Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken Amarok and other wierd configurations.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Amarok and other wierd configurations.

Since a Kernel update for 12.04LTS (which one I'm unsure - as all kernels 71 to 77 have the same issue) weird things are occurring. First my biggest issue is Amarok not running it will open but there is no functionality (which prompted me to mess around with other players) there is something happening in the background of which I've saved a few output files from Konsole (though they never save as they started) .

I used
    Code:
    sudo amarok --debug
    amarok-debug.txtamarok-debug1.txtkonsole12.txtClick image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	648908

The last attachment is for showing how my clock is mushed up with the date another issue I want to fix.
    Some help figuring out the issues would be grand.
    Last edited by phonic-otg; Feb 28, 2015, 02:55 AM.

Also I tried to use the following command as claydoh in another post stated using sudo with GUI's is not stellar and may explain why I occasionally get permission errors that snowhog mentioned could happen in the same post, https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...emon-s-address.
    Code:
    kdesudo amarok --debug
    This gave me a 'debug' not found so I am assuming that kdesudo won't do the debug.
    Any way with kdesudo, amarok seems to work (it opened and had no configurations I placed, even system colours were not used- i assume this is because it's running as root) fine.
    I didn't get any debug info in konsole though. So I tried again with the sudo amarok --debug. This time amarok opened but would not respond and this non responsiveness has seeped out into the rest of the system except for firefox which was open and up when I tried the second instance of amarok for debugging.

Could anyone explain why when I use --debug it starts in konsole with lovely coloured text yet when I save the output none of the coloured text is there and only half the info seems to be saved?
    Last edited by phonic-otg; Feb 27, 2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Why are you running amarok with sudo privileges again? There is zero, nil, no, nada, any reason or need to run this with admin privileges
      You don't need sudo to run with debug

amarok --debug is how you would run it.

You would do better to run Amarok and take screenshots perhaps, to show us what "no functionality" means, the debug iirc is more to find what is happening when there is a crash, but it can help someone with other elements if they know what and where to look in the voluminous output generated.

As to saving the text output, copying and pasting won't save colors, there is no way to save that particular info, as the colors you see are generated by the terminal emulator itself, not in the output that is sent to it. As to how much is saved, that is likely because most terminals have a default limit of how many lines the scroll back will go. One can pipe the output directly to a text file while it is running, but that can get huge.

As to the clock, it probably needs to have the panel height increased some - can't remember that far back to 12.04, but the clock always was finicky with the padding and panel size, especially if bold or italic were chosen in the settings.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Why are you running amarok with sudo privileges again?
        It actually was not intentional. Being lazy, typing wise, I had used the up key in the CL and neglected to "home" and delete sudo.

You would do better to run Amarok and take screenshots perhaps, to show us what "no functionality" means, the debug iirc is more to find what is happening when there is a crash, but it can help someone with other elements if they know what and where to look in the voluminous output generated.
        There was exactly zero, nil, no, nada, any functionality period, just a pretty picture, I even have to use ksysgaurd to forcibly kill the processes. Logically a screenshot would not show a non-functioning GUI, ever, unless the issue is graphical. A video might.

You don't need sudo to run with debug
        Good to know.

As to saving the text output, copying and pasting won't save colors, there is no way to save that particular info, as the colors you see are generated by the terminal emulator itself, not in the output that is sent to it. As to how much is saved, that is likely because most terminals have a default limit of how many lines the scroll back will go. One can pipe the output directly to a text file while it is running, but that can get huge.
        I was aware that the colours were generated by the konsole and poorly phrased the query deary. What I was meaning to say and badly alluding to is the beginning of the debug was not saved. As you have informed me of the text limit it looks as if I need to "pipe" it to a .txt for accuracy.

As to the clock, it probably needs to have the panel height increased some - can't remember that far back to 12.04, but the clock always was finicky with the padding and panel size, especially if bold or italic were chosen in the settings.
        Also good to know as I'm going to update to 14.04 when I get a new HDD.

Thanks for the chastising, now onward I go in the search for amarok help. The panel did need an extra millimetre to correct the "mush".
        Last edited by phonic-otg; Feb 28, 2015, 12:53 AM.

Comment

More info. (nutshell=Amarok vs k3b burnt CD scrag fight)
          Taking the info about saving konsole output hinted at by claydoh I "googled" and went here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=847017 and modified code
          Code:
          { echo dpkg --get-selections; dpkg --get-selections; } > installed-software
          TO
          Code:
          { echo amarok --debug; amarok --debug; } > amarokdebug28022015
          but to unhelpful results. A file containing no info other than
          amarok --debug
          So I re-modified with the following code to get an empty file
          Code:
           amarok --debug > amarokdebug28022015
          I FREELY ADMIT I'M WINGING IT AS TO WHAT THE CODE MEANS

In messing around when amarok functions returned I grabbed the closest CD a K3B burnt one, popped it in the CD/DVD drive only to loose all functions (no clicky -anywhere including the plasma panel) until the CD was ejected manually. So I tried with a store bought CD and no issues with the amarok GUI. I could drag a track from the CD to the playlist but the track would not play. Ironically the radio station that was in the playlist did play.
          On my way to solving this.

I had to save output from konsole manually with better info in it. (still not fully there - as in all output)
          M U S T L E A R N M O R E .....lol
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X