This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin no longer showing image dimentions

Dolphin used to show image dimensions in the info panel on the side when you highlighted an image file. It disappeared quite a while back. I was told that in KDE 4.13.3 and on it would be fixed, this has not happened. Allegedly there was a bug, but that was fixed. Also certain EXIF packages were needed to extract that info, but I seem to have those installed and they do nothing in Dolphin.
    My info panel only shows, Type, Size, Rating, Comment and Tags. Is anyone familiar with a setting perhaps I am missing? Or is this still broken in Dolphin 4.14.2? I know that Gwenview can do this but I need Dolphin for this workflow.
    Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

I don't think this is broken in 12.04. I show image dimensions in Dolphin. I never changed the default settings in Dolphin.

Here are my specs:
    Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS
    KDE Development Platform: 4.8.5 (4.8.5)
    sigpic

Comment

Correct it should be fine until KDE 4.10 to 4.11 sometime. I am not sure where it died.

Comment

With Dolphin open, right-click within the right-side pane and click on Configure... to see all the options, including Height and Width.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          With Dolphin open, right-click within the right-side pane and click on Configure... to see all the options, including Height and Width.
          The only other options to check are, Modified, Owner, and Permissions. No other options exist.

Comment

Try this.

Select a picture. Right click on the area where the tag info shows. Then choose configure. Check the boxes for Height and Width. You'll have to scroll to make your selections.

sigpic

Comment

Dimensions in dolphin

Older Kubuntu Forums thread - No image dimensions in dolphin: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ons-in-dolphin

- must use the Nepomuk -> if not indexed then no metadata.
              - this was with the KDE 4.8.2 - fixed with the KDE 4.9 and the fix was backported to the KDE 4.8.X

KDE4 & Baloo problems
              (are you using the desktop search ?)

The Baloo is slowing down the metadata retrieve - Dolphin Tooltip for jpegs taking 5 seconds to generate?: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=223&t=123417

The Baloo can't understand symlinks:

If the the directory/files are symlinked then the Baloo can't index the file and the KDE file manager (Dolphin) can't show the metadata.

If the desktop search/Baloo is disabled then metadata will be shown. Or you start the file manager directly to the directory.

Last edited by OneLine; Apr 23, 2015, 03:31 AM.
              Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
              - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
                Try this.

Select a picture. Right click on the area where the tag info shows. Then choose configure. Check the boxes for Height and Width. You'll have to scroll to make your selections.
                That is exactly how it used to work. But the only options I have are those I previously listed.

I did however find that if I go to View/ Adjust View Properties/ Additional Information (button), I then get the longer list of options, and Image Size is listed there. However ticking it just adds a blank line under the image file as well as not showing any EXIF data in the info panel.

Comment

Originally posted by OneLine View Post
                  Older Kubuntu Forums thread - No image dimensions in dolphin: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ons-in-dolphin

- must use the Nepomuk -> if not indexed then no metadata.
                  - this was with the KDE 4.8.2 - fixed with the KDE 4.9 and the fix was backported to the KDE 4.8.X

KDE4 & Baloo problems
                  (are you using the desktop search ?)

The Baloo is slowing down the metadata retrieve - Dolphin Tooltip for jpegs taking 5 seconds to generate?: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=223&t=123417

The Baloo can't understand symlinks:

If the the directory/files are symlinked then the Baloo can't index the file and the KDE file manager (Dolphin) can't show the metadata.

If the desktop search/Baloo is disabled then metadata will be shown. Or you start the file manager directly to the directory.
                  I do not have anything indexed. Neopomuk has always been turned off in any version of KDE that I have used. Baloo is not running either.

Dolphin used to show this data with all that disabled, I used it a lot, and I am very good at customizing Dolphin. But as I said somewhere 4.11 it disappeared. And as an added annoyance I can't use "Find" in Dolphin anymore, it gives the message "Invalid Protocol". So something is not right with Dolphin.

Comment

But as I said somewhere 4.11 it disappeared. And as an added annoyance I can't use "Find" in Dolphin anymore, it gives the message "Invalid Protocol". So something is not right with Dolphin.
                    Earlier: [SOLVED] Dolphin find tool does not work anymore always "invalid protocol" : https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-protocol-quot
                    Try Me !

Comment

Working...
                    X