X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knetattach crashes on login

Hi
    I've just installed the latest security/bugfixes including some for Kde and the latest kernel for 12.04 and now every time i login i get a system information notification error saying an application has crashed now or in the past. This is caused by knetattach crashing. I am unable to send an error report as apparently the report has been truncated and can't be sent. Any ideas? This happened a couple of years ago but dissapeared with some kde bug/security fixes.

regards

paradox

This happens intermittently to me. I just acknowledge, relaunch, and move on. A little googling shows some bug reports, but I don't see where it was ever resolved.

Here is an older post on this forum about it.
    The application KNetAttach has closed unexpectedly
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
      This happens intermittently to me. I just acknowledge, relaunch, and move on. A little googling shows some bug reports, but I don't see where it was ever resolved.

Here is an older post on this forum about it.
      The application KNetAttach has closed unexpectedly
      Thanks i was just more curious than concerned. As you say it doesn't seem to have much of an impact

Comment

Oh dear, I used to have this annoying crash myself just about every day. It stopped a few months ago, thankfully after some update. I saw that the updates yesterday included KNetAttach and I wondered if this might upset things again!

So far, I've only restarted and started my system once without issue ... hope it is OK.
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Great ... now it crashes every start/restart probably worse than it did originally

I also get another error when I click on the Continue button from the original KNetAttach crash:

"Invalid problem report - Apport KDE

This problem report is damaged and cannot be processed.

IOError(u'Invalid core dump: BFD: Warning: /tmp/tmpuW3ZP0 is truncated: expected core file size >= 60002304, found: 2162688.',)"

I could probably avoid that error if I uncheck the "Send crash report" box. I just noticed the original poster mentioned the truncated error message too.

Maybe it's time to upgrade to 14.04?
          Last edited by Rod J; Nov 26, 2014, 08:21 PM. Reason: adding info
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Earlier today I learned about the Network item in Dolphin's Places panel (yes, after all these years, I've never used that before). Adding a network folder here runs the knetattach binary, which configures a network place. The resulting .desktop file is stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/remoteview/. Take a look in that subdirectory on your PC. Do you have any .desktop files? If so, perhaps one of them is corrupt, and knetattach is failing. Try deleting the files there.

Comment

I only have one .desktop file there: UltraPlus.desktop. It's a link to my FreeView satellite PVR. It's contents are:

[Desktop Entry]
              Charset=
              Icon=folder-remote
              Name=UltraPlus
              Type=Link
              URL=smb://172.16.0.4/STORAGE/HDD/Recordings/

Looks OK to me.

Comment

If you temporarily move that someplace else, does the error at least go away? It's a long shot guess, I'll admit.

Comment

I don't have any files at all in that directory.

Comment

Well, like I said... long-shot guess.

Comment

I'm getting this after the latest updates.

I don't think there are any issues. It just couldn't send the error report. KNetAttach relaunched.

These packages were upgrade on my system today.
                      Code:
                      The following packages will be upgraded:
                        flac libflac++6 libflac8 libksba8
                      4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                      For me KNetAttach crashes have happened from day one and are intermittent, so I really can't say what caused it this time. The only thing new this time is the problem report is damaged.
                      sigpic

Comment

The crash file is here.
                        Code:
                        life0riley@life0riley-desktop:~$ cd /var/crash
                        life0riley@life0riley-desktop:/var/crash$ 
                        life0riley@life0riley-desktop:/var/crash$ ls -lt
                        total 712
                        -rw-r----- 1 life0riley life0riley 728166 Nov 28 20:59 _usr_bin_nepomukservicestub.1001.crash
                        -rw-rw-r-- 1 life0riley life0riley      0 Nov 23 15:37 _usr_bin_nepomukservicestub.1001.upload
                        life0riley@life0riley-desktop:/var/crash$
                        I compared it to an old crash file I saved, and it is definitely truncated. Is it possible that it gets truncated because it is too large?

This is the file from today.
                        http://paste.ubuntu.com/9294179/

Compare this to an older one from 2013.
                        http://paste.ubuntu.com/9294238/
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, it's been a few days now without any KNetAttach crash after several starts/restarts, so it looks like a later update may have resolved the problem with my system at least.

I hope others are having the same experience.

Comment

I just had a KNetAttach crash today.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X