This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using Kubuntu Plasma Netbook Interface

Thinking of running the Plasma Netbook Interface on a Lenovo Edge e125 netbook. (AMD Dual-Core Processor E-450 (1.65GHz),AMD Radeon HD 6320, 4GB Ram). Can anyone comment on their performance running the Plasma Netbook interface?

I've run it before. I don't think its really any less resource heave except for the fact that you aren't as inclined to use tons of plasmoids. ALthough you can if you want.

I find its very confusing at first but after a while you begin to understand the basic design philosophies. Its very good at maximising screen real estate and supports a fairly efficent workflow (once you get the hang of it). You really need to set-up a good shortcut for the search and launch widget (I recommend Alt+Space or Meta+Space.) Also customize it because it has serious power.

I wouldn't recommend using desktop effects like the cube, grid or display all windows because they don't fit in with the design philosphies. With a netbook I really don't think that would be a concern though. Multiple desktops are not something I've used much with it because netbooks aren't really designed for super heavy multi-tasking so that shouldn't be a concern.

Personally I think its probably the best standard desktop design for netbooks but it needs some customization and practice. I've always just used the standard desktop design with some heavy customizations.

Its very task orientated and focuses on one thing at a time (i.e. word processing with web browser) or email or media watching. Its not good at doing all those things simultaneously although activities make that less of a chore but multiple desktops just doesn't work for me with it.

You really just have to try it for yourself and don't stress about resources. Just tune a few effects down and you'll be good to go. Just give it a chance by learning to use it properly before thinking its awful.

P.S. Look at getting plasma media centre to go with that, it's quite nice and would work quite well with a netbook.

Comment

I've run it before. I don't think its really any less resource heave except for the fact that you aren't as inclined to use tons of plasmoids. ALthough you can if you want.

I find its very confusing at first but after a while you begin to understand the basic design philosophies. Its very good at maximising screen real estate and supports a fairly efficent workflow (once you get the hang of it). You really need to set-up a good shortcut for the search and launch widget (I recommend Alt+Space or Meta+Space.) Also customize it because it has serious power.

I wouldn't recommend using desktop effects like the cube, grid or display all windows because they don't fit in with the design philosphies. With a netbook I really don't think that would be a concern though. Multiple desktops are not something I've used much with it because netbooks aren't really designed for super heavy multi-tasking so that shouldn't be a concern.

Personally I think its probably the best standard desktop design for netbooks but it needs some customization and practice. I've always just used the standard desktop design with some heavy customizations.

Its very task orientated and focuses on one thing at a time (i.e. word processing with web browser) or email or media watching. Its not good at doing all those things simultaneously although activities make that less of a chore but multiple desktops just doesn't work for me with it.

You really just have to try it for yourself and don't stress about resources. Just tune a few effects down and you'll be good to go. Just give it a chance by learning to use it properly before thinking its awful.

P.S. Look at getting plasma media centre to go with that, it's quite nice and would work quite well with a netbook.

Comment

If you're already running KDE desktop you can easily switch to the netbook interface to try it out. Just go to System Settings > Workspace Behaviour > Workspace and change the Workspace Type to "Netbook". It's a really nice interface though I'm not sure about how much resources it uses.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post

Thanks..just what I was looking for!

Comment

Working...
          X