This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin Rename leads to 100% CPU until exit

I experienced this problem on 12.04 and now on 12.10 with the latest KDE 4.9.2. The main culprits seem to be kio-file, virtuoso-t and dolphin. The attachments illustrate what is going on. This problem occurs when I rename files using F2. The load only drops when I exit Dolphin. This is illustrated by the drop in processing load in the time-line.

Has anyone else experience this problem or does anyone know how to fix this problem?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NoWorries; Oct 06, 2012, 09:23 PM.

What are you renaming ?
    Is the Nepomuk indexing your folder ?

At here

The Nepomuk is not looking/indexing this folder.
    When renaming a text file the Dolphin (preview on) and the kio-thumbnail are both using about 10 CPU%.
    When renaming a text file the Dolphin (preview off) and the kio-thumbnail are both using less than 1 CPU%.

A guess: The kio-thumbnail seems to stuck in an infinite loop - a workaround is to turn the preview off.
    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Originally posted by OneLine View Post
      What are you renaming ?
      Is the Nepomuk indexing your folder ?
      I am renaming photos which involves changing numbers, and adding descriptions. Nepomuk is not indexing and is not even listed in the top CPU list.

Originally posted by OneLine View Post
      At here

The Nepomuk is not looking/indexing this folder.
      When renaming a text file the Dolphin (preview on) and the kio-thumbnail are both using about 10 CPU%.
      When renaming a text file the Dolphin (preview off) and the kio-thumbnail are both using less than 1 CPU%.

A guess: The kio-thumbnail seems to stuck in an infinite loop - a workaround is to turn the preview off.
      I have Dolphin in Details View Mode for all directories and always operate in this mode.

I sometimes wonder if operating with dual screens causes potential problems. I have an old computer (single screen) which has an AMD 386 processor and it does not have this problem. I was using this computer to test 12.10 before I took the leap to put it on my ASUS F3Jr Laptop which is my "main" computer. In this changeover, I also replaced the hard disk with a 256GB SSD.

Comment

Maybe ?

Picture files at here (2)

Dolphin preview on, rename with the inline (1).

The CPU usage is a bit higher (15-20 %)

Dolphin preview on, rename with the dialog window (1).

The CPU usage is normal.

(1) Inline or dialog window

The new Dolphin maintainer: http://freininghaus.wordpress.com/
        -> http://freininghaus.wordpress.com/20...-in-kde-4-9-2/
        Bug 304627: Make it possible to rename items using a dialog. In KDE 4.9.0 and 4.9.1, “Inline Renaming” was the only way to rename files. The dialog can be re-enabled by adding “RenameInline=false” to the [General] section of $KDEHOME/share/config/dolphinrc. An option in the settings dialog will be added later (not possible during the KDE 4.9.x cycle because of the string freeze). See git commit 7ca682fe.

(2) At here (lshw):
        description: CPU
        product: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor
        Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
        - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Partially Fixed

Thanks for the advice:
          The dialog can be re-enabled by adding “RenameInline=false” to the [General] section of $KDEHOME/share/config/dolphinrc.
          After doing this, I found the CPU load reduced from 100% to about 60% and stayed at that level. The processes using the CPU are shown in the attachment. One difference that I noted was that when I switched to another directory, the CPU dropped back to normal!
          Attached Files

Comment

Inline Rename Removed

I have just noticed that renaming files has now reverted back to the previous method which brings up a separate window to do the rename. Now the CPU load does not increase.

Thanks for solving the problem and I look forward to seeing inline renaming in the future as it is quite a nice feather to have..

Comment

Working...
            X