Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome and Chromium problem in 12.10 (work in Unity)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome and Chromium problem in 12.10 (work in Unity)

The problem: in Chrome and Chromium in Kubuntu 12.10 both applications open, but if I try to open a second tab the tab hangs. When I have logged into Gmail in a single tab it will open Google+ but not Reader. Instead it opens a Download dialog and saved a file to my downloads folder. The same thing happens if type a url. It saves a file to the Downloads folder called url. When I do a search it saves a file called search.

I have deleted the cache and the settings. Several times. I have re-installed. Several times. I have downloaded a fresh copy of Chrome from Google. Nothing helps.

The solution: Everything works properly in Kubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 12.10 with Unity.

It looks like a problem with Kubuntu 12.10.

You may have tried this already, but often when a browser misbehaves it's caused by add-ons or extensions. Changing/removing the settings and re-installing doesn't clear the problem because the browser just re-loads the extensions it finds in the default folder. If you have any extensions, try turning them all off and restarting Chromium. If the problem goes away, you can restart the extensions one at a time until you find the one that's causing the problem. If you need that extension, see if there's an update for it.

Why it's only appearing with Kubuntu 12.10 and not the others may have to do with changes in things like global keybindings or some other default that's different between 12.04 and 12.10. That I have no knowledge of, but I know there were quite a few changes between 4.8.+ and 4.9.+.
    Computers don't make mistakes. They only execute them.

Comment

Working...
    X