This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen after KDM login no prompt

About 1.5 days ago 143 updates showed up. I finally decided to update/install them using Muon as I do. It was after midnight so technically 1/1/15, and the updates came into the notification system in 2014.

All appeared ok, no restart needed, I logged out, came back and after I logged into the KDM I got a black screen, no prompt. This is usually where the Icons show the various parts loading. So I hit the power button (because there was no other way to reboot). The screen flashed the KDM wallpaper for a second but not the actual GUI elements and rebooted.

All was normal until I logged into the KDM and again blank black screen, but system was running in background.

I thought X was not running but could not get it to start, because it was telling me it was running. I can get a tty but could not go anywhere.

I have tried to update but cannot because I cannot get the internet/network suddenly in this state.

I tried to create a new user to log into that to see if it was possible, user created but cannot get in because it says cannot enter home /. , and problems with kde/share/config/knotifyrc & /kactivitymanagerdrc.

I was getting an error about "updating into the future" and my KDM date/time shows Dec 29/14 around 10pm, but my actual clock when I updated showed the correct time/date.

Oh and here is the zuper-fun part... I use a Vizio HDTV as a monitor, the resolution for Grub/Boot is around 720p, so the menu (grub) and any terminal you try to access is off screen by 1/4th. So trying to type in terminal is a few lines BELOW my screen. It's a fun game to guess what the questions are.

So any thoughts on what happened & how to fix? I am actually thinking that I may have to install 14.04 to fix this.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

I have no clue how to solve this, others here may.
    Booting from a live USB or DVD will allow you to get access to your HD to make changes to config files and backup some stuff
    After backup and making a list of programs you installed after the initial install, I'd go for a reinstall from live media.
    Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
    linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
    A good place to start:
    Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Working...
    X