This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GKSU and Gedit problems

For the past year my old laptop has been going through the Kubuntu upgrades from 12.04 to 14.04. Things were fine until Nov. 2014 when a daily upgrade started causing video problems. I finally got tired of the issue and went through the process to go back to 12.04.

I can say that 12.04 is running fine but there are a few things when I run commands from the terminal.

1. Gedit works but it throws a lot of error messages in the terminal:

Code:
    (gedit:2417): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_css_section_get_file: assertion `section != NULL' failed

(gedit:2417): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_css_section_get_end_position: assertion `section != NULL' failed

(gedit:2417): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_css_section_get_end_line: assertion `section != NULL' failed

(gedit:2417): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <data>:1:0: Unknown value 'GTK_SHADOW_NONE' for enum type 'GtkShadowType'

(gedit:2417): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_css_section_get_file: assertion `section != NULL' failed

(gedit:2417): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_css_section_get_end_position: assertion `section != NULL' failed

(gedit:2417): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_css_section_get_end_line: assertion `section != NULL' failed

(gedit:2417): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <data>:1:0: Unknown value 'GTK_SHADOW_NONE' for enum type 'GtkShadowType'

2.GKSU will try to open but when the password window opens, I supply my password but it won't accept it as a valid password.

At least I am not having the crazy video problems that 14.04 caused to my poor old HP pavillion zv500.

The final task will be to get Samba up and running to share with m desktop. I don't remember how I did it last time.
    Last edited by urdrwho5; Feb 13, 2015, 05:44 PM.

Hi
    Why you use Gedit on Kubuntu ? Kubuntu have kate as default text editor.

Comment

Both gksu and gedit should work in Kubuntu (if you have the packages installed...they are not installed by default), but are gnome software, Kubuntu equivalents are kdesudo and kate (like Baymax already mentioned), so "kdesudo kate" should get you a text editor as root.

Like I said, gksu and gedit should still work if you have them installed. Looking at your gedit errors, they look like gtk theme errors. I can't say anything about the gksu problem without more information.
      Last edited by kubicle; Feb 14, 2015, 02:43 AM.

Comment

I knew of Kate but not Kdesudo. In the past year since I installed a Linux flavor, it seemed like everywhere on the Internet you go for help they have the gksu / gedit command.

Tried the kdesudo / kate command kate opened the file but I also got errors --

Code:
        kdesudo kate /etc/sysctl.conf
        QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
        Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
        QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
        kbuildsycoca4 running...
        kbuildsycoca4(3360) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in "/usr/share/applications/kde4/bluedevil-network-dun.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon). 
        kbuildsycoca4(3360) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in "/usr/share/applications/kde4/bluedevil-network-panu.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon). 
        kbuildsycoca4(3360) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Actions in "/usr/share/applications/thunderbird.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon). 
        kbuildsycoca4(3360) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in "/usr/share/applications/im-switch.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon). 
        QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
        QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
        Left out the Kdesudo and Kate opened but still a few errors

Code:
        kate /etc/sysctl.conf
        There weren't any problems during installation. I know that after installation there was a large update.

This isn't a deal killer but it is an annoyance to my search for a 100% working OS. Not sure what happened?

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
        Both gksu and gedit should work in Kubuntu (if you have the packages installed...they are not installed by default), but are gnome software, Kubuntu equivalents are kdesudo and kate (like Baymax already mentioned), so "kdesudo kate" should get you a text editor as root.

Like I said, gksu and gedit should still work if you have them installed. Looking at your gedit errors, they look like gtk theme errors. I can't say anything about the gksu problem without more information.

Comment

The output messages you're seeing are quite normal debug messages (kde software can be fairly verbal when run from the command line)...They aren't hard errors as long as the program runs as expected.

You can tone down the verbosity somewhat (but not altogether) by disabling debug info with kdebugdialog. That is, run "kdebugdialog" and disable debug output, then run "kdesudo kdebugdialog" to do the same for root. It won't eliminate all output, but should tidy the output (and logfiles) a bit.

it seemed like everywhere on the Internet you go for help they have the gksu / gedit command.
          Yes, many distros have these installed by default...and users tend to use the software they are familiar with when writing howtos.

Comment

Thanks

I'll give that a try and let ya know.

On 14.04 I didn't receive any of the messages so I was thinking something was amiss.

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
            The output messages you're seeing are quite normal debug messages (kde software can be fairly verbal when run from the command line)...They aren't hard errors as long as the program runs as expected.

You can tone down the verbosity somewhat (but not altogether) by disabling debug info with kdebugdialog. That is, run "kdebugdialog" and disable debug output, then run "kdesudo kdebugdialog" to do the same for root. It won't eliminate all output, but should tidy the output (and logfiles) a bit.

Yes, many distros have these installed by default...and users tend to use the software they are familiar with when writing howtos.

Comment

I get errors with gedit and kate, but they come up and edit fine, so I jsut ignore them. Happens on both 14.04 and 14.10 computers

Comment

Working...
              X