X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon updater borked install

Hi
    There was a massive update, it looked as if it was every app in the OS and the system itself, on this date.

I allowed Muon updater to do it and the 40/12 gig HD which was the object of discussion in another thread, after a restart, then displayed the login screen and when I logged in that was it. The splash screen for the login screen was there and the mouse moved but absolutely nothing happened.

So, I formatted that one and tried another hard drive thinking maybe it was the drive.

I did another 40 gig, which had a 40 gig install.

I added absolutely nothing to the install just did the update.

Again, after a restart, I got the login screen but after I logged in got only the background and the mouse, nothing worked.

So, if anyone has comments, this may be the same problem with earlier releases and the Muon updater, I imagine that folks would appreciate reading them.

I'm going to install again and try sudo apt-get update or maybe use synaptic.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

I put no blame on Muon, especially given that it's being used on an 'alpha' stage release. As the caveat goes, "Breakage is to be expected."
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thanks for the reply snowhog, I agree no "blame" because breakage is expected.

I tried sudo apt-get update with no results.

I tried sudo apt-get upgrade and got an upgrade that included a lot of things, so I assume the same as Muon presented.

It did work.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I won't say that Muon is "perfect", as I don't believe any GUI Package Manager is, and, I don't use it (or any other GUI Package Manager) to perform actual package management. I am purely a CLI guy in that respect, using sudo apt-get. I have never been let down using it.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In the alpha stages, I always recommend using apt for updating (dist-upgrade) as it clearly tells you if something is missing, or if an improperly configured or not-yet built package will cause something to be uninstalled that might be important.

Posting the output of sudo apt-get dist-upgrade can allow advice to be given if one is not sure before allowing the update to proceed.

dist-upgrade is used instead of regular upgrade as the latter only will update existing packages on your system. Dist-upgrade will do that as well as install any required new packages.

You can use muon , the package manager to update as well, it allows one to see what is going to be added/removed from there like synaptic.
          Last edited by claydoh; Aug 27, 2012, 12:33 AM.

Comment

sudo apt-get upgrade worked fine.

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              sudo apt-get upgrade worked fine.

woodsmoke
              That will work fine, but you will not get any new kernel or any new software an updated package may need.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                thanks for the reply snowhog, I agree no "blame" because breakage is expected.

I tried sudo apt-get update with no results.

I tried sudo apt-get upgrade and got an upgrade that included a lot of things, so I assume the same as Muon presented.

It did work.

woodsmoke
                Sounds like you ended up upgrading to 12.04.01 and something didn't install or wasn't ready/got held back. It could have been Muon or more likely, the repository you were pulling from hadn't fully synch (a lot of people were complaining about servers being down, too). By the time you re-did all of this the repository was back in synch and things worked. I would bet that if you put the old drive back and from the command line tell it to do the upgrade, or better yet dist-upgrade, it will work, too.

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
                  Sounds like you ended up upgrading to 12.04.01
                  This is the 12.10 thread

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    This is the 12.10 thread
                    Oops, so it is!, my mistake. Same problem can occur, though, even in testing if the repository isn't fully updated when one updates. Might be even more likely on the betas.

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
                      Oops, so it is!, my mistake. Same problem can occur, though, even in testing if the repository isn't fully updated when one updates. Might be even more likely on the betas.
                      Much more likely, actually

Comment

Working...
                      X