• Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdenlive to be removed

anyone else getting this?

The following packages will be REMOVED:
    kdenlive libmlt4
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    fonts-freefont-ttf libasprintf0c2 libasprintf0c2:i386 libintl-perl libktorrent4 libmlt5 libsox2 libudisks2-0 libyajl2
    ubuntu-drivers-common
    The following packages have been kept back:
    oss-compat wine xserver-xorg-video-mga
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    apport apport-gtk apport-kde dictionaries-common ed gettext-base gir1.2-pango-1.0 gmusicbrowser grub-common grub-pc
    grub-pc-bin grub2-common gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-bin gvfs-common gvfs-daemons gvfs-libs ktorrent ktorrent-data
    libcmis-0.2-0 libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-drivers libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx
    libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglapi-mesa libglapi-mesa:i386 libglu1-mesa libglu1-mesa:i386 libgrip0 libkpathsea6
    libktorrent-l10n libmlt++3 libofx4 libopenvg1-mesa libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-0:i386 libpaper-utils libpaper1 libraptor2-0
    libsox-fmt-alsa libsox-fmt-base libwayland0 libxatracker1 melt module-init-tools nvidia-common pastebinit python-apport
    python-debtagshw python-launchpadlib python-problem-report shared-mime-info ttf-freefont update-notifier-common virtualbox
    virtualbox-dkms virtualbox-guest-additions-iso virtualbox-qt xserver-common xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-video-intel
    xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
    66 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 2 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

What were you trying to do when you got that message?

frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

update && dist-upgrade
      (yeah, i know upgrade vs aptitude safe-upgrade etc.... I do try it all, just wondering if anyone else gets it)
      by the by, with aptitude safe-upgrade it says

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
      [sudo] password for buzzmandt:
      Resolving dependencies...
      Unable to resolve dependencies for the upgrade: no solution found.
      Unable to safely resolve dependencies, try running with --full-resolver.
      buzzmandt@buzzmandt-1:~$

Comment

Hopefully this explanation will give you some insight on why this is occurring, and about software in general.

Kdenlive depends on the "Media Lovin' Toolkit" (MLT) library so it can use its various functions for video manipulation. Now, since libraries are meant to be able to be used by multiple applications, they cannot make major changes without bumping what is called the "ABI version" number. (ABI stands for Application Binary Interface) Currently on your computer, you have the package libmlt4 installed. In this case, the abi number is 4, which is what the abi for MLT 0.7.7 was. In MLT 0.7.9 they are making changes that will break applications using the current libmlt, so they bumped the ABI version to 5. Following this, Ubuntu has renamed the package to "libmlt5".

Now, generally the old (e.g. libmlt4) and new (libmlt5) libraries are co-installable, but due to the way that MLT is packaged (and according to your experiences), this seems to not be the case for MLT. In this case the old and new libmlt packages probably contain files other than the library that share the same name in both packages, making it so that both cannot be installed at the same time.

This kind of breakage is especially common in this stage of the development period (we haven't even hit alpha 1 yet), and come with the territory of doing updates to the software packages for new upstream releases. They're generally solved fairly quickly, but it's still a good idea to expect that things like this will happen when using a development version of K/Ubuntu.

At any rate, all that should be required is for kdenlive to be rebuilt against the new MLT. I'll look in to this once I get home from work tonight.

Comment

Thanks J
          I like the 'in common english please' explanation, nicely done.

I've been dev testing since about 6 yrs ago and i'm familiar with this sort of thing popping up. I usually let it ride for a week or two before mentioning it since it is common in dev testing. it's been about a week so i mentioned it. As much for others to be aware of it as in asking if it's just on my end.

I shall wait a bit longer then.

Comment

I've kicked off a rebuild of kdenlive, so a fix should be ready in the coming hour or so.

Comment

John:

I've kicked off a rebuild of kdenlive, so a fix should be ready in the coming hour or so.
              Thanks so much. What a wonderfully quick response!

I'm not using the development version, but I sure like the stable releases of KDEnlive. Amazing product!

Frank.
              Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
                Thanks so much. What a wonderfully quick response!
                Yup, he and the Kubuntu dev team are amazing folks!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X