This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Print to file [selection] PDF -- no longer avaliable

I use the Print to File/Selection quite a lot. Recently it is unavaliable. Is this a KDE? Kubuntu? Firefox? CUPS? issue. Anyone know?
    Not sure when it changed exactly. I only remember the Print interface in the new Firefox changed and I can no longer do anything other than PDF the whole document or specific pages.

So sad because it was getting so handy, now we jumped back a few years.
    Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

It's available here.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Print2PDFSelection.png
Views:	1
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	642307
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, "Current Page" & "Selection" are grayed out. They stopped working/being avaliable.

Mine looks like claydoh's screen.

Comment

This is what my screen looks like. Any thoughts why it would no longer give me the selection option?

Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf section missing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	642369

Comment

I did some experimenting here. I navigated to a web page and selected some text. Then I chose Print from the Firefox dropdown menu:

Firefox switched to a print preview mode, and indeed, the abilty to choose Selection was disabled. Then I turned on the menu bar and again selected some text on the page. I chose File -> Print from the menu bar and -- behold -- the option to print the selected text was available:

So you will need to enable the menu bar in Firefox to obtain this functionality.

Comment

Thank you for brainstorming on that. I usually use the printer icon and rarely use the new menu. Good to know the behavior is the same. But it made me think, if the old menu bar works, what about the keyboard shortcut? So I tried that and it also lets you enable "selection". I did not think to try printing from all the options.
            I am guessing this is a Firefox problem, especially because the selected text that is printed shows up on the saved pdf exactly where you highlighted it. This is how it used to be in Kmint 10.

Regardless, I am so happy to at least have the function back. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X