This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12.04 update broke Internet?

I took the updates from Muon updater today. Sorry, didn't check very carefully, but just to notice a new kernel: vmlinuz-3.2.0.67-generic-pae). Seems to have broke my Internet connection to my Desktop 12.04. (Actually, this update was offered a day or two ago, but I only took it today.)

(The laptop on my network here with Windows 8.1 works OK, so the CenturyLink DSL is working.)

Then, I rebooted the Desktop 12.04, this time selecting the previous kernel (vmlinuz-3.2.0.65-generic-pae), and now everything works OK.

Any ideas what has happened with here? or how/what to fix?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

To clarify: Using the new kernel -0.67, my modem works OK; but neither Firefox nor Chrome can access the Internet.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Oops, never mind, sorry. Strange events happen now and then. Like something split-second fleeting with the DSL, though the modem lights looked OK. Further details would only bore you. The kernel 0.067 seems to be working now w/Internet OK.

Comment

Footnote:

It was CenturyLink DSL flickering, fleetingly, subtly, and coincidentally to my 12.04 upgrade. It happened not-so-subtly again two days later, on Sunday. This time, I spent 40 minutes on the phone with C-L tech who told me correctly that my modem was working both up and down, and we reset it, and changed a password, and ... well you know. But that, he said, was the extent of his authorized "scope."

Well, you google around and find sites that track and report these things, and I did, and I found things, like C-L having problems for a week in the West regions right up until the very minute I had mine.

Learning new things about how this game is played! Couldn't CenturyLink have simply told me, rather than stepping me through a multi-step diagnostic and leaving me hanging with "everything looks fine from here"?

Google came in fine (does that mean they spend more on Internet infrastructure?).

Footnote:

Funny thing is, I had Earthlink since 1998, until six months ago. Earthlink's infrastructure was Qwest and then CenturyLink after CenturyLink bought Qwest. I had no problems in all that time with my DSL. Now, I've had two issues that I've detected in just six months from CenturyLink, which I moved to because of speed and it is right down the street (literally, compete with new fiber optic structure). And there ya go.
        Last edited by Qqmike; Jul 22, 2014, 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I had exactly the same problem (but not cause) with 12.04. The new 3.2 kernel refused to allow ath9k to connect to my wireless. I switched to KWheezy last November because it connected to my wireless perfectly, and noticed that the reason was the kernel. It turned out that when Kubuntu 14.04 alpha was released it included the 3.8.x kernel I switched back to Kubuntu 14.04 on January 4, 2014 and haven't had a problem with my atheros AR9642 chip since.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            The new 3.2 kernel refused to allow ath9k to connect to my wireless.
            The 3.2 kernel new? I'm currently using 3.14 kernel but that's no longer new as the latest version I can download is 3.15

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
              The 3.2 kernel new? I'm currently using 3.14 kernel but that's no longer new as the latest version I can download is 3.15
              That was last October, not now, and for the 12.04 LTS, which doesn't ride the bleeding edge. I learned that the ath9k driver worked again under 3.9, but at the time Precise didn't have that option in the repository. I discovered that KWheezy did, and on trying it my wifi worked again. I ran KWheezy for two months, until the alpha of 14.04 came out, which had the 3.9 kernel. It has been updated regularly and I am now running the 3.13.0-32-generic kernel, and my wifi connection is as solid as a rock.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X