This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firefox has no integration with apps on the downloader

Something that needs work done is the download box for firefox that seems to have no idea what apps are for what.

Anything you download you double click, open with opens with nothing populated in it, leading you to have to manually find the bins for each app you want to use.

Anyone else find this annoying? It seems to have no idea about default apps in kde?

Yes firefox does not care one bit about KDE. The fast pace of Firefox updates has made Ubuntu decide to stop developing the modifications that allowed for this integration as it would often be broken. If you search the forum for firefox kde integration, you will find plenty of infos on this, including a third party build of firefox that fixes this.

Comment

Does chrome suffer the same issues?

Comment

no, chrome/chromium is rather agnostic. Firefox has always needed something to define the default applications, and usually I think it has been the distro that defines this - and as FF is rather gtk-centric, and our FF package is from Ubuntu, well you can see why. Chrome/chromium use the desktop standards for determining what to use, while Mozilla's browser does not.

Comment

https://launchpad.net/~blue-shell/+archive/firefox-kde
          Follow the directions and you will have a pretty nicely integrated firefox, but I find it helps to apply themes(not personas) to help blur the UI parts that will not take on your KDE theme.
          CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
          Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
          Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
          Graphics Card: MSI R7770
          Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
          Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
          PSU: Corsair 520HX
          Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
          Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
          Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

I quit using firefox for this very reason, tried rekonq and really like it but it's not quite there yet. now using google chrome. it integrates very well with kde without having to 'work' on it first.

Comment

With firefox-kde all you need is a theme. Personally I don't find a theme to be work as I like everything to be themed anyways and prefer the firefox theme over just inheriting the KDE theme.
              CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
              Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
              Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
              Graphics Card: MSI R7770
              Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
              Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
              PSU: Corsair 520HX
              Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
              Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
              Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Switched to chrome

Comment

I use this theme with firefox. Windows version. you will need checkcompatabilty addon to use.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/foxdie/

I think chrome looks like **** on linux.
                  Last edited by pauly; Oct 15, 2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Oxygen KDE for Firefox.

http://oxygenkde.altervista.org/

Comment

Ah, blue-shell has released Firefox version 16.0.1.

And Rekonq is finally able to display my newspaper without crashing.
                      Now it still needs some fixes so content stays within the frames.

Comment

Is 12.10 shipping with the blue shell Firefox or will people still have to manually choose it themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by wrender View Post
                          Is 12.10 shipping with the blue shell Firefox or will people still have to manually choose it themselves?
                          It has to be done via a ppa repository as there is already a firefox package in the standard Ubuntu repositories, which Kubuntu uses. These integration bits are more than just additions or addons to the browser, they require a recompilation of the source code.

Comment

I don't understand. Ubuntu ships with many things that Kubuntu does not. How is this any different? Kubuntu developers package the release to point at what ever software they choose don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by wrender View Post
                              I don't understand. Ubuntu ships with many things that Kubuntu does not. How is this any different? Kubuntu developers package the release to point at what ever software they choose don't they?
                              When you say "ships", do you mean on the install disk images that you can download?

If so, then I don't think any version of Firefox is included, as I believe that KDE's default web browser Rekonq is the browser package included in the disk images.
                              sigpic
                              "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X