This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent upgrade broke sound

Need to get my sound working again. I'd planned to upgrade to 16.04 but for some inescapable reason my computer will not boot from anything but the SSD, so it looks like 12.04 will have to soldier on a little longer. But if getting the sound working again is too hard I'll get a new SSD now.

I'm using onboard sound, nothing fancy. The motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard. Pretty old now but still getting things done.
    Last edited by Jeremy_Ray; Jul 12, 2016, 12:59 PM.

I've made one tiny amount of progress. In System Settings>Audio and Video Settings>Device Preference it shows five options, two of which are greyed out. The options are -

Barts HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6800 Series] Digital Stereo (HDMI)

Built-in Audio Analog Stereo

Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series] Digital Stereo (HDMI)

Dummy Output (greyed out)

VX1 Analog Stereo (greyed out)

When tested, Barts HDMI quietly plays the test music through the headphones, which are plugged into the headphone port on the motherboard.

Built-in and Cape Verde produce no sound when tested.

So it looks like I've got two outputs associated with my video cards, and one associated with my motherboard. I'm not counting the greyed out options. I don't know why testing Barts HDMI gives me sound through headphones plugged into the motherboard. Too bad my monitors don't have a headphone jack on them.

Comment

Have you installed mesa opencl icd

https://community.amd.com/thread/199447
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

A little more progress - Barts HDMI was playing through the monitor speakers, not the headphone jack on the motherboard. I didn't know the monitor had speakers. That explains why the sound was so quiet. They must be tiny.

I've got my sound working, but only through the monitor speakers, which I don't want at all.

Under System Settings>Audio and Video Settings>Audio Hardware Setup>Sound Card, Barts HDMI is selected at boot. I've tried selecting/applying Built-in Audio, and setting Built-in Audio as the first preference in Device Preference. After applying and rebooting, Built-in Audio is still selected in Device Preference, but Barts HDMI is selected again under Sound Card. I've yet to get any audio out of Built-in Audio.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

No, it's not clear from the link how to do it.

Comment

I'm not having any luck with the various audio settings.

I ran this -

Code:
          wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && chmod +x ./alsa-info.sh && ./alsa-info.sh
          And the results are here - Link

Comment

In the link I gave you the OP said that he got sound from his HDMI sound card (same as yours) by installing
            sudo apt-get install mesa-opencli-icd
            and making a soft link from libOpenCL.so to libOpenCL.so.1, probably in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/.

Others haver reported that one of the following workarounds have solved their problem:
            Since kernel 3.0, upstream has disabled audio output for all ATI cards in the Radeon driver by default.

=== Workaround 1 ===

Edit /etc/default/grub and change this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to this line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"

Now run "sudo update-grub", then reboot your computer.

=== Or workaround 2 ===

Install the proprietary Catalyst driver.

===
            If none of those solutions work then the problem is probably due to a regression in the kernel. and down grading to the kernel you used in 14.04 (that worked) may help.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I think there's some confusion.

I have sound through the video card (via Barts HDMI), to a monitor, but I don't have a headphone jack on the monitor. I need to use the jack on the motherboard. I assume that jack is supposed to get its sound through "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo." Am I wrong?

I'm using 12.04. I've also been trying to upgrade to 14.04 or 16.04, but I'm having a different issue with not being able to boot from dvdrom while the ssd is hooked up.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

opencl must be for a version after 12.04. I ran
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install mesa-opencl-icd
                and got
                Code:
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree       
                Reading state information... Done
                E: Unable to locate package mesa-opencl-icd

Comment

Ah, 12.04. I didn't catch that, sorry.

A method to install that package on 12.04 is here.

Comment

My cpu is AMD, shouldn't I install this one instead? Although it says it is for 14.04, not 12.04.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy_Ray View Post
                      My cpu is AMD, shouldn't I install this one instead? Although it says it is for 14.04, not 12.04.
                      I don't know if installing a 14.04 GPU package on a 12.04 system will work or not. If you do install it I'd follow the instructions given in a pdf here. It also includes removal instructions if things don't work right. If they don't work right that probably means you are getting a black screen after logging in and you will have to boot from the grub menu recovery mode and log in as root in a console to remove the app and reinstall
                      xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

from the reposiotry
                      Good luck.

Comment

That's a little too adventuresome for my tastes.

Comment

I found a way to install 16.04 and now I have sound again.

Comment

Working...
                          X