Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated to 12.10, mounting from another computer with samba/smbfs no longer working

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated to 12.10, mounting from another computer with samba/smbfs no longer working

I work at a law firm, and we have two work stations in two different rooms. We have the client files/documents we work on on a computer in the back office. I work in the front office. With Kubuntu 12.04, I was able to mount the file system from the back office, so that I could work on them directly from the front.

In order to do so, I used this command (full disclosure, we had outside computer guru help to set this up):

sudo mount -t smbfs //(ip)/public /media/hotrod3 -o username=guest,password=guest,uid=frontoffice,gid= frontoffice
    Where (ip) is the IP address for the computer with the files to be mounted. hotrod3 is the nickname for the back office computer, so when it would mount, it would mount in the hotrod3 folder on my front office machine.

However, since upgrading to 12.10, whenever I try this command, I get the error message

mount: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'
    I did some googling, and apparenly the smbfs package was deleted from the Canonical servers.

Anyone have any ideas as how to get a similar workaround going?

I am not sure of the correct commands to use (probably the same but calling cifs?), but smbfs is replaced by cifs-utils.

Comment

fillmont, you want to be using cifs, as claydoh says, not smbfs. Assuming you want to mount a Windows share, you'd enter a command like this into Konsole:

Code:
      sudo mount -t cifs //windowslocation /media/hotrod3 -o uid=frontoffice,username=yourusername,password="yourpassword;",workgroup=nameofwindowsworkgroup
      Recommend using quotes around the password. As you can see the syntax is similar to what you were using. You're calling cifs though.

cifs is your friend. From the Samba website:

The in-kernel CIFS filesystem is generally the preferred method for mounting SMB/CIFS shares on Linux.

The in-kernel CIFS filesystem relies on a set of user-space tools. That package of tools is called cifs-utils. Although not really part of Samba proper, these tools were originally part of the Samba package. For several reasons, shipping these tools as part of Samba was problematic and it was deemed better to split them off into their own package.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        I am not sure of the correct commands to use (probably the same but calling cifs?), but smbfs is replaced by cifs-utils.
        Originally posted by seascape View Post
        fillmont, you want to be using cifs, as claydoh says, not smbfs. Assuming you want to mount a Windows share, you'd enter a command like this into Konsole:

Code:
        sudo mount -t cifs //windowslocation /media/hotrod3 -o uid=frontoffice,username=yourusername,password="yourpassword;",workgroup=nameofwindowsworkgroup
        Recommend using quotes around the password. As you can see the syntax is similar to what you were using. You're calling cifs though.

cifs is your friend. From the Samba website:
        Thank you both! seascape, the new command you provided works like a charm. I had tried to troubleshoot this myself, but seeing as how I'm not the one who set this up, I was just a bit out of my depth. But things are working again, so thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X