X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia problems - no sli, boots to blank screen

Two problems have appeared:

1. On bootup, the system goes to a blank/black screen (not actually black, very dark grey). If i hit CTRL-ALT-F1, then CTRL-ALT-F7, I get the kdm greeter (yes I am using kdm) which then works as expected. This problem just appeared within the last 2 days (today is Sunday Oct 14th) after doing daily dist-upgrades, up until then has been working as expected.

2. I have 2 identical (9800 GT) cards in SLI configuration, with appropriate entries in xorg.conf to make it work. I just noticed, upon starting nvidia-settings, that card GPU1 is not being detected; I get only the entry for GPU0. I found an old copy of Lucid and booted it, and it works correctly -- both cards there -- so it's not hardware failure. lspci shows both cards present. glxgears rate is abysmal. I tried booting precise, but unfortunately I had run a dist-upgrade on it yesterday, so it's the same video driver, and the same problem. I tried uninstalling and installing an older version of the NVIDIA driver from the website, but it complains about ABI and won't start, so I can't test that idea. I do not know how long this problem has been present.

I suspect these may be related video driver problems. Anyone else having similar issues?

$ apt-cache policy nvidia-current
    nvidia-current:
    Installed: 304.51.really.304.43-0ubuntu1

Edit: Installing the most recent version of the NVIDIA driver from their website (304.51) has the same problem - no sli. The downloaded driver DOES fix the bootup screen problem. Anyone else with a similar setup to verify that there's a problem? Thanks.
    Last edited by doctordruidphd; Oct 14, 2012, 10:36 AM.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

I just did a fresh (re)-install of Kubuntu 12.10 and I'm experiencing the same thing.

1) system boots to a black screen, but you can tell that things are running
    2) if I type my password in anyway, I see the actual Kubuntu boot sequence, and then get a login
    3) I haven't tried the Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-alt-F7 sequence, but I'll do that.

System:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
    32Gb RAM
    2 graphics cards: GT218 [GeForce 210], Nvidia
    driving 4 monitors

sudo apt-cache policy nvidia-current
    nvidia-current:
    Installed: 295.40-0ubuntu1.1
    Candidate: 295.40-0ubuntu1.1
    Version table:
    *** 295.40-0ubuntu1.1 0
    500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/restricted amd64 Packages
    500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-security/restricted amd64 Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    295.40-0ubuntu1 0
    500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/restricted amd64 Packages

NOTE: Previously this didn't happen, but I had originally installed ubuntu and then added the KDE later. This time I installed Kubuntu fresh.

Comment

2) if I type my password in anyway, I see the actual Kubuntu boot sequence, and then get a login
      That's interesting. I tried it, and it didn't work.

Do you have your graphics cards set up for SLI, and are they both being detected? ( take a look at nvidia-settings) You are using an older version of the driver, but still it might be worth checking.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Update on 15 Oct : Today's dist-upgrade, which included, among other things, updates to grub, ureadahead and upstart, seems to have fixed the problem of booting into a blank screen. The problem of no SLI seems to be more related to the video driver itself.

Comment

I've been having problems too, every since about a week ago when an update updated my driver to Nvidia 304.51.

Comment

Beginning to look like the SLI problem is hardware related. Will know for sure when the replacement cards get here. The boot-to-bsod problem seems to have been fixed here by recent updates.

Comment

Working...
            X