaps tiled
                  [    25.419] (**) intel(0): "Tear free" disabled
                  [    25.419] (**) intel(0): Forcing per-crtc-pixmaps? no
                  [    25.419] (II) intel(0): Output LVDS1 has no monitor section
                  [    25.419] (--) intel(0): found backlight control interface acpi_video1 (type 'firmware')
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Output VGA1 has no monitor section
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): EDID for output LVDS1
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Manufacturer: AUO  Model: 24ec  Serial#: 0
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Year: 2011  Week: 0
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): EDID Version: 1.4
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Digital Display Input
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): 6 bits per channel
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Digital interface is undefined
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Max Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 34  vert.: 19
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Gamma: 2.20
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): No DPMS capabilities specified
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Supported color encodings: RGB 4:4:4 
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Preferred mode is native pixel format and refresh rate
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): redX: 0.580 redY: 0.335   greenX: 0.330 greenY: 0.565
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): blueX: 0.155 blueY: 0.140   whiteX: 0.313 whiteY: 0.329
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Supported detailed timing:
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): clock: 70.2 MHz   Image Size:  344 x 193 mm
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): h_active: 1366  h_sync: 1382  h_sync_end 1398 h_blank_end 1484 h_border: 0
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): v_active: 768  v_sync: 771  v_sync_end 785 v_blanking: 788 v_border: 0
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Unknown vendor-specific block f
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0):  AUO
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0):  B156XTN02.4
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): EDID (in hex):
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): 	00ffffffffffff0006afec2400000000
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): 	001501049022137802bbf59455549027
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): 	23505400000001010101010101010101
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): 	0101010101016c1b5676500014301010
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): 	3e0058c1100000180000000f00000000
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): 	00000000000000000020000000fe0041
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): 	554f0a202020202020202020000000fe
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): 	004231353658544e30322e34200a00e7
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "320x240" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "400x300" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "400x300" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "512x384" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "640x480" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "640x512" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "800x600" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "896x672" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "928x696" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "960x720" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "576x432" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "680x384" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "680x384" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "700x525" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "720x450" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "800x512" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "840x525" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "840x525" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "960x540" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "960x600" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (doublescan mode not supported)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Printing probed modes for output LVDS1
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1366x768"x60.0   70.20  1366 1382 1398 1484  768 771 785 788 -hsync -vsync (47.3 kHz eP)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1360x768"x59.8   84.75  1360 1432 1568 1776  768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync (47.7 kHz d)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1360x768"x60.0   72.00  1360 1408 1440 1520  768 771 781 790 +hsync -vsync (47.4 kHz d)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x60.0   65.00  1024 1048 1184 1344  768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz d)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x60.3   40.00  800 840 968 1056  600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz d)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x56.2   36.00  800 824 896 1024  600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync (35.2 kHz d)
                  [    25.568] (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x59.9   25.18  640 656 752 800  480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz d)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): EDID for output VGA1
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Manufacturer: CMO  Model: 198  Serial#: 16843009
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Year: 2004  Week: 49
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): EDID Version: 1.3
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Analog Display Input,  Input Voltage Level: 0.700/0.700 V
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Sync:  Separate
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Max Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 38  vert.: 30
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Gamma: 2.20
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): DPMS capabilities: Off; RGB/Color Display
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Default color space is primary color space
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): GTF timings supported
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): redX: 0.634 redY: 0.348   greenX: 0.285 greenY: 0.590
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): blueX: 0.143 blueY: 0.073   whiteX: 0.313 whiteY: 0.329
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Supported established timings:
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 720x400@70Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 640x480@60Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 640x480@67Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 640x480@72Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 640x480@75Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 800x600@56Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 800x600@60Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 800x600@72Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 800x600@75Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 832x624@75Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 1024x768@60Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 1024x768@70Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 1024x768@75Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 1280x1024@75Hz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Supported standard timings:
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): #0: hsize: 1280  vsize 1024  refresh: 60  vid: 32897
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): #1: hsize: 1152  vsize 864  refresh: 75  vid: 20337
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Supported detailed timing:
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): clock: 108.0 MHz   Image Size:  338 x 270 mm
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): h_active: 1280  h_sync: 1328  h_sync_end 1440 h_blank_end 1688 h_border: 0
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): v_active: 1024  v_sync: 1025  v_sync_end 1028 v_blanking: 1066 v_border: 0
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Ranges: V min: 56 V max: 76 Hz, H min: 30 H max: 82 kHz, PixClock max 145 MHz
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Monitor name: CMC 19" AD
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Serial No: 0
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): EDID (in hex):
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 	00ffffffffffff000daf980101010101
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 	310e010368261e782f40b5a259499724
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 	125054bfef008180714f010101010101
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 	010101010101302a009851002a403070
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 	1300520e1100001e000000fd00384c1e
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 	520e000a202020202020000000fc0043
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 	4d43203139222041440a2020000000ff
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): 	00300a20202020202020202020200037
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Printing probed modes for output VGA1
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x60.0  108.00  1280 1328 1440 1688  1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (64.0 kHz eP)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x75.0  135.00  1280 1296 1440 1688  1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (80.0 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1280x960"x60.0  108.00  1280 1376 1488 1800  960 961 964 1000 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1280x800"x74.9  106.50  1280 1360 1488 1696  800 803 809 838 -hsync +vsync (62.8 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1280x800"x59.8   83.50  1280 1352 1480 1680  800 803 809 831 +hsync -vsync (49.7 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1152x864"x75.0  108.00  1152 1216 1344 1600  864 865 868 900 +hsync +vsync (67.5 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1280x768"x74.9  102.25  1280 1360 1488 1696  768 771 778 805 +hsync -vsync (60.3 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1280x768"x59.9   79.50  1280 1344 1472 1664  768 771 778 798 -hsync +vsync (47.8 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x75.1   78.80  1024 1040 1136 1312  768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.1 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x70.1   75.00  1024 1048 1184 1328  768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (56.5 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x60.0   65.00  1024 1048 1184 1344  768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x576"x60.0   46.97  1024 1064 1168 1312  576 577 580 597 -hsync +vsync (35.8 kHz)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "832x624"x74.6   57.28  832 864 928 1152  624 625 628 667 -hsync -vsync (49.7 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x72.2   50.00  800 856 976 1040  600 637 643 666 +hsync +vsync (48.1 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x75.0   49.50  800 816 896 1056  600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x60.3   40.00  800 840 968 1056  600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x56.2   36.00  800 824 896 1024  600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync (35.2 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "848x480"x60.0   33.75  848 864 976 1088  480 486 494 517 +hsync +vsync (31.0 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x72.8   31.50  640 664 704 832  480 489 491 520 -hsync -vsync (37.9 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x75.0   31.50  640 656 720 840  480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x66.7   30.24  640 704 768 864  480 483 486 525 -hsync -vsync (35.0 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x60.0   25.20  640 656 752 800  480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Modeline "720x400"x70.1   28.32  720 738 846 900  400 412 414 449 -hsync +vsync (31.5 kHz e)
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Output LVDS1 connected
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Output VGA1 connected
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Using fuzzy aspect match for initial modes
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Output LVDS1 using initial mode 1024x768
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Output VGA1 using initial mode 1024x768
                  [    25.720] (II) intel(0): Using default gamma of (1.0, 1.0, 1.0) unless otherwise stated.
                  [    25.720] (==) intel(0): DPI set to (96, 96)
                  [    25.720] (II) Loading sub module "dri2"
                  [    25.720] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
                  [    25.720] (II) Module "dri2" already built-in
                  [    25.720] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
                  [    25.720] (II) Unloading vesa
                  [    25.720] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
                  [    25.720] (II) Unloading modesetting
                  [    25.720] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
                  [    25.720] (II) Unloading fbdev
                  [    25.720] (II) UnloadSubModule: "fbdevhw"
                  [    25.720] (II) Unloading fbdevhw
                  [    25.720] (==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
                  [    25.779] (II) intel(0): SNA initialized with IvyBridge backend
                  [    25.779] (==) intel(0): Backing store disabled
                  [    25.779] (==) intel(0): Silken mouse enabled
                  [    25.779] (II) intel(0): HW Cursor enabled
                  [    25.779] (II) intel(0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled message.
                  [    25.779] (==) intel(0): DPMS enabled
                  [    25.780] (II) intel(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
                  [    25.780] (II) intel(0): [DRI2]   DRI driver: i965
                  [    25.780] (II) intel(0): direct rendering: DRI2 Enabled
                  [    25.780] (==) intel(0): hotplug detection: "enabled"
                  [    25.780] (--) RandR disabled
                  [    25.792] (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
                  [    25.792] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1024x768 on crtc 3 (pipe 0)
                  [    26.116] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1024x768 on crtc 5 (pipe 1)
                  [    26.287] (II) intel(0): Setting screen physical size to 270 x 203
                  [    26.354] (II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-B20D7FC79C7F597315E3E501AEF10E0D866E8E92.xkm
                  [    26.371] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event2)
                  [    26.371] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
                  [    26.371] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
                  [    26.379] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
                  [    26.399] (II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                  [    26.399] 	compiled for 1.13.0, module version = 2.7.3
                  [    26.399] 	Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
                  [    26.399] 	ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 18.0
                  [    26.399] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
                  [    26.399] (**) Power Button: always reports core events
                  [    26.399] (**) evdev: Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
                  [    26.399] (--) evdev: Power Button: Vendor 0 Product 0x1
                  [    26.399] (--) evdev: Power Button: Found keys
                  [    26.399] (II) evdev: Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
                  [    26.399] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input2/event2"
                  [    26.399] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD, id 6)
                  [    26.399] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
                  [    26.399] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
                  [    26.399] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
                  [    26.399] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Video Bus (/dev/input/event5)
                  [    26.400] (**) Video Bus: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
                  [    26.400] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
                  [    26.400] (**) Video Bus: always reports core events
                  [    26.400] (**) evdev: Video Bus: Device: "/dev/input/event5"
                  [    26.400] (--) evdev: Video Bus: Vendor 0 Product 0x6
                  [    26.400] (--) evdev: Video Bus: Found keys
                  [    26.400] (II) evdev: Video Bus: Configuring as keyboard
                  [    26.400] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:01/input/input5/event5"
                  [    26.400] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Video Bus" (type: KEYBOARD, id 7)
                  [    26.400] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
                  [    26.400] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
                  [    26.400] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
                  [    26.400] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Video Bus (/dev/input/event4)
                  [    26.400] (**) Video Bus: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
                  [    26.400] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
                  [    26.400] (**) Video Bus: always reports core events
                  [    26.400] (**) evdev: Video Bus: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
                  [    26.400] (--) evdev: Video Bus: Vendor 0 Product 0x6
                  [    26.400] (--) evdev: Video Bus: Found keys
                  [    26.400] (II) evdev: Video Bus: Configuring as keyboard
                  [    26.400] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/device:03/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input4/event4"
                  [    26.400] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Video Bus" (type: KEYBOARD, id 8)
                  [    26.400] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
                  [    26.400] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
                  [    26.400] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
                  [    26.400] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Lid Switch (/dev/input/event0)
                  [    26.400] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
                  [    26.400] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
                  [    26.400] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Sleep Button (/dev/input/event1)
                  [    26.400] (**) Sleep Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
                  [    26.400] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Sleep Button'
                  [    26.400] (**) Sleep Button: always reports core events
                  [    26.401] (**) evdev: Sleep Button: Device: "/dev/input/event1"
                  [    26.401] (--) evdev: Sleep Button: Vendor 0 Product 0x3
                  [    26.401] (--) evdev: Sleep Button: Found keys
                  [    26.401] (II) evdev: Sleep Button: Configuring as keyboard
                  [    26.401] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0E:00/input/input1/event1"
                  [    26.401] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Sleep Button" (type: KEYBOARD, id 9)
                  [    26.401] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
                  [    26.401] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
                  [    26.401] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
                  [    26.401] (II) config/udev: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
                  [    26.401] (II) config/udev: Adding input device IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver (/dev/input/event12)
                  [    26.401] (**) IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
                  [    26.401] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver'
                  [    26.401] (**) IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver: always reports core events
                  [    26.401] (**) evdev: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver: Device: "/dev/input/event12"
                  [    26.401] (--) evdev: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver: Vendor 0xb05 Product 0x171f
                  [    26.401] (--) evdev: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver: Found keys
                  [    26.401] (II) evdev: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver: Configuring as keyboard
                  [    26.401] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-2/rc/rc0/input12/event12"
                  [    26.401] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver" (type: KEYBOARD, id 10)
                  [    26.401] (II) config/udev: Adding input device UVC Camera (046d:09a6) (/dev/input/event8)
                  [    26.401] (**) UVC Camera (046d:09a6): Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
                  [    26.401] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'UVC Camera (046d:09a6)'
                  [    26.401] (**) UVC Camera (046d:09a6): always reports core events
                  [    26.401] (**) evdev: UVC Camera (046d:09a6): Device: "/dev/input/event8"
                  [    26.401] (--) evdev: UVC Camera (046d:09a6): Vendor 0x46d Product 0x9a6
                  [    26.401] (--) evdev: UVC Camera (046d:09a6): Found keys
                  [    26.401] (II) evdev: UVC Camera (046d:09a6): Configuring as keyboard
                  [    26.401] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-3/3-3:1.0/input/input8/event8"
                  [    26.401] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "UVC Camera (046d:09a6)" (type: KEYBOARD, id 11)
                  [    26.402] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB Receiver (/dev/input/event6)
                  [    26.402] (**) Logitech USB Receiver: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
                  [    26.402] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Logitech USB Receiver'
                  [    26.402] (**) Logitech USB Receiver: always reports core events
                  [    26.402] (**) evdev: Logitech USB Receiver: Device: "/dev/input/event6"
                  [    26.402] (--) evdev: Logitech USB Receiver: Vendor 0x46d Product 0xc51b
                  [    26.402] (--) evdev: Logitech USB Receiver: Found 12 mouse buttons
                  [    26.402] (--) evdev: Logitech USB Receiver: Found scroll wheel(s)
                  [    26.402] (--) evdev: Logitech USB Receiver: Found relative axes
                  [    26.402] (--) evdev: Logitech USB Receiver: Found x and y relative axes
                  [    26.402] (II) evdev: Logitech USB Receiver: Configuring as mouse
                  [    26.402] (II) evdev: Logitech USB Receiver: Adding scrollwheel support
                  [    26.402] (**) evdev: Logitech USB Receiver: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
                  [    26.402] (**) evdev: Logitech USB Receiver: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
                  [    26.402] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-4/3-4:1.0/input/input6/event6"
                  [    26.402] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Logitech USB Receiver" (type: MOUSE, id 12)
                  [    26.402] (II) evdev: Logitech USB Receiver: initialized for relative axes.
                  [    26.402] (**) Logitech USB Receiver: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
                  [    26.402] (**) Logitech USB Receiver: (accel) acceleration profile 0
                  [    26.402] (**) Logitech USB Receiver: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
                  [    26.402] (**) Logitech USB Receiver: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
                  [    26.402] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB Receiver (/dev/input/mouse0)
                  [    26.402] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
                  [    26.402] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
                  [    26.402] (II) config/udev: Adding input device ASUS USB2.0 Webcam (/dev/input/event9)
                  [    26.402] (**) ASUS USB2.0 Webcam: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
                  [    26.402] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'ASUS USB2.0 Webcam'
                  [    26.402] (**) ASUS USB2.0 Webcam: always reports core events
                  [    26.402] (**) evdev: ASUS USB2.0 Webcam: Device: "/dev/input/event9"
                  [    26.402] (--) evdev: ASUS USB2.0 Webcam: Vendor 0x1bcf Product 0x2883
                  [    26.402] (--) evdev: ASUS USB2.0 Webcam: Found keys
                  [    26.402] (II) evdev: ASUS USB2.0 Webcam: Configuring as keyboard
                  [    26.402] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3:1.0/input/input9/event9"
                  [    26.402] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ASUS USB2.0 Webcam" (type: KEYBOARD, id 13)
                  [    26.402] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
                  [    26.402] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
                  [    26.402] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
                  [    26.403] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA Intel PCH Mic (/dev/input/event10)
                  [    26.403] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
                  [    26.403] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
                  [    26.403] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA Intel PCH Headphone (/dev/input/event11)
                  [    26.403] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
                  [    26.403] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
                  [    26.403] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Asus WMI hotkeys (/dev/input/event7)
                  [    26.403] (**) Asus WMI hotkeys: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
                  [    26.403] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Asus WMI hotkeys'
                  [    26.403] (**) Asus WMI hotkeys: always reports core events
                  [    26.403] (**) evdev: Asus WMI hotkeys: Device: "/dev/input/event7"
                  [    26.403] (--) evdev: Asus WMI hotkeys: Vendor 0 Product 0
                  [    26.403] (--) evdev: Asus WMI hotkeys: Found keys
                  [    26.403] (II) evdev: Asus WMI hotkeys: Configuring as keyboard
                  [    26.403] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/asus-nb-wmi/input/input7/event7"
                  [    26.403] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Asus WMI hotkeys" (type: KEYBOARD, id 14)
                  [    26.403] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
                  [    26.403] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
                  [    26.403] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
                  [    26.403] (II) config/udev: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard (/dev/input/event3)
                  [    26.403] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
                  [    26.403] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
                  [    26.403] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
                  [    26.403] (**) evdev: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
                  [    26.403] (--) evdev: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Vendor 0x1 Product 0x1
                  [    26.403] (--) evdev: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Found keys
                  [    26.403] (II) evdev: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
                  [    26.403] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input3/event3"
                  [    26.403] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD, id 15)
                  [    26.403] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
                  [    26.403] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
                  [    26.403] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
                  [    41.578] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "AUO", prod id 9452
                  [    41.578] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
                  [    41.578] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1366x768"x0.0   70.20  1366 1382 1398 1484  768 771 785 788 -hsync -vsync (47.3 kHz eP)
                  [    41.729] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1024x768 on crtc 3 (pipe 0)
                  [    41.744] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1024x768 on crtc 5 (pipe 1)
                  [    41.752] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1366x768 on crtc 3 (pipe 0)
                  [    42.041] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "AUO", prod id 9452
                  [    42.041] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
                  [    42.041] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1366x768"x0.0   70.20  1366 1382 1398 1484  768 771 785 788 -hsync -vsync (47.3 kHz eP)
                  [    42.193] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1366x768 on crtc 3 (pipe 0)
                  [    42.228] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1024x768 on crtc 5 (pipe 1)
                  [    42.236] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1280x1024 on crtc 5 (pipe 1)
                  [    42.516] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "AUO", prod id 9452
                  [    42.517] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
                  [    42.517] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1366x768"x0.0   70.20  1366 1382 1398 1484  768 771 785 788 -hsync -vsync (47.3 kHz eP)
                  [    44.793] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "AUO", prod id 9452
                  [    44.793] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
                  [    44.793] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1366x768"x0.0   70.20  1366 1382 1398 1484  768 771 785 788 -hsync -vsync (47.3 kHz eP)
                  [    64.708] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "AUO", prod id 9452
                  [    64.708] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
                  [    64.708] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1366x768"x0.0   70.20  1366 1382 1398 1484  768 771 785 788 -hsync -vsync (47.3 kHz eP)
                  [    74.818] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "AUO", prod id 9452
                  [    74.818] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
                  [    74.818] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1366x768"x0.0   70.20  1366 1382 1398 1484  768 771 785 788 -hsync -vsync (47.3 kHz eP)
                  [   378.580] (II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-8C3648A5FD728529D869F46730BE1BC287DB231C.xkm
                  [   378.589] (II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-8C3648A5FD728529D869F46730BE1BC287DB231C.xkm
                  Also, does your computer's firmware (BIOS or UEFI) allow you to switch graphics to "discrete only" mode or something similarly worded?
                  Sorry to say that after searching thourgh all the menus, the BIOS has no graphic options. Currently my system cannot support 3D (eg Google Earth) and OpenGL screen savers which indicates that the nvidia card is not setup correctly.

Comment

What's stumping me a bit is that X is skipping both the proprietary nVidia driver and the open-source Nouveau driver. On my ThinkPad, if I leave Optimus enabled but don't use Bumblebee, then X will load the Intel driver and the open-source Nouveau driver. If I disable Optimus and choose "discrete," then I can run either the nVidia blob or Nouveau. And to make you hate me even more, I can say that it "just works" without even running nvidia-settings. I can boot the laptop by itself, or in my dock at home that's connected to one digital monitor via DVI, or in my other dock at work that's connected to two digital monitors via HDMI, and always obtain the results you'd expect. I have no xorg.conf; auto-detection works flawlessly.

I wonder if through some blacklist-fu you can make X ignore the Intel driver and thus load the nVidia driver. Not sure. What's the output of
                    Code:
                    sudo updatedb && locate nvidia_drv

Comment

. . . And to make you hate me even more, I can say that it "just works" without even running nvidia-settings.
                      I can re-assure you that there is not an ounce of hate in me towards you or anyone else on this very friendly forum. In fact I have a VERY HIGH REGARD for your capability, knowledge and support for Kubuntu.

When I run the command you suggest, I get
                      Code:
                      :~$ sudo updatedb && locate nvidia_drv
                      /etc/alternatives/x86_64-linux-gnu_nvidia_drv
                      /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg/nvidia_drv.so
                      /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
                      I decided to install Bumblebee by following the procedures from here and when I repeat the above command I get
                      Code:
                      :~$ sudo updatedb && locate nvidia_drv 
                      /home/aurora/nvidia_drv.txt
                      /home/aurora/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/nvidia_drv.txt.desktop
                      /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg/nvidia_drv.so
                      I had no difficulty installing Bumblebee and to the best of my knowledge it is working great as all applications that require 3D now work. The output I get from a test using optirun gives:
                      Code:
                      :~$ optirun glxspheres
                      Polygons in scene: 62464
                      Visual ID of window: 0x20
                      Context is Direct
                      OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GT 630M/PCIe/SSE2
                      125.068435 frames/sec - 108.869571 Mpixels/sec
                      132.895773 frames/sec - 115.683112 Mpixels/sec
                      131.910336 frames/sec - 114.825310 Mpixels/sec
                      133.339188 frames/sec - 116.069096 Mpixels/sec
                      130.977969 frames/sec - 114.013702 Mpixels/sec
                      132.194421 frames/sec - 115.072600 Mpixels/sec
                      133.227862 frames/sec - 115.972189 Mpixels/sec
                      132.356309 frames/sec - 115.213520 Mpixels/sec
                      133.372297 frames/sec - 116.097918 Mpixels/sec
                      133.241082 frames/sec - 115.983697 Mpixels/sec
                      134.183345 frames/sec - 116.803918 Mpixels/sec
                      137.074329 frames/sec - 119.320462 Mpixels/sec
                      133.483912 frames/sec - 116.195076 Mpixels/sec
                      So it looks like that for systems with dual graphic cards and no option in the BIOS to select a particular card, Bumblebee is the current solution. The only caveat is that optirun is required to use the nvidia card. I will be very interested to see what happens when I install Kubuntu 13.04 on this Laptop. I will not do this until LibreOffice 4.0 has multimedia support.

Thanks for your help and advice and I can now say that all is well.

Comment

A very interesting experience, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                          I can re-assure you that there is not an ounce of hate in me towards you or anyone else on this very friendly forum. In fact I have a VERY HIGH REGARD for your capability, knowledge and support for Kubuntu .
                          Aww, *blush*

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                          I had no difficulty installing Bumblebee and to the best of my knowledge it is working great as all applications that require 3D now work.... So it looks like that for systems with dual graphic cards and no option in the BIOS to select a particular card, Bumblebee is the current solution. The only caveat is that optirun is required to use the nvidia card.... Thanks for your help and advice and I can now say that all is well.
                          Glad that it's working for you, and that your Bumblebee went smoothly. It could very well be that the nVidia blob simply can't run on its own when the computer won't allow you to disable the Intel graphics. Curiously, it would refuse to run on my T520 even in discrete mode until version 304-something-something, then it just magically started working. I'm glad to be rid of Nouveau; while I admire the effort those folks are putting into the thing, it's still quite fragile. I could crash X just by wiggling a window too quickly.

Comment

Working...
                          X